Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: An IP Idea
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, prompted by a somewhat silly idea proposed in another forum:

I notice that a lot of the IP companies (RIAA, Disney etc) increasingly want their IP treated as property, in terms of the legal consequences of doing stuff
with it.

What if we let them, but then started treating it like Property in all ways. Including Propety Tax.

That is, if an IP is worth X number of dollars (as established by the RIAA or whatever in their lawsuits) then we charge the holding company a percentage of X
each year, much like you get charged taxes on your home for just sort of living in it based on its market value, even if you don't plan on selling it.

----------------------

Epsilon

Not really serious, but a boy can dream...
Better yet, treat it like physical inventory, which is taxed under rules that make property taxes look like pocket change...
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Ah, you beat me to it, Bob...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Hey, I'm all for it. In this economic recession, one of the few industries not actually suffering is the Entertainment Industry. Only make sense that the
government actually be able to get some decent tax dollars from somewhere in the comercial/industrial brackets.