Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Problems with Alienware.com?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey folks. I've been trying to reach alienware.com for a couple days now to look at their laptop offerings, and I'm consistently getting nothing. Is
anyone else seeing anything odd from them? Thanks.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Not having any problems here/now.
Weird. I either get a blank window, or occasionally Seamonkey displays a "Page Load Error" that claims the connection was refused. Getting both right
now, in fact.
-- Bob
---------
Works for me. I've been having weird internet issues all over the place for the past couple weeks. I think Level 3 is doing some backbone upgrades and are
a bit goofy.
Looks local to me, then, somehow. Oh well, guess that means Dell is getting our laptop bucks...
-- Bob
---------
Heh, either way Dell will get your dosh, for doesn't Dell own Alienware now?

*wanders back from looking at the alienware.com.au website*

Great Scott! I haven't seen prices that high for a PC, since the mid '90s. They make the local price of Macs seem reasonable.
If you want, Bob, I'm really knowledgeable with Dell's stock. I can help you pick/choose something.
Part of the priciness is the fact that Alienware comps are built for gamers, not home or business types.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
I didn't know Dell owned Alienware. That's news to me.

Chris, we have a good idea what we want, but ideally Peg wants a system with both XP on it and an nVidia graphics card -- I can't seem to find that
combination on the online store, and was intending to use their live chat function to see if a system with both were available or could be put together. If you
can point us at something straightaway, that'd be great. Thanks!

Fox -- Peggy's specifications were basically "at least as good as our desktop", which is currently leaning more toward a gamer machine (as
I've bought components specifically to support COH over the years). Because of the Relentless March of Science, the bottommost machine I can buy for her,
at least through Dell, already exceed our desktop in terms of CPU, memory and hard drive, and most have the wide screen LCD. It's just getting the nVidia
graphics and not getting bogged down with Vista that I need to ensure. As it turns out, Dell's site is offering hundreds of dollars in discounts on all the
stuff I've looked at, so the worst price for the basic system that I've found so far is about $1300.
-- Bob
---------
If you want proof Dell owns Alienware, hit their XPS line of laptops - it points to Alienware's site. Big Grin

As for XP, you're pretty much SOL, unless you want to pay the premium for a Vostro or Latitude (small and medium/large business class), as those are the
only ones that offer the downgrade to XP AFAIK.
Well, I was looking at an Inspiron -- go in http://www.dell.com/content/products/pr ... dhs&~ck=mn]the right way and Dell offers to let you put XP on it (for extra, of course).
-- Bob
---------
Of their HW, the Insprions are the ones I like the least (except for the Minis, those rock, especially the 12"). It's not that they're bad, its
that the HW is inconsistent. A Insprion of the exact same model number, sold 6 mo apart, can have very different MB/network hardware.

If you want some warranty advice - the Complete Care warranty is worth EVERY DAMN PENNY. Seriously. Drop it off the roof, they repair/replace it.
Thanks for the advice. I'll be sure to take it. We still haven't sat down and specced out a purchase yet, so that's not a problem. Plus, if we get
a dud as you think is possible, I'm sure it'll take care of it.

We seem to have the time to think through our purchase, too -- I just found an email in my work inbox that says our monitor's been repaired and it should
be on our doorstep when I get home tonight.
-- Bob
---------