Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Asimov's Foundation to be a movie...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
...maybe. They're working on a script. Article here.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
I wish them luck, but I don't see the project succeeding. Sociology is a rather dry field of science; I suspect we're going to get something that's either not very true to the source material, or a movie that makes http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067756/]Silent Running look fast-paced...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
They might do the last book of the series, with Sociology still being invented. That one had a fair amount of action and suspense, with the character zipping
around Trantor being shot at by a variety of people. That one could be made into a movie fairly easily.

As for the regular series? I'm betting it would be some fictional time at the very beginning, when it's all falling apart, and governments start
looking for any nearby systems they can snap up to support their destabilized local economies. Plenty of room for a 'foundation-like' story.
---
Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.
Trying to make the original Foundation novel into a movie will be ... Interesting.

It is quite a great story, but it is divided into parts that will break the continuity of the Movie flow, unless they as well present the parts as they are in
the book with some sort of 'fade to black' transition between each of them. It will be -very- tricky to pull this one off.
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI
Actually, you know what is scary? I seem to recall an add for a show on History.Channel where there was a REAL mathemetician who claimed that he'd come up
with something much like Sheldon's Psychohistory. They were calling the special 'The next Nostraudamus', but I was thinking more along the lines of
I hope his name's not that guy from Azimov's Foundation novels....

After a quick browse of History Channels homepage, the episode is airing TONIGHT, 10/30 at 9pm EST/PST... And the name of the guy fortunatly is NOT Sheldon,
but Dr. Bueno de Mesquitam who has a PHD in Games theory. The whole hook for the History channel special is they're doing a compare and contrast between
Dr Mesquitam and Nostrodamus, pointing up both points they agree on and what they dont.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children