Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Survivors 2008
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Murmur the Fallen

Survivors is a remake of the 70s series created by Terry Nation. The producers of this remake say that they working from the novelization that Nation wrote
rather than the series itself, however, which was based upon I believe the first series of the original Survivors.

The story goes like this: a disease is ravaging the world which eventually kills off all but 1% of the world's population. The story follows the titular
survivors, chief among them Abby Grant, who is looking to find her son while at the same time make civilization again with the group of other survivors she
meets up with.

Other than Abby Grant, whose story remains mostly unchanged, nearly every other character is brand new or might as well have been. Perhaps the most changed is
Tom Price, who in the original was a misanthropic, greedy homeless welshman, while in this series is an escaped convict.

This new series is very convential, adhering to the three-act structure with a, b, and c plots; while the original series, if I remember correctly, had a very
70s BBC pace to it. As in, very idiosynchratic.

The acting and directing are very good. I especially enjoy the cinematography, particularly in comparison to the original, which is just first-rate. The
story is something that I very much enjoy, with the contrasting of the cozy catastrophe of the original with the more thriller aspect that is de regeur for the
modern post-apocalyptic genre.

-murmur