Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part IV
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
GethN7 Wrote:
robkelk Wrote:
GethN7 Wrote:

I made your life easier, Rob. I checkusered most of the spammers, and they were all using the same IP addresses, all blocked, so this should get them to go away for awhile, put in a request with our stewards if you need any further help, k?
Thanks. I promoted a trusted rollbacker to admin and got his help in cleaning out the spam flood, so we're covered for now. I've also blocked all accounts created today (all 298 of them - we usually get one or two a week), so if the spammers try again with the accounts they didn't use, the new IP addresses should be blocked.

I have had a feature request in for a couple of months, to change the permission of creating new pages from "User" to "Confirmed" (or "Administrator"). That would help prevent a re-occurrence of this mess...

Per your request, I have changed the settings to the following:

users - can edit, but not create new pages.
confirmed/autoconfirmed - can edit and create new pages.

Also, I would like your opinion on the above extensions for ATT, let me know if you want them on your wiki as well.
Thank you very much. I owe you a coffee (or something similar).

The proposed additions make sense for ATT, in my opinion. As for poserdazfreebies, I can see a use for Replace_Text, but not the others. (I'm sorely tempted to ask for MsLinks, but I know that making it easy to download files would encourage people to actually upload copies of the files we higlight on the wiki, and then I'd have to start buying disk space by the terabyte for Orain. I know how expensive a fully-managed, fully-backed-up, fully-powered, RAID-hosted terabyte is. Best not to go there.)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Is Orain down? I can't connect...
--
Rob Kelk

ATT's up, Rob, but I'm posting some 45 minutes after you asked.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Both ATT and the PoserDazFreebies wikis have ReplaceText.

Go to Special:ReplaceText for use.

Think of it as a way to do bot like editing without needing one Smile

NOTE: For really large jobs (500+ pages) a bot is recommended.

UPDATE: The following extensions have been added to make our lives easier:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Quiz

Kind of a fun feature, really, but if we're going to be more academic, I figured this couldn't hurt, might be good for creating Just for Fun Stuff like "Trope Quizzes".

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:MsUpload

Adds a toolbar section in the editor to allow uploading files while editing instead of opening a seperate tab. Does not allow tagging with licenses, so users are responsible for doing so should the image require it.

MsLinks as also been added.

I plan on adding help pages for each to the help section.

Drafts didn't work very well, seems to hate our current caching scheme, and LiquidThreadsOverview has some weird issues, need to research that further.
Geth, is there any way to turn of MsUpload? I couldn't find it in my preferences.
-- Bob
---------
Bob Schroeck Wrote:Geth, is there any way to turn of MsUpload? I couldn't find it in my preferences.

No, but it can be ignored.

If it causes too many issues, I'll remove it.
Decided to try something different today - in addition to my usual editing and not-as-usual kibitzing, I created a page from scratch (without copying anything from Wikipedia). I hope I did it right...
--
Rob Kelk

robkelk Wrote:Decided to try something different today - in addition to my usual editing and not-as-usual kibitzing, I created a page from scratch (without copying anything from Wikipedia). I hope I did it right...

*GethN7 thanks you for this very well made new page*
Oh, looks like you were right about revoking access early being a good idea, robkelk.  This whole situation is really weird, because no one actually wanted him to resign (read: ragequit), and it was all started because someone suggested using a commercial DNS service (which is pretty trivial IMO).
-- ∇×V
vorticity Wrote:Oh, looks like you were right about revoking access early being a good idea, robkelk.  This whole situation is really weird, because no one actually wanted him to resign (read: ragequit), and it was all started because someone suggested using a commercial DNS service (which is pretty trivial IMO).

As Orain Staff, I cannot comment any further on this incident, except to say that this matter should not concern anyone who has a wiki on Orain and that any further updates can be found at the link above.
Well. We're getting those spammers again, with the word salad articles and titles. Geth, what was it about the TitleBlackList that was causing problems a couple weeks ago? If we strip the most troublesome terms from the old list before restoring it, we could at least slow down the spammers a bit.
-- Bob
---------
Bob Schroeck Wrote:Well. We're getting those spammers again, with the word salad articles and titles. Geth, what was it about the TitleBlackList that was causing problems a couple weeks ago? If we strip the most troublesome terms from the old list before restoring it, we could at least slow down the spammers a bit.

Went one step better. I found all the IPs used by that idiot and globally blocked them, which is generally much more effective. If they pop up again, I'll use my CheckUser-fu and shut down any other IPs, but I already got what looks like all of them.
Cool.
-- Bob
---------
Ummm, I'm running into a tendency for the system to declare I'm not logged in when I hit the Save for my edits ... edits which I couldn't have made without being logged in.  If it takes me -- well, I haven't actually timed it, but call it more than about ten minutes to compose and proof-read an entry, then when I go to Save, I get the "You do not have permission" message.  There was one session when I had to log in three different times within roughly an hour and a half. 
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.
DHBirr Wrote:Ummm, I'm running into a tendency for the system to declare I'm not logged in when I hit the Save for my edits ... edits which I couldn't have made without being logged in.  If it takes me -- well, I haven't actually timed it, but call it more than about ten minutes to compose and proof-read an entry, then when I go to Save, I get the "You do not have permission" message.  There was one session when I had to log in three different times within roughly an hour and a half. 

The timeout windoe for a page is fairly low on MediaWiki by default, so if that happens, try saving again if the page reloads with a page timeout error. ot open up another tab, log in on that tab, then attempt to save until it goes through.
Check "Keep me logged in" when you log in - that should solve the problem.
--
Rob Kelk

I recently added the Mobile Frontend extension to our bag of tricks on ATT, which adds a mobile view options for phones and other mobile devices.

Tests on actual mobile devices show it defaults to the normal view, but can be toggled by selecting the Mobile view link at the bottom of each page in normal mode, and has a switch back link in Mobile view in the same location.

No outstanding bugs noted, except the tab menu I added to Recent changes doesn't look right (some of the formatting is missing, but the links show up fine), but aside from that, it looks pretty good, hope it helps out mobile devices users who like that view mode.

TV Tropes recently announced they are beta testing a mobile device view mode, so I decided I'd add one for us, and like them, let me know what you think plz.
We had three lists of pages that needed images: List of Pages Artists Can Illustrate, Pages Needing Images, and CategoryTongueages Needing Images.

We now have one such list: CategoryTongueages Needing Images. (That's the one linked from the Community Portal.) Pages Needing Images now redirects to the category. List of Pages Artists Can Illustrate points to the category, and lists ... well, some old guidelines from TVTropes that aren't completely useless on ATT, but need updating. Anyone have any ideas?
--
Rob Kelk

Argh. Geth, Brent, I want to apologize for getting caught up in a dialogue with NoxiousSludge over his Tumblr review. All I did was make things worse.
-- Bob
---------
Bob Schroeck Wrote:Argh. Geth, Brent, I want to apologize for getting caught up in a dialogue with NoxiousSludge over his Tumblr review. All I did was make things worse.

You're fine. It's a touchy subject, don't worry about it.
Aargh.

As of a couple of minutes ago, clicking on the save button returned a blank page instead of a page saying the edit was saved (or not saved). I thought there might be a problem with my account, so I logged off an tried to log in again ... but I got a blank page instead of the login page.

I've saved my current edit in a text file on my PC, but that doesn't help everyone else...
--
Rob Kelk

robkelk Wrote:Aargh.

As of a couple of minutes ago, clicking on the save button returned a blank page instead of a page saying the edit was saved (or not saved). I thought there might be a problem with my account, so I logged off an tried to log in again ... but I got a blank page instead of the login page.

I've saved my current edit in a text file on my PC, but that doesn't help everyone else...

Flush all cookies, purge your web cache, then try again.

Orain had some captcha issues we recently had to clear up.
Cache purge fixed it - thanks.
--
Rob Kelk

Because I couldn't think of a good reason why not, we now have our own image board:

http://www.8ch.net/allthetropes/

And a Voat account:

http://voat.co/v/allthetropes
... What is Voat? I've never heard of it before.
-- Bob
---------
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13