Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Dude, we got a Dell.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It arrived today, finally. Vostro 1720, lots of goodies, lots of warranty and related coverage, beautiful cherry red (as in the wood, not the car color) case.

Now I just have to order the router -- which I will do as soon as I balance the checkbook and make sure we have money for it in the budget.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
I'm not quite sure how to respond to that. On one hand, new technology is always a good thing.

On the other, though, you made me think of those stupid, stupid Dell commercials, which I'd been successfully forgetting for the last few years. Now I
have to start all over again! That's some serious Dark Side points you just got there.

I hope you enjoy the computer, and I hope the bad karma you just earned doesn't cause any problems with it.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.
Quote:On the other, though, you made me think of those stupid, stupid Dell commercials. That's some serious Dark Side points there.
Well, if you want to deconstruct the tagline...
"So, just who is Adelle, and does she really not mind being somebody's property?"
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
I was thinking of that twist after I posted...

Peggy is currently typing away at an Excel file in the living room and appears entranced by the new toy.

And now not only do I have to get the router, I'm also going to have to look for a little device I've heard of but never seen -- a wireless connection
to our HD TV set so we can use it as a monitor. (I so want to play COH on a 30-inch screen...)
-- Bob
---------
While that is the neatest device I've ever heard of Bob, I have to say the technology isn't quite up to expectations yet. Not to mention that it costs a lung to buy. If they ever make these able to work smoothly and not quite so expensive, I'll be all over one like a hobo on a ham sandwich.

http://www.enduserblog.com/2009/07/usb- ... mark-.html
Ask Wire for the magics of screens. I believe he was talking about a 40-inch screen back when I was about.
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI
Vostro's a good line from Dell - it's a good bridge between the rugged/stable hardware of their Optiplex/Latitude lines and their
cost-effective/variable hardware in their Inspiron/Studio/XPS lines.

They also use more off-the-shelf-type components.

I recommend them for practically every use out there.
Bob, the only thing I can recommend for your TV screen is a long-ass cable.
(looks at link) Ah. The tech here at work who was marvelling about the widget (which he owned) must either own something else, or doesn't have high
standards. If Peggy doesn't object, maybe I'll just go for the long-ass cable.
-- Bob
---------
*Shruggs* Shikata nai, friend. With the exception of the possible need to drill holes in your walls, cable connections are usually a much more sound idea, especially if you know that you aren't moving anytime in the next few years or so. More work, yes, but connectivity and throughput is less of an issue.
Wasn't even going to go that far -- the TV's in an open cabinet, a 10 or 15-foot cable would run neatly to coffee table in front of the leather couch,
and "watch your step" signs are cheap to make. I'll leave it plugged in on the TV end and just coil it up in the cabinet when
we're not using it.
-- Bob
---------
does the Vostro have a DVI or HDMI port?

does the TV have an HDMI port?

Edit: on the next episode of G.I. Joe, the Joes face their most fearsome enemy yet. Prepare yourselves to face the evil majesty of VOSTRO!
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies
The TV does indeed have an HDMI port. I don't remember about the laptop -- I did read the documentation, but I wasn't looking for that bit of info at
the time. I'll need to check when I get home. I may be getting ahead of myself.
-- Bob
---------
Rather than a long cable you could also pickup a wireless keyboard and mouse and just use a regular sized cable. That's what I'm currently doing
with my computer. Only problem is the occasional website that doesn't let the browser control text size making it hard to read. Also, if you pick up
wireless keyboards for the both of you make sure they're different brands, or they'll interfere with eachother.
--
If you become a monster to put down a monster you've still got a monster running around at the end of the day and have as such not really solved the whole monster problem at all. 
looks like the graphics output on the Vostro is VGA/HD-15 only, which makes cabling easy, at least.

Seconding the wireless keyboard/mouse.
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies
Wireless keyboard and mouse... A pretty sound idea. Emphasizes the sensation that you got yourself a really fugging huge computer station.

HOWEVER... I also recomned having the cable. Why? Why for taking notes, of course.

Don't follow? Check this out. Sometimes I'll have an anime that I'll wish to take notes on for the purpose of writing. Now, having downloaded most
of my anime through torrents, that stuff ain't gonna play in a DVD player (and if I do happen to make it happen, then chances are it will look pretty
crappy anyways). Therefore, it makes it most convienient to be able to put the anime in question up on the BIG SCREEN and keep the laptop in my lap where I
take notes at my liesure. (Hint: Be sure to use the Extend Desktop setting in your display settings.)

All that said, I recomend having both the long-ass cable around and the wireless keyboard and mouse.
This is why my DVP is my -old- laptop, which I control remotely via VNC, and keep my current laptop up with me.

Only problem is that it isn't quite enough muscle to play the latest HQ codecs, so things like the new Bleach episodes won't run.

Which I'll be fixing soon. Smile
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.