Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: For all those Star Trek puritans...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

WengFook

... It really could have been worse.

http://www.postmodernbarney.com/2009/05 ... een-worse/
Bwahahahahahahaha
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
... ok, P.G. Wodehouse had me *rolling*.

Good stuff! Smile

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs
Since it was good already, it could've been much worse.

...Am I the only one that feels like tracking down the writers of certain bad fics and beating them upside the head with the collected works of Freud, while
shouting "IF YOU MAKE CANON CHARACTERS GAY, GIVE THEM A GOOD REASON FIRST!!!" at them repeatedly?

(I have an equal problem with people making gay/lesbian canon characters inexplicably straight, by the way, but that change is much rarer than the other one,
and including it throws off the shouted exclamation.)

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.
... well, I can't say I'm driven to froth-inducing rage by it, but I can see where you're coming from. I tend to just toss it and move on, myself.
You can't fight the tide and all that. Smile

However, in the interest of allowing diversity in your rant while maintaining shout-ability... how about:

"IF YOU CHANGE CANON CHARACTERS SEXUALITY, GIVE THEM A GOOD REASON FIRST!!!"

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs
That is exactly the rant phrasing I was looking for! I'd offer cookies and/or points, but we don't do those here.

(Do we?)

I've been writing a bit.
Well, fair's fair. I'm still larfing about something I saw on another site years ago: The Lord of the Rings by different authors, for instance
Gene Roddenberry:
Quote:
"The Halflings, cap'n, they will na take the
strain!"

"Boromir, put on that red armour... ."

There was a Wodehouse version, too. And a Raymond Chandler version....
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.
Quote:I'd offer cookies and/or points, but we don't do those here.

(Do we?)
If you're serious, you can use the Yuku kudos system.
-- Bob
---------
Quote: I'm still larfing about something I saw on another site years ago: The Lord of the Rings by different authors, for instance Gene Roddenberry:
I own a book called Maybe He's Dead, which is a collection of results from the old New York Magazine Competition column. Once of these was retelling the classic "kangaroo joke"in the style of a famous author or celebrity. The kangaroo joke, for those who don't know what I'm talking about, goes:
Quote:A kangaroo hops into a bar, goes up to the bartender, slaps a ten down and orders a vodka martini. The bartender figures, hey, this is a kangaroo, what does it know from money, makes the drink and gives it $2 change. As the kangaroo drinks, he says, "I don't get too many kangaroos in here." The kangaroo glares at him and says, "Well, at $8 for a martini, you won't see very many more!"
The results were a really warped colleciton of stuff, including Vladimir Nabokov (imitating the opening of Lolita: "My Roo, my rue... She stood barely five feet tall in her boxer shorts...") and Henny Youngman (repeating the sample joke word for word). But my two favorites were:
Quote:The Kangaroo
by Edgar Allen Poe
Once upon a midnight beery
Waiting for the owner, Cleary,
To return and take me weary
From the place and lock the door,
In there came a hopping mammal
To the bar and lit a Camel,
Then it ordered a martini.
(Damnedest thing I ever saw.)
"Vodka," (it said) "Stolichnaya.
Pile the ice a little higher.
Less vermouth, I like it drier.
And some olives, por favor."
Thinking fast to make a few bucks,
Back from ten I gave it two bucks,
Saying, "You're an odd one, Mister,
Never seen your type before."
"At these prices? Nevermore!"
and Raymond Chandler:
Quote:It was warm outside, but the bar was as cool as a Hollywood blonde. I took a stool and ordered a vodka martini. The bartender placed it before me, no napkin, and then went back to polishing a glass with a dirty dish towel. From two sunken eyes he studied me carefully. "You're Marlowe, ain't you?" he said. "The shamus."
"You got me confused, bud. I'm a kangaroo."
"Smart guy, huh." He went to the register and came back with two crumpled Washingtons. I'd given him a ten. "We don't get many kangaroos in here."
"Yeah," I said.
-- Bob
---------
Quote: Bob Schroeck wrote:

The results were a really warped colleciton of stuff, including Vladimir Nabokov (imitating the opening of Lolita: "My Roo, my rue... She stood
barely five feet tall in her boxer shorts...") and Henny Youngman (repeating the sample joke word for word). But my two favorites were:

Quote:

The Kangaroo

by Edgar Allen Poe

Once upon a midnight beery

Waiting for the owner, Cleary,

To return and take me weary

From the place and lock the door,

In there came a hopping mammal

To the bar and lit a Camel,

Then it ordered a martini.

(Damnedest thing I ever saw.)

"Vodka," (it said) "Stolichnaya.

Pile the ice a little higher.

Less vermouth, I like it drier.

And some olives, por favor."

Thinking fast to make a few bucks,

Back from ten I gave it two bucks,

Saying, "You're an odd one, Mister,

Never seen your type before."

"At these prices? Nevermore!"
@_@ *falls over*
I was talking more of the RPG.net/SA informal system, where when somebody says/does something good, they get a cookie (or a point) from another person on the
forum, and put it in their sig, along with who gave it, and why.

In that context, Sofaspud would get 1 "It's my job to know what you're thinking" point.

I've been writing a bit.