Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Worrying incident at university.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So... he walked too close to her for a few moments? That's it?

You know, I really long for the days when feminism was about empowerment, not neovictorian "protect me from the nasty men."
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Feminism = Burn your bra

Post-Feminism = Burn your brain?
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies
As far as has been reported. I really hope there was more to this incident than reported, because the alternative is too horrifying.
I'm not getting any thing outta that link, just a page and a blank box where the announcement should be.
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI
Hmm. Same for me, but some digging did turn up an investigation into an incident back in september in which the victem was threatened with a weapon. Maybe
related, if only because this new item caused the student to think back to the september incident?
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
I'll have to check when I get back to work tomorrow, but I think the report/event/alert thing may have been removed. Possibly because it was so stupid,
they may have been getting way too much critical attention.

Hm. I wonder if Fark has/had a link to it... it's the kind of thing they'd love to skewer.
-- Bob
---------
So, for those that actually saw the report in question.....what happened?

Seriously, my curiosity is peaked and the blank link is taunting me. Tongue
---
"Oh, silver blade, forged in the depths of the beyond. Heed my summons and purge those who stand in my way. Lay
waste."
Guy walked by a girl.

Seriously. He was walking toward her, got within a few feet of her and kept going without stopping. Didn't do much more than glance at her. The report
described it as getting uncomfortably within her personal space or something similar, and in the same sentence said he was never closer than several feet. This
apparently was considered an assault and triggered a campus alert.
-- Bob
---------
http://www.torybear.com/2...02/shocking-incident.html

http://darklydreamingdavi...to-woman-everybody-panic/

In case you're wondering? Yes. That is really what was on the university alert website.
I suspect that this is a matter of the police alert webmaster and/or the writer of said alert being constrained by a lack of information, a surplus of policies
to protect the police from being sued for wrongful accusation, and sadly average writing abilities. Someone perceived a threat here and called the police on
it; the details simply aren't in the posted alert.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

Herr Bad Moon

Is this an actual serious report? Because when I was at Washington State, the school newspaper had a small section next to the crossword puzzle where they put
humerous calls the campus police really had to respond to, like "CP and Fire Rescue extinguished a sofa on fire at Rainer Park," or "CP
responded to report of suspicious squirrel. Squirrel found to be within normal bounds of supicious behavior."
---
Jon
"And that must have caused my dad's brain to break in half, replaced by a purely mechanical engine of revenge!"
My wife had a very different reaction to this, that I thought I'd relate:

(Paraphrased)

"We don't know what really happened. Sure, what's written is lame, but for all we know he could have looked at her in a threatening manner,
behaved in a way that made her feel threatened. She may have felt honestly threatened by something he did that isn't mentioned in that report."

Thinking about it, I have to agree. The reporting is horrible, but the security wouldn't have bothered to report it if *something* hadn't triggered
some measure of alarm.
Quote: jpub wrote:

(Paraphrased)

"We don't know what really happened. Sure, what's written is lame, but for all we know he could have looked at her in a threatening manner,
behaved in a way that made her feel threatened. She may have felt honestly threatened by something he did that isn't mentioned in that report."

Thinking about it, I have to agree. The reporting is horrible, but the security wouldn't have bothered to report it if *something* hadn't triggered
some measure of alarm.

My point exactly. I suspect that the writers were limited by what they could put into the announcement, since it was an investigation in process, and they
didn't want to tip anyone off or get sued for slander/wrongful accusation.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
Not to mention that there was an assault on that campus back in september, which probobly heightened this girls concern...
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
Quote: jpub wrote:

(Paraphrased)

some measure of alarm.
In an odd way, this points out another problem entirely.

A vast majority of us could not only A. assume the report was real, but also B. plausibly believe someone would report that.

Of course, I'm of the personal experience that you can be physically avoiding someone at any and all possible
encounters and still get called in to a manager's office about potential "harassment" that you were actively avoiding said female co-worker with
intent to avoid, so I may be a little biased on the subject being overly plausible.
---
"Oh, silver blade, forged in the depths of the beyond. Heed my summons and purge those who stand in my way. Lay
waste."
The problem you run into is that, at this point, anything and everything can be considered grounds for harassment charges by someone, and if they feel
threatened by you - or just malicious - they can make trouble for you over it. No matter what you do.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
There are a lot of ways you can be dangerously threatening, with no actual description to accompany the act. Body language mostly.

No one can say what you did, only that it makes them very, very, uncomfortable.

It is far easier the describe when the "teh Crazy" has an obvious, external, designator. Whether that be a gimp mask or a thong made of living
squirrels.

In this particular case, there is just not enough data to make an accurate determination.
Hrm... Near our campus, some guy has been going around, flipping up skirts, and then inserting his finger into the girl's vagina ("there was
penetration of the vagina") before presumably running away. He's already on to his 11th incident. Hopefully, the police can catch him soon. Sad