Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Fledging Game Developer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

paladindythe

So, I go download Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Express Edition, and the XNA 3.0 Creator Kit-- free tools to develop C# apps and (Windows/Xbox360/Zune)
games.

And I start tinkering a bit, waiting for the new XNA books to come out in March or so, learning the basics of C# (and .NET programming).

And now I want to make a 2-d game, as a learning project.

I was thinking of making a Tetris clone. The artwork is pretty much blocks, so it'd be really easy.

But it wasn't really inspiring at all, so...

I'm thinking of making a puzzle game making Magic Circles (of the Instant Rune variety). You'd have pieces and parts of runes, each with space,
'weight' and power requirements--kinda like the Armored Core mech building. And you have to get certain pieces in for certain effects.

Is the idea interesting, or do I just have too much Nanoha on the brain?
idea is interesting.

Proceed.
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies
What he said.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Speaking as a developer, and as someone who has developed games in the past:

Stop worrying about whether someone will like it or if the idea's derivative or if you've got too much Nanoha on the brain and just _do it_.

If it infringes on copyright or is boring as hell or has all the long-term play value of a used bit of bubble-gum doesn't matter. You'll have _done_
something. And it's that first step that's the tough part. Once you've got it built, you can tweak, rebuild, brainstorm, and do a dozen other
things to improve it, but if you don't start of by diving in you'll never get around to actually doing it.

Later on, after you've done several projects and know how to squeeze what you need out of your tools and such, then you can worry about planning ahead and
"what if" and so on. But for the first few times, screw all that, and just create.

On a more technical note: C# is very easy to develop in, but also very easy to get lost in the Fun Nifty Features. Watch out. Smile

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs

paladindythe

Thanks for the advice.

I'm in the planning stage at the moment. I'm thinking of this like a 'deck building' puzzle game. Hmm.

Anyone know any good resources for images of magic circles?
I don't know about online, but I have ~70 pics on my hard drive, from back in my FMA days. I can e-mail them to you, if you want.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.

paladindythe

Well, if you don't mind, send it to

cjstevenson7791

hosted at the kind folks of yahoo

(hope that's parse-able, by humans, at least)
Wow, I got distracted. I'll have it to you in the next few minutes.

Edit: Wow, Gmail doesn't want to work. I waited ages, and it didn;t send. Trying again.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.