Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: I just saw Dragonball Evolution...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

WengFook

Quote: ZOE: If they take the ship, they'll rape us to death, eat our flesh and sew our skins into their clothing and if we're very very lucky,
they'll do it in that order.

I... have just returned from a screening of Dragonball Evolution. If we think of the 'ship' mentioned in the quote, as our childhood, and
the movie as Reavers.. then the above quote fits like the proverbial shoe. I went in with zero. no.. less than zero expectations due to all the bad press and
it wasn't enough.

I thought y'know if I treat it like a comedy like it was intentionally bad, sort of mock it with my friends during the show it would be bearable. This
strategy lasted for the first 5 minutes. After that trainwreck syndrome activated and it was slackjaw wide eyed horror as how immensely perverted (and not in
the good sense) Akira Toriyama's story has become. At last I have something I in my experience that I can relate to when someone talks about losing sanity
due to cthulhu mythos. Probably the only way you could watch the movie and enjoy it is if you've never seen or heard of the original story and even then it
will be a B-grade movie with super predictable lines and direction.

I write this as a warning for people who think they know what they are getting into. I write this as a deterrent. I write this so that you may save yourselves
and your loved ones from the horror...
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies
So what you're saying is, I might like this version of Dragonball?

Big Grin

(I can't stand the ones I've seen so far, so perhaps I'm the audience this is aimed at, heh.)

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs
http://www.lilformers.com/index.php/200 ... ster-plan/

Ayiekie

I have the crazy policy of judging spin-offs on their own merits, not on how "true" they are to whatever they were inspired by.

That being said, I don't have any expectations beyond amusement at the Dragonball movie.
I was looking through a listing of upcoming movies for the rest of the year, and saw several that sorta threw me, the first time I'd heard of them.
In August there's a Tekken movie due out
In September, The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus (staring Johnny Depp and Heath Ledger, how long has this been waiting for release?)
In October, Toy Story 3
under the heading 'Other movies in 2009, date unknown' are Castlevania and Red Sonja

Kurisu

Red Sonja?? What's wrong with Brigitte Nielsen?
_____
DEATH is Certain. The hour, Uncertain...
Castlevania? It's still in development hell, they haven't even cast it yet! Any Castlevania movie capable of premiering this year cannot possibly be
worth viewing. Tongue

--Sam

"What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets."
Quote:In September, The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus (staring Johnny Depp and Heath Ledger, how long has this been waiting for release?)
Not that long. It was in production when Ledger died, and they had to scramble to accomodate that. Fortunately, the script is apparently weird enough that they could cast different actors as his character in different segments of the movie, and it would still make sense.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Quote: Kurisu wrote:

Red Sonja?? What's wrong with Brigitte Nielsen?
Too many things to go into right now. There's also a Solomon Kane movie coming out, starring James Purefoy (Marcus Antonius from the
"Rome" television series) and Max von Sydow.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."