Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: George Carlin, RIP
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Instead of the traditional moment of silence, I call for a solid five minutes of extreme profanity. It seems appropriate on several levels [Image: frown.gif]

--Sam

"I think it's the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
... and none of them would be broadcast on TV.

Tonight's forecast... Dark, and missing a source of humor that isn't JUST about swearing....
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
damn, I caught this on the Bad Place, and I thought they were joking 8 (

He will certainly be missed.
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies
I read this of RichardDawkins.net this morning,

Shit.

Shit.

Shit, piss, fuck, cunt, cocksucker, MOTHERFUCKER AND TITS!

One of the first 'real' dates I ever went on was to a George Carlin concert, more than 20 years ago. He was one of the first modern comedians that
got away from humor as jokes about us, and showed us we were the jokes.

There is less brilliant, insightful, sarcasm in the world today, and we shall feel the loss.

Shayne
One of his less-profane routines comes to mind: "Maybe I want to have a crappy day!" It seems appropriate...

(Ah, and here's the requisite http://www.cbc.ca/arts/story/2008/06/23 ... -obit.html]obit link.)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
I found out by reading Fark this morning, they had a link to ET's obit.

Peg and I once saw him live at the State Theatre in New Brunswick, a show that was filmed for an HBO special.

He will be sorely missed.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

CrimsonKMR

Damnit, it had always been something I wanted to do, see one of his shows live [Image: frown.gif]

Goodbye George
There is no coincidence, only necessity....
- Clow Reed
Blast, he was one of the few people I can say who had a large impact on my beliefs. No matter what you had to say about him, he made you think.

Guess I'll have to pull out the albums and do a marathon listening session.
In addition to being a brilliant comedian, Mr. Carlin was also a deeply enthusiastic student of the English language. In memoriam of his passing, I think I
might go down to the baseball diamond this afternoon and beat up Hitler's grandmother.

(Explanation: Carlin thought that you could create sentences in English that made complete syntactic and grammatical sense, but made no comprehensive sense to
be one of its best features. In a public television documentary on English, his example was, "This afternoon, I'm going down to the baseball diamond
to beat up Hitler's grandmother.")
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
This has not been a banner year -- and it's only half over.
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

Kurisu

(comes out of the shadows)

I had the honor of watching his performance at my High School when he was doing the "What am I Doing in New Jersey?" tour.

To quote his more recent show... "He'll always be in our thoughts" right between "My ass hurts from sitting in this
chair." and "When will this asshole shut the fuck up?"

(bows humbly and retreats to the shadows)

(EDIT: Guilty for misspelling some words...)
_____
DEATH is Certain. The hour, Uncertain...
Welcome to the forums, Kurisu; I'm just sorry it had to be under such sad circumstances.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.