Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: In Case You Are Worried About CERN
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The Large Hadron Collider is being spun up today for its first test, and according to some people it very well might casue a black hole or big bang or
something and destroy the world and everythign in it (presumably). This has caused quite a bit of upraor among some people, and even death threats.

In the best interests of everyone, individuals have taken it upon themselves to monitor the activities of the Large Hadron Collider and how much of a threat it
is to the world. I present you the website dedicated to keeping track of this data.

http://hasthelargehadronc...destroyedtheworldyet.com/

--------------

Epsilon
If you really want to geek out, look at the source code for the page. Not only does it offer a "yup" option, it also contains the information
"if the lhc actually destroys the earth & this page isn't yet updated please email [url=mailto:mike@frantic.org[/url] to
receive a full refund"
----------------------------------------------------

"Anyone can be a winner if their definition of victory is flexible enough." - The DM of the Rings XXXV
God, you just gotta love that shit. You just know that it has to be one of the guys that works there that did this just because he/she has that kind of
perverse sense of humor. ^_^

Elsa Bibat

The world is safe... Or is it? [Image: hadron.jpg]

Elsa Bibat

The bee swarm is the only thing unrelated....dun dun dun duuuuuun!!!!!
(As seen at http://qntm.org/?board)
Quote:Urgent update, September 10, 2008:

It is our duty to inform you that as of 7:35:05am UTC on September 10, 2008, the Earth has been destroyed.

The destruction of Earth was first reported by Mr Jonathan Barber of Wisconsin, United States, who spotted that his home-made seismic Earth Detector had ceased to give readings at around 8:00am (2am local time). Several other amateur geocide spotters noticed this at the same time but Mr. Barber was the first to place a telephone call to the IEDAB's Geocide Hotline (+44 115 09O 4127, ask for Other Dave) at which point IEDAB officials performed an emergency check of their own instrumentation and verified Mr. Barber's report, as well as fixing the exact time of geocide.

Evidence is still being collated, but preliminary results suggest that the Earth was destroyed pre-emptively by scientists at the Large Hadron Collider at CERN, Geneva, Switzerland, before the commencement of their experiments to locate the Higgs Boson, as a precautionary measure to ensure that the experiment itself could not result in the destruction of the Earth.
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI
Here's a couple of Webcams showing the Underground Experimental Cavern from the Saleve side and
the window of the 1st Floor of the SCX building that houses the CMS Control room.
--
If you become a monster to put down a monster you've still got a monster running around at the end of the day and have as such not really solved the whole monster problem at all. 
*Snort* Dude. That is so wrong. And yet, so darkly amusing. Pun not intended, but welcome.

Really, this kinda reminds me of a short story I read sometime back dealing with this exact same thing and how religeon factored into it. Long story short, it
turns out that perhaps God's got a breaker switch tucked away in the universe just incase us clever monkies do something that looks clever to us, but is
really very dumb to try.
Oh, very cute.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Isn't this the experiment that started off Ringo & Taylor's Through the Looking Glass?
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
Quote: ECSNorway wrote:

Isn't this the experiment that started off Ringo & Taylor's Through the Looking Glass?
Same particle, don't think a supercollider was used though.

http://www.telegraph.co.u.../2008/09/24/scilhc124.xml
Thank Kristopher Straub and his Deep Time police for that one. This strip was published the day before the... "malfunction." Smile

--Sam

"How the hell did I do that?"
Time to resurrect the thread... on account of it looks like they've found the silly thing.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2012 ... overy.html

Edit: As usual, the BBC does a better job of tech reporting than the CBC does.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-18702455
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
In before the 'Higgs Drive' becomes a Sci-Fi thing. 'Higg's drive' actually sounds rather cool. Manipulating the local Higgs field around our hypothetical future spaceship, to manipulate it's effective mass. And Inertia. And energy required to make it go really really really fast.

After all, consider what we're doing with the bleeding edge physics of a century ago. And what can be done if we understand the Higg's field well enough to start to manipulate and utilise it.

Science is always amazing to watch in the making.
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI
Reposted without comment. (source)
cptbutton, in the Steve Jackson Games forums, Wrote:So this Higgs Boson walks into a Catholic church, and the priest says, "We don't allow Higgs Bosons here." And the Higgs Boson looks at him, and says, "But without me, you can't have mass!"
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
And it's hard to say
Just how some things never change
And it's hard to find
Any strength to draw the line
I'm just burning doin' the (Higgs) boson dance
I'm just burning doin' the (Higgs) boson dance
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
You know, some people were under the impression that when they would fire off the first man-made chain reaction that it, like the sun, would not go out until it had consumed everything.

Here's to proving that progress will not bring about the end of the world! Cheers! Big Grin

CattyNebulart

But there is proving that progress will bring about the end of the world Smile Apparently with a Higgs of that mass some models predict a meta-stable vacuum collapse in about 10^80'th years. Of course the specifics outstrip my meagre knowledge of Quantum physics. So I have no idea how much weight to give such a theory.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."