Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: IT question?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys.

Got a computer problem. I used as my Os Windows XP Home. My main drive finally gave up the ghost. I decided to upgrade the OS to Windows XP Pro while getting a
new drive since my copy of Windows XP Home has been used so often that Microsoft gave me a hell of a time the last time I installed it. The problem is now
playing a video file or watching a video signal, is almost frozen. where before I can watch a prgram in one window and browse the web in another easily. I
looked at the task manager and the problem seems to be in the CPU. Which is strange considering it's a 3.4 ghz dual core. I have 1 gb of memory. And I
defraged the hd and the memory already. It's improved slightly but playback is still almost frozen at times. Any ideas of the cause and how to fix this?
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Hmm.

My first suggestion would be to get some new codecs. Assuming you're exhibiting no other issues, you probably have a bad codec somewhere.

So, in order, I'd do the following:

1) Go here: http://home.hccnet.nl/h.edskes/finalbuilds.htm and get one of the K-Lite Codec Packs.

2) Since you're having stream issues, and many sites use Flash to stream, hit the adobe site and check that your Flash and Shockwave installs are okay.

3) Reinstall your video drivers.

Edited for comprehensibility.
Thanks Chris! Everything working good now. You really are worthy of your last name!
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell