Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part VII
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Hm. Does the avatar feature support Gravatar avatars?

I've just done a readthru plus an edit pass (punctuation, grammar, and breaking up some overly long sentences, mostly). Everything there looks reasonable to me.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Bob Schroeck Wrote:Hm. Does the avatar feature support Gravatar avatars?

I've just done a readthru plus an edit pass (punctuation, grammar, and breaking up some overly long sentences, mostly). Everything there looks reasonable to me.
No. Only uploaded png, jpg, or .gif files less than 100KB in size.

Thanks for the edit pass, been dolling it up as I think of things inbetween doing various errands.

Some of the other SocialProfile features are currently under review, will update the draft as those features come online.

Those features are:

Blogging; Near complete, needs commenting fuctionality added.

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:UserWelcome - Will allow us to add some parser text to the front page to personalize it for each individual user that is logged in.

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:FanBoxes - A userbox creator specialized for SocialProfile.

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extensio ... rd_Welcome - A different way of presenting users a welcome message like New User Message did, sidesteps issues Flow has with that extension.

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:QuizGame - An extension to allow us and other users to creates quizzes (like a quiz on certain tropes or other site specific quizzes for whatever, basically a fun feature)

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:SiteScout - A SocialProfile optimized version of Special;RecentChanges (will be added as an option for viewing in the sidebar)

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:MiniInvite - Enables the ability for users to email people they know with invitations to join All The Tropes via the extension interface.

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:NewUsersList - Will allow adding a section to the main page displaying newest users to join our wiki, with avatars if provided.

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extensio ... ithAvatars - A variation of the above that is randomized.

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extensio ... aturedUser - a parser hook to feature a particular user, for whatever reason.

See this wiki to see how the avatar displaying mentioned above works:

http://www.destinypedia.com/Main_Page

Oops.

I uploaded an image before checking whether the page already had one. Then I discovered we don't have the page. (How was I to know? It's a Studio Ghibli movie, for-crying-out-loud!)

I'm leaving the image on the wiki, and adding the anime to List of Works that Need Summary... unless the Fair Use exemptions in US copyright law say I shouldn't.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Another technical update.

The blogging feature works fine now, go nuts if you want to try it out.

Currently waiting on the other stuff to pass security review.

I have also put in a request to change our default user skin to work better with our new features:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Skin:Refreshed

It won't be happening anytime soon, unless some issues making it play nice with our site are resolved, but here's why I plan on getting our default skin (Vector will still be an option in the user preferences) changed to this one:

1. Allows for horizontal and vertical tabs, much like Wikia's Oasis skin and TV Tropes' default interface.

2. Fully compatible with Echo and all other known Vector based extensions.

3. Scalable CSS and built in Mobile support.

4. Built in SocialProfile compatibility.

5. Cleaner interface with much more screen space for actual content
I see that categories aren't updating again on ATT or the freebie wiki. Does Miraheze already have a tracking ticket for this, or should I go open one?
--
Rob Kelk

robkelk Wrote:I see that categories aren't updating again on ATT or the freebie wiki. Does Miraheze already have a tracking ticket for this, or should I go open one?
If they are having high server load, it could be taking awhile for the jobs to process. If nothing happens after another day, then I'd open a ticket.
GethN7 Wrote:
robkelk Wrote:I see that categories aren't updating again on ATT or the freebie wiki. Does Miraheze already have a tracking ticket for this, or should I go open one?
If they are having high server load, it could be taking awhile for the jobs to process. If nothign happens after another day, then I'd open a ticket.
It's already been over 36 hours since I noticed it. I'll go open a ticket.

EDIT: T918
--
Rob Kelk

Miraheze is down right now; we apologize for the inconvenience and are working as hard as possible to restore service.  Our database had grown so large that our original database server db1 could no longer hold the data, and so we moved the data over to a new server db2.  This new copy of the data has become sufficiently corrupted that MariaDB refuses to start.  We do have recent backups of everything as of Sunday, so as a worst case scenario, we could have two days of data loss.  Hopefully we'll be able to recover more than that as we move forward.
-- ∇×V
Fingers crossed that it won't come to restoring from backup. (That wouldn't hurt the freebie wiki too much, but I recall quite a few pages were cleaned up on ATT over last weekend.)
--
Rob Kelk

Yeah. "Well, mother-frakking crap!" was my reaction to that given how much work I put in over the last two days myself, including at least one new page.
-- Bob
---------
Bob Schroeck Wrote:Yeah. "Well, mother-frakking crap!" was my reaction to that given how much work I put in over the last two days myself, including at least one new page.

I did some work too, that might get flushed as well, so totally know that feel.
We are restoring from the backups, but we might be able to restore tables that are non-corrupted.  It looks like the query that first hit a broken database was an ordinary search for some text in traditional Chinese.  We don't know which db it was, but still, looking good for us.  So unless some of y'all are total hanzi fans, I'm expecting our tables to come out OK.
-- ∇×V
I wonder if this was related to the problem where if you searched on a phrase that wouldn't trigger an autocomplete, you almost always got a 50* error...
-- Bob
---------
Whoever managed to recover all of the updates to the freebie wiki (EDIT except for a single comment on a single talk page),
Thank You.
--
Rob Kelk

vorticity Wrote:We are restoring from the backups, but we might be able to restore tables that are non-corrupted.  It looks like the query that first hit a broken database was an ordinary search for some text in traditional Chinese.  We don't know which db it was, but still, looking good for us.  So unless some of y'all are total hanzi fans, I'm expecting our tables to come out OK.
Hiragana, yes. Hanzi, no.
--
Rob Kelk

Got some news for you all.

ATT is being restored as we speak, but they are taking it slow to make sure they don't screw it up.

So far, outlook good, but considering our sheer size, they are being extra careful to restore us, but they want to make sure they don't corrupt any data in the process of doing so.
That's right, we are back to full functionality, and even better, to the exact moment before it went down too!

Give the guys at Miraheze a hand, no hard work we did was lost!
Woo-hoo! Fantastic!
-- Bob
---------
Excellent!

EDIT: Just noticed that a couple of recent changes (including one that I made) were lost on Fantastic Measurement System. Since the page has been edited after the db crash, I'll have to fix that by hand. (From home, later - I'm not logging in with my admin account from a government IP.)
--
Rob Kelk

Ladies and Gentlemen, I would request, if you have an account on ATT, you stop by and give this guy your thanks:

http://allthetropes.org/wiki/Topic:Tdz43a3vyk6oiv82

Lulzkiller (yes, same guy as one of the sysops on ED) graciously spent a lot of his spare time working on fixing a ton of disambiguation links for us, and he did so entirely as a courtesy, and I request, if you have a moment, you thank him for doing all that free work for us.
Hi folks, we're back again!

Sorry for the long hiatus, we were busy not only with the new wiki, but also with some gigs to make some dough. Had to. Also, as long as we don't have any cool new features we could show you, we wouldn't post anything - that's just how we roll.

Also sorry for the tough time your families have been going through in the last weeks. We feel with you.
Bob Schroeck Wrote:I should try to find all my old reviews on TVT and port them over. I had some, not a lot, but some.

You know, some time ago we spidered all the reviews on Tv Tropes, took those from before July 1st 2012, converted them to our wiki code, and imported them to our wiki (as threads - that was about one month ago).

Since we still have the old files, and it wouldn't cost us much: Would you be interested in those? (We're talking about some thousands of 'em.)
vorticity Wrote:@TvT Rivals: You didn't post the salt along with the hash.  I am curious why you didn't choose one of the stock solutions today like bcrypt or scrypt.  The bcrypt algorithm is designed to be configurably slow so the cracking difficulty level can be increased along with Moore's Law. The scrypt approach is similar, but it also uses a lot of memory so that one cannot simply parallelize into Mordor.

1. Oh, it was totally deliberate that we didn't post the salt. The idea was: We'll post the salt in several chunks. Today you get the first one: "7VtdN1Wl".

2. Thank you very much for suggesting scrypt. We'll definitely implement this instead of our old solution. While we're at it, we'll also update the database (that is, the user table) in a way that it'll allow further security improvements. Just in case someone invents an even safer algorithm (hard to imagine, though).

Yeah, security is pretty important to us.
robkelk Wrote:Why are we using CC-BY-SA 4.0?

While you're at it, we'd like to make a suggestion:

Why not make an official alliance, you and us? For the moment, with one item only: We agree to use the same license for our content, just to make sure that people will be able swap content between your wiki and our wiki.

What do you think?
TvT Rivals Wrote:
robkelk Wrote:Why are we using CC-BY-SA 4.0?

While you're at it, we'd like to make a suggestion:

Why not make an official alliance, you and us? For the moment, with one item only: We agree to use the same license for our content, just to make sure that people will be able swap content between your wiki and our wiki.

What do you think?
I have no problem with that at all.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12