Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Want suggestions for Canada
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Apparently,. I am going to Toronto, Canada. Suggestions on what to do there, if my hosts haven't already arranged it, are solicited from the people on this
forum.
Well, I left when I was seven, but let me think...

Casa Loma, a manor house/castle that was used as the interior of the X-Mansion in the movies.

The CN Tower, a scary tall building for the sake of having a scary tall building.

The Toronto Zoo.

--Sam

"Elf finger magic. I hate that."
The Bata Shoe Museum, 327 Bloor Street West. http://.www.batashoemuseum.ca
I kid you not. A great place to spend an afternoon or more.

Casa Loma, 1 Austin Terrace. http://www.casaloma.org
Classic castle-built-by-19th-century-rich-guy. Wonderful place, I attended a relative's wedding and reception there. Plus it was the site where they shot the interiors of Xavier's school for the first X-Men film; my wife's cousin was married in the room where Storm holds her class.

The CN Tower, of course. There's a great and not-too-expensive rotating restaurant at the top.

The SkyDome, the stadium where the Blue Jays play, has a great "behind the scenes" tour.

If you're there in August, there's the Natonal Exhibition (I think that's what it's called).

If you're into Hockey, the Hockey Hall of Fame is located at one end of a mall at 30 Yonge Street.

In the same mall is a market style restaurant called "Marche Movenpick". It's a bit on the pricey side, but it's damned good food.

The Royal Ontario Museum is a great place to spend several days all by itself.

Likewise the Ontario Science Center.

Mmm. If you want some interesting ideas, you might want to check out some of the early stories in EPU's Symphony of the Sword, several of which have whole sections about trips to Toronto, and despite being set some 500 years in the future, it's all stuff that's there right now.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
I went to Toronto once. The bit I really enjoyed was a visit to a nearby nature reserve (or whatever the equivalent is). A quick check on Google maps - the
"Algonquin Provincial Park". It's quite near. I didn't visit Casa Loma - I have a hard time regarding a twentieth century building as
historical. I remember the CN tower, so it's probably worth a visit.

CrimsonKMR

I've never left the country [Image: frown.gif] Sorry I can't help
There is no coincidence, only necessity....
- Clow Reed
Quote:Casa Loma
Website
Quote:The CN Tower
Website
Quote:The Toronto Zoo.
Website
Quote:The SkyDome, the stadium where the Blue Jays play, has a great "behind the scenes" tour.
Now called the "Rogers Centre". (Stupid corprate branding...)
Quote:If you're there in August, there's the Natonal Exhibition (I think that's what it's called).
Formally the "Canadian National Exhibition", usually just called "The Ex".
Quote:If you're into Hockey, the Hockey Hall of Fame is located at one end of a mall at 30 Yonge Street.
Website
Quote:In the same mall is a market style restaurant called "Marche Movenpick". It's a bit on the pricey side, but it's damned good food.
They're part of a chain, actually. (There's one in Ottawa, too.) I'm not going to bother finding the website for this one...
Quote:The Royal Ontario Museum is a great place to spend several days all by itself.
Website
Quote:Likewise the Ontario Science Center.
Website
Quote:A quick check on Google maps - the "Algonquin Provincial Park". It's quite near.
For a generous definition of "quite near". It's closer to Toronto than Ottawa is, but it's still a couple of hours away by car... And mind the blackflies and mosquitos. (Oh, yes... website.)

Other possibilities:

You might be interested in a tour of Queen's Park, the home of the Parliament of Ontario.

I've been reliably informed that the Pearl Harbourfront Restaurant serves an excellent dim sum. But that's just hearsay; whenever I'm in Toronto for a day, I head to Okonomi House for an inexpensive Japanese lunch instead. (Yes, every time. They're that good. Besides, I have yet to find a restaurant in Ottawa that serves okonomiyaki.)

Avenue Q will be performing at the Elgin Theatre for most of August. And there are many other shows, too - the live theatre scene in Toronto, in the middle of the entertainment district, has been favourably compared with those of New York City and London. (And the Stratford Festival is about as far away as Algonquin Park, but in a different direction. Likewise the Shaw Festival, in yet another direction. And if you're going to visit both Shaw and Stratford, consider buying a Via Rail Corridorpass to save money.)

Will you be in town for the Toronto International Film Festival?

Toronto is also home to Canada's Wonderland - if your tastes lean toward theme parks, it's worth at least a one-day visit.

Want to go shopping for anime collectables? Try Kikiwai (but mind the Taiwan-copy CDs).
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Best part of the CN Tower is the glass floor section. I admit it, I'm weak, I couldn't stand on it.
Oh, right, if you want comedy, you have to go to The Second City. It's right in the theatre district, and in addition to pay-for ticketed shows, they
sometimes have free improv nights where new cast members undergo live-fire training -- I think there might be a drink minimum at these shows, but I can't
remember for sure.

And yeah, Chris, the glass floor at the Tower was real nervous-making for me. I could edge onto it, but not much more than that.
-- Bob
---------
You could wave at me across the lake.

(I'm in Rochester, NY.)
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
Oh, yeah, another thing: The Royal Botanical Gardens. Technically not in Toronto, but an hour or so ouside of it, kinda westerly. Website.

-- Bob
---------
Cool. I won't run out of things to do in Canada.