Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: More mondegreens
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Spotted on The Register: Misheard Lyrics Blamed on Technology

(The article links to kissthisguy.com, a site named after something which apparently mignt not be a mondegreen after all...)

--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
On a live recording of a concert in Dallas that was played on a Dallas radio station for a while (I believe it was owned by the station manager, because I
haven't heard it since he disappeared from the local scene), Jimi sings, "'Scuse me while I kiss ... this policeman over here!" I think that
if it is a mondegreen, it's one that Hendrix was aware of and played to.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
* robkelk gets out shopvac to deal with the dust on this threqad

One that I misheard today. The song: "Take Me Home, Country Roads"

The actual lyric:
Quote:Younger than the mountains, growing like a breeze

What I heard:
Quote:Younger than the mountains, growing lima beans
I don't seem to have mentioned it here, but for the months between hearing Alanis Morissette's "Thank U" and getting a copy of Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie, I thought a certain couplet went
"How 'bout them transparent dangling carats?
How 'bout that ever-elusive Godot?"

And, for literally years, I thought that in the Van Halen song "Panama", Diamond Dave was expressing the intent to 
"...reach down into my larynx and
Ease the seat back..."
Earlier today I was listening to a uSpud hwile reading something alse, and thought for sure he referenced a song, "Electric Bee." No, it was the Beatles' Let It Be.

I'm a bit tempted to filk that, but only a bit.
(11-06-2023, 10:09 PM)Mamorien Wrote: [ -> ]And, for literally years, I thought that in the Van Halen song "Panama", Diamond Dave was expressing the intent to 
"...reach down into my larynx and
Ease the seat back..."

Which reminds me of one that I heard about rather than misinterpreted. From Train's "Drops of Jupiter", a repeated passage does sound a little like

Quote:Did you make it to the Milky Way
To see the lights are faded
And Van Halen is overrated
This reminds me of a favorite of mine...
In Elton John's 'Bennie and the Jets', I could swear that rather than singing about 'electric moves', he's saying 'electric boobs'...
... Actually it's neither of those -- it's "electric boots", to go with the mohair suit.
(11-08-2023, 08:06 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: [ -> ]... Actually it's neither of those -- it's "electric boots", to go with the mohair suit.

What molehill suit? Smile