Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Remembering one's childhood....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

A little blast from my past I found yesterday on YouTube...

well, it reminds me of it, anyway.� This isnt my work, just had to share...
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
Holy Belldandy! I didn't make the connection until the first exterior shot, then it hit me like a ton of bricks. I *had* one of those when I was about 6,
and it's stunning how vivid the memories still are considering that I haven't even thought about it in a good two decades.

Wow... but... they didn't do the come-apart-and-reconfigure thing! The ball turret is supposed to turn into a lifepod, and the bow section comes off and
attaches to the core engine which pulls out of the main hull, and the winglets detatch to become small space fighters... or was that last one just me? I made
so *many* ships out of that thing (probably inspired by exposure to whatever version of Gatchaman was on US Sat-AM TV in the mid-70s). Excuse me, I have to go
check EBay now....

....sigh. None. Not that I could have justified spending what one would probably sell for, now.

....although... if this guy's 3D model is good enough, and someone had a decent export engine... maybe it's time to invest in one of the
desktopfactory.com units after all....
Yes, it does do the reconfigure thing. Dont recall about the ball turret supposedly being a lifeboat, but your correct about the rest... you forgot one
though. The head can also slip the cobra shaped part and become a really small square but fast fighter too.

Dunno if he'd be willing to share the model, but I've been blendering and blundering away at my own version since a similar idea crawled between my
ears and refused to move out..

NO QUARTER!!!
I actually still have one of these. Original box. All parts in order. Just a teensy bit of wear on the decals and a little bit of yellowing along the plastic
seams where the glue has aged. The only thing wrong with it is that the sound pitch for the engine when you tilt it will not go down. You have to turn it off
and hold it down. After a minute when you turn it back on again, the engine is reset at the low pitch (and will go up again). But the guns still light up and
fire. The sound for the guns is as good as it was back then.

Otherwise my Starbird is pristine. It sits in my closet usually in it's box, safe from extremes of light and temp. I sometimes get it out and fiddle around
with it. Reconfigure it so that the front pod is attached directly to the main engine for the "fighter" version. Turn the ball turret around, detach
the wing fighter drones and such.

It's still one of the prettiest toy spaceships there ever was.

No. I'm not selling it. ^_^
Um. It looks familiar, but I can't put my finger on what it is.

Might be because I'm a bit older than most of you guys...
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Quite possibly.

I had flashbacks to an old movie called "EarthStar Voyager", myself... which itself was all kinds of cool, at the time, even with the Atari graphics
on the bridge consoles.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
You're right Logan. I do...

[Image: sbv1r1nl0.th.jpg]
First pass, rough geometry in place.  No texturing or materials yet applied...
and a similar first pass for the wing parasite fighters:
[Image: wpv1r1oa2.th.jpg]

NO QUARTER!!!
So, um, what is it? Someone please inform me? Thanks.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Here y'go.

--Sam

"Why does my mind have wings?"