Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Aaron Peori And The No Good Very Bad Month
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What a way to end a year...

I live in Ottawa. This month we have been getting hit by a lot of snow, and I mean a lot, even for Ottawa, even for this time of year. Normally this
wouldn't be bad, however because of various and sundry cockups on the municipal politics level the entire bus system is on
strike.

Ha ha! And here I am without a car or even a driver's liscense and almost an hour away from work (which is clear on the other side of the city and Ottawa
is one of those amaglamated spread out cities) AND its basically freezing cold and blowing snow all the time here. This is a problem when even the grocery
store is a good fifteen minutes walk away (one way). Normally I don't mind walking to/from the store, but hey somtimes when the tempertaure hits -16
(celsius) you just want to get a bus home or something.

And of course, getting to work has been murder. It's a fifty dollar cab ride one way and when they moved the offices last year everyone picked up and moved
across the city to be near it (me, being stupid and wanting to save money, ended up moving about as far from the office as possible while staying in the same
city). I ended up missing four days of work over the course of a week and a half there.

He he.

But, salvation was on its way. back in September I had booked my vacation time for the last two weeks of December (god love a cluster of holidays which allows
me to turn six vacation days into two weeks off). I had plane tickets back home to the East Coast so I could visit my father, grandmother and other family
person. Two weeks of relaxation. And it couldn't come at a better time! I could subsit off leftover and clean out my fridge and cupboards instead of
walking to and from the store in the freezing cold, and not have to worry about getting a ride to and from work as well. Every indication was that the bus
strike would be over come January.

He he ha ha...

So what happen when I get to the airport. Of course, there are delays. Okay, delays I can accept. Delays I can deal with. Its the holidays, its cold, its
snowing... I can live with these things. Then the dreaded happens. Cancelation.

Yup, some storm front coming up through Toronto for some reason cancels my flight from Ottawa to Halifax. Okay. Fine.
I book flights early for just this reason. I can go on standby on a flight the next day. Go home, get some rest, eat the last packet of Mr Noodle in my
cupboard. Everything is still fine.

Get up. Shower. Call a cab. Wait two hours for cab (bus strike again). Get to airport for 7AM departure.

Oops. Seems that Halifax has 140km/h winds and frozen runways.

First flight gets delayed, delayed, delayed. Canceled.

No problem. I can cope. Go to back to baggage carousel, collect suitcase, go to ticket agent, get put on next available flight. Surely these conditions can not
hold out all day.

Next flight, set for noon. Delayed. Delayed. Delayed. Canceled.

Okay. Aaron has been in the airport for (minus time last night for sleeping at home) approximately 12 hours now. Is beginning to hate that god damn waterfall,
as he goes and waits to collect his baggage. He then books on the next flight out at 1PM.

So, this one gets delayed as well. But wait! Hope! Two other airlines are now sending flights to Halifax. They apologise for the delay but they are boarding!
Aaron begins to feel an inkling of hope.

But Aaron forgets. Aaron is booked on Air Canada.

Ha ha.

So, 1PM comes and flight is delayed until 2PM. Aaron can live with that. At 1:45 Aaron looks up from his laptop and notes that the board next to his gate no
longer has details about his flight. Oh, it seems that they changed the gate without announcing it to anyone. To the
gate that is literally the furthest gate on the concourse from the
gate I am ate. Okay. Trudge over to other gate, booking it. Oops. Gotta stop and call father, inform him of delays yet again. Get to other gate.

All the passengers are there. The board says my flight has been delayed again (to 3PM) but that's okay. Of course, there are no Air Canada people at the
gate. In fact, I can find no Air Canada employees anywhere in the concourse. The only Air Canada employees I can see are the extremely busy ones at the
ticket/check-in kiosks out in the check-in zone (which Aaron can not get to because he, like a fool, has already gone through security).

So 5PM comes. The boards in the concourse still say my flight is set for 3PM. Cross fingers. Consider what kind of benevolent being atheists are supposed to
pray to during spare time. No Air Canada stewards show up at the gate. None. 3PM comes. 3PM goes. 3:15PM goes. The board now says my plane has departed from my
gate five minutes ago, which is an amazing feat considering I was standing there and saw 1: no plane pull up to the gate 2: no crew get on said plane and (most
importanly) 3: no me getting on that plane.

3:30PM. Paranoia is beginning to set in. There are perhaps a hundred passengers in the gate area, milling about, trying to deal with children, confused, tired
and angry. They have no idea what is going on. Aaron is walking up and down the concourse. Finally he finds a flight to Montreal with an Air Canade logo. He
proceeds to harass the poor lady (in an even but forceful tone) about his flight, or lack thereof.

"I'm sorry sir, I have no information about that flight!" in an extremely chipper tone. "But I'll let them know about your
problem!"

It is 4PM before an Air Canada employee shows up at our gate. Everyone is still confused. We have been engaging in the primary activity of all large groups of
people, spreading rumors and complaining about our rumors. Air Canada has abandoned us, say some. Everyone else is flying to Halifax but Air Canada, say
others. There was masive mid-air collision in those 140km/h winds over Halifax, say yet another. Air Canada is going to hold a press conference. The boards in
Halifax say this. The website says this. But wait, I have text messages from Air Canada that say the flight is delayed again!

An extremely harried looking middle-aged Pakastani woman shows up in an Air Canada uniform. "What are you all doing here?" she asks.

We explain out situation. Some louder and ruder than others. Everyone is talking at once. The lady tries to remain professional. She informs us that the flight
is canceled. We should all go home and rebook our flights on the next available flight out. Some of us suggest that this would have been good information to
know an hour or two ago, back when there might have been a chance to get on a flight before Christmas (oh, and we might have gotten through the two hour long
hold the Air Canada reservations line has become by now). We ask about the rumors there is supposed to be some sort of conference or press meeting or
something...

Finally she snaps. "You can go home or you can go wait in the check-in line, I don't care. But you have to leave here and collect your baggage
outside!"

(Being Canadian, I feel the need to point out that one nice old lady promptly thanked the harried looking Pakastani woman for exploding at us in such a civil
fashion)

Okay, we all trudge back to the baggage collection zone (Aaron now officially hates that damn waterfall), collect our bags. We go up to the info desk and start
harassing the poor employees there (but in a civilised one at a time manner this time, its very Canadian). He (an employee of the airport, not Air Canada)
calmly tells us that there is going to be a general announcement at 5PM about the whole flight situation. The Air Canada Guy (his exact position is never
given, he is just refered to as The Guy or He in a Very Important Tone) is on a conference call. Being Canadian we are mollifed. There is a conference call occuring. There will be a general announcement.

So we sit around like monkeys with sticks up our butts for and hour. There are, of course, no seats in the check in area (well, there are but they are all
taken by mothers with extremely young children). We sit on our luggage (those of us who have it, apparently Air Canada managed to misplace half the luggage due
to yesterday's storm). 5PM comes and goes. We begin to feel a little restless.

An extremely nice young woman arrives. She has a Very Official Lookign Pin on her lapel. She si from Air Canada. She begins to tell us that Things Are Under
Control. The all important conference call is just taking longer than expected. There is talk of getting another plane
out. There is talk of chatering buses.

Fifteen minutes pass. Repeat above. Fifteen minutes pass. Repeat above.

Food voucher are given out.

Fifteen minutes pass. Repeat above.

Oh wait! We get to line up and get a head count. They are surely not going to count how many people need to get to Halifax without actually providing some
transport.

Time passes. The crowd in front of the info desk has grown, mutated. It is now a sprawling mass. The info desk is now our land. People are spread out on
blankets. Someone is playing a bongo, another a guitar. People are watching movies on each others laptops. New friendships are forged in the crucible of mutual
crisis. I see no less than five unexpected old friend reunions as people traveling to other destinations end up bumping into each other (this is helped by the
fact our group of airfrieght refugees has swallowed the only viable path to the security checkin for flights that are still going places and thus navigating
the airport has become some sort of strange saloom course of human obstacles).

I wait. Consume sugary liquids. Eat fast food. Spend a lot of time looking at the Virgin store thinking I should buy a CD for some reason.

Time passes. Fifteen minute "nope, no change yet, but keep on waiting!" announcements are made.

Eventually hope of hope, an actual change. They have a plane. It is in Vancouver. That is right, they are going to
solve our problem of getting to Halifax by summoning help from the exact opposite side of the goddamn continenet.

Ha ha.

The plane will arrive at one AM. It will only have 120 seats. Priority will be given to the first people canceled.

"ha!" I think. "I have been here a logn time, surely I will get a seat!"

But I forgot, I am booked on Air Canada.

You see, when I canceled my flight and rebooked on standby I was now officially considered a passenger on the later flight. And then I did it again, on a later
flight. That is right, thanks to the miracle of modern bureaucracy my attempt to actively solve my problem has, in fact, prevented me from solving my problem.

HAHA!

So, I talk to the nice lady who has taken over the Info Desk. She informs me in no uncertain (but very polite terms) that my options are 1: go home, rebook my
flight or 2: stay here overnight and not get to fly out tomorrow anyway and THEN go home and rebook my flight for an even later date.

Being Canadian, I thank her for this and go home (cab ride money vanishing prana!).

I wait on hold with Air Canada for two and a half hours ("It should have died down by the time you get
home!" she said). Hey joe, geuss what. The next available flight back is 4PM Dec 26th.

My return flight is booked for the 29th.

Fuck that bullshit. Fuck it up the ass.

After fifteen minutes of bitching and complaining I manage to get credit for my ticket. I can book a flight anytime up to a year from now with that credit and
new rebooking fee.

Being Canadian, I thank them for this.

Hang up. Look around.

Wonder what I am supposed to do for the next two weeks with no bus service and no food in my house.

------------------

Epsilon

The answer of course is "Bitch on the internet."
Ah, jeeze, now I feel guilty about freaking over my Christmas.

Good luck on the next two weeks, Aaron.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Having been screwed over repeatedly by Air Canada I have sworn to never fly with them again, so long as anything vaguely resembling a reasonable option exists.
While this doesn't help you this year, I've found Porter airlines to be reliable and comfortable when flying between Ottawa and Halifax. They're
a bit more expensive than Air Canada Tango, but not too much more.

Hopefully OC Transpo and the city will come to their senses soon and at least one problem can be dealt with. Living where I do is very convenient, so long as
the o-train or the busses are running. These days, not so much.

Hope you manage to get a good day to do a store run soon.

Firvulag

--

Not holding his breath.
Yeah, my wife and I had a similar situation when I lived in the DC area for a time. Since she was living in Ottawa we often had to deal with the fun weather in
that corridor. Practically every time, she was delayed in some form or another - one time it took four days for her to get down.

Even better, when I was *leaving* the area, my flight to Canada was cancelled. I asked them what I was supposed to do, and they were like 'Go home?' to
which I carefully explained to them I was moving, and I had NO WHERE TO LIVE. I eventually got a 5-connection flight to Ottawa (basically around the storm)
where I would overnight (with wife, who was then my girlfriend) and then finally come back to S'toon.

AC is horrible...unless it's a joint flight. If you get another airline involved in an AC flight, they suddenly become the most best airline on the planet.
My AC/USAir or AC/Lufthansa flights were brilliant.
Quote:Ha ha! And here I am without a car or even a driver's liscense and almost an hour away from work (which is clear on the other side of the city and Ottawa is one of those amaglamated spread out cities) AND its basically freezing cold and blowing snow all the time here. This is a problem when even the grocery store is a good fifteen minutes walk away (one way). Normally I don't mind walking to/from the store, but hey somtimes when the tempertaure hits -16 (celsius) you just want to get a bus home or something.

And of course, getting to work has been murder. It's a fifty dollar cab ride one way and when they moved the offices last year everyone picked up and moved across the city to be near it (me, being stupid and wanting to save money, ended up moving about as far from the office as possible while staying in the same city). I ended up missing four days of work over the course of a week and a half there.
The next time I suggest you get an apartment close to where you work, remind me to be more forceful...

Quote:Get up. Shower. Call a cab. Wait two hours for cab (bus strike again). Get to airport for 7AM departure.

Oops. Seems that Halifax has 140km/h winds and frozen runways.

First flight gets delayed, delayed, delayed. Canceled.
It could have been worse. You could have been on http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2 ... c1124.html]the flight that caused the other flights to be cancelled.

Quote:Wonder what I am supposed to do for the next two weeks with no bus service and no food in my house.

I'm in town, most of my family isn't, I know you have my number, and I'm off work for the year starting around noon tomorrow. At the very least, we can make a grocery run...

Edit: Or, according to the http://www.viarail.ca/en_index.html]VIA Rail website, you can take the 12:45 train to Montréal today and make the connection to be in Halifax at 16:56 tomorrow.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
My advice: Rent a car.

I had a similar run around trying to get a flight from Boston to Baltimore. After two hours of beuracracy, I told them all, very politely, to do something
anatomically impossible, and then went to the car rental agency downstairs. Since you're not there anymore, I strongly recommend renting a car from a
rental service that will pick you up from home (it's generally a free service, at least in the US).

Yes, it took me ~8 hours to drive from Massachusetts to Maryland. It also cost me less than the plane tickets would have, and I got to enjoy the scenery on the
way. Also, once I got to where I was going, I had a car. I could have actually used the car that I owned for this trip, except that A) it was in the shop, and
B) I didn't want to put 2000 miles on it over the course of the weeks vacation.

So, to solve your december travel issues, rent a car. To solve the no-bus-travel issues, rent a car ($25 a day, instead of $100 for taxis!).

Hope that helps.
"Not this again!" Minerva said. "Albus, it was You-Know-Who, not you, who marked Harry as his equal. There is no possible way that the prophecy could be talking about you!" - Harry Potter and the Method of Rationality, Chapter 84
Quote: robkelk wrote:

I'm in town, most of my family isn't, I know you have my number, and I'm off work for the year starting around noon tomorrow. At the very least,
we can make a grocery run...
Thanks but another mutual aquantice has offered to help me out today. The thought is appreciated, however.

Quote: kestrel404 wrote:

My advice: Rent a car.
I don't have a driver's liscense (for very good reason which can be summed up with "Aaron was the only person in driver's ed to
hit his school"), otherwise I probably would have done so.

-----------------

Epsilon
I never fly anymore.

At all.

Last time I flew anywhere was 1999.

Shame really. I like flying in and of itself. But this kind of BULLSHIT at major airports and airline companies is why I won't do it anymore.

One of my favorite quotes in fact has always been from Douglas Adams, "The phrase as lovely as an airport
doesn't exist in any language." I'd argue that SMALL airports for small airplanes can be nice. But anything where commercial airliners operate is
GHASTLY. Not necessarily in aesthetics, but in overall experience. Architecturally speaking, there are some lovely buildings that are airports. But not a one
of them can I stand for more than a couple of hours at a time. I know my limitations. My tolerance for stupidity lessens each year that I'm alive. I keep
myself away from large airports as a result.

I'm halfway trained on light aircraft myself and If I ever get together the time, money and wherewithal to do it, I'll formally get certified so that I
can fly myself in our family's Cessna 170. That's the only way I'm ever flying again. (Or I'll fly with my brother, who's already certified
and a damn good pilot with fast reflexes. I'll have to tell you the story sometime of the way he kept us alive when a giant skycrane nearly smashed us into
the runway on landing at the local airport.)

Barring that, I'm just going to drive if I have to get anywhere in North America. I like driving. I prefer being in control of my own path. I like taking
the scenic route. Even through places most people consider the boring parts of the country. I consider myself most fortunate that I've had the opportunity
to see first-hand at least some portion of the majority of the lower 48 states (and British Columbia). If I had the choice that they always present the boys on
Top Gear, I'll take the Jeremy Clarkson option almost every time.

And I'd only consider flying if it were somewhere outside of the Continent. And even then I'd give serious thought to looking into options like cruise
lines and perhaps even taking passage on a freighter. Yes, I'm THAT serious.

As to your personal situation - DAMN. I'm sorry to hear about that. I echo the sympathy already given. With the added advice - get a drivers licence. As
soon as you possibly can. Keep it updated. You might never use it. But when you NEED it, such as a situation like this, you'll be glad you did.

EDIT:

Amendment - trains are good alternatives as well. Slower than airlines. But in some cases, can be faster than driving, especially on longer trips. Plus - you
get to see the country around you AND you don't have to concentrate on driving. Speaking of that scenery - you see lots of places that you never would from
a car, as train tracks often cut through country that isn't crossed by major highways. Lovely way to see the backyards of America/Canada! ^_^
... and a water main burst and now I don't have running water...

---------------

Epsilon
Epsilon Wrote:... and a water main burst and now I don't have running water...

At least it's not the 96-incher that's been on the news, so HOPEFULLY it'll be fixed reasonably soon.