Drunkard's Walk Forums
Chapter 14 May Be Delayed - Printable Version

+- Drunkard's Walk Forums (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums)
+-- Forum: The Drunkard's Walk (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Forum: Drunkard's Walk II: Robot's Rules of Order (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Thread: Chapter 14 May Be Delayed (/showthread.php?tid=1183)

Chapter 14 May Be Delayed - Bob Schroeck - 10-31-2003

My computer at home died yesterday -- apparently the victim of a power surge/outage that the rest of the house handled without a problem (save for the ubiquitous blanked clocks). I'm going to be working as fast as I can to fix it -- I'm taking the opportunity to get the upgrade I've talked about for a while -- but in the mean time this may delay the release of Chapter 14. I'll do my best to see that it isn't delayed, but for the moment I'm expecting that it will be.
My apologies.

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Re: Chapter 14 May Be Delayed - Star Ranger4 - 10-31-2003

I *KNEW* my hopes for chapter 14 were gonna get it somehow."I was an Otaku before those kids came along and changed the meaning of the word."
-- HM "Howling Mad" Wilson to more than one team-mate.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

Re: Chapter 14 May Be Delayed - Ace Dreamer - 11-01-2003

Aren't several of the Warriors lightning wielders?
Hmm. Maybe we should suspect a conspiracy! [grin]
Last time I upgraded my computer layout, I put in two "Trust" five-way surge protected leads, off the two-way room socket, on the theory that should be enough. It wasn't of course...
I have been tempted for several years to put in a UPS, based around two 12V car batteries, between all the computer kit and the house supply. If the power gets much more flakey in the UK (government turned a reliable monopoly over to "market forces" a few years ago), this will move a lot up my priority list.
Good luck, and don't let too many Giga Bytes get you! [grin]
(Go 64-bit, you know it makes sense! [grin])
--
"It is the business of the future to be dangerous" - Hawkwind

Re: Chapter 14 May Be Delayed - offsides - 11-01-2003

Just buy a UPS - they're cheap enough if you can get a small one, and they will keep your 'puter much safer than a surge strip. And there's no reason for him to go 64-bit, none of the current gerenation of tools he uses will make use of it Smile
Offsides (who's gonna give Bob a UPS if he's correct about having a spare)Drunkard's Walk Forum Moderator and Prereader At Large

Re: Chapter 14 May Be Delayed - Kokuten - 11-03-2003

Also, you _may_ be able to simply replace the power supply and go on as if nothing ever happened.
'course, it's about as likely as me actually getting off my lazy ass and finishing this computer mod I started designing...
also, GET A UPS. period.
[Image: koksig.jpg]
---
Kokuten DaysleeperRetired Epicced Officered DorfWire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979

Re: Chapter 14 May Be Delayed - offsides - 11-03-2003

The whole system was fried as far as I could tell - most likely from a lightning stike that came in over the phone line to the modem that was no longer needed... 'course, Bob ended up with a much nicer 'puter out of it after we went parts shopping and got it working again Smile
And I have a UPS for him, I just need to figure out when I can get it to him...
Offsides
Drunkard's Walk Forum Moderator and Prereader At Large

Re: Chapter 14 May Be Delayed - Bob Schroeck - 11-03-2003

Quote:
The whole system was fried as far as I could tell - most likely from a lightning stike that came in over the phone line to the modem that was no longer needed...
Not lightning -- it was a clear day Thursday. We had a power outage, as every clock in the house was zeroed; I'm sure it was related to that somehow.
Quote:
'course, Bob ended up with a much nicer 'puter out of it after we went parts shopping and got it working again Smile
That I did -- see my note up in General/General for a simple inventory of parts...
Quote:
And I have a UPS for him, I just need to figure out when I can get it to him...
And you wanted my old case and PS and forgot to take it...
Hm. Can you Fedex a UPS?

-- Bob
---------

Re: Chapter 14 May Be Delayed - offsides - 11-03-2003

Quote:
Hm. Can you Fedex a UPS?
Not only can you. but I've been on the receiving end of it (well, Airborne Express, but same concept) Smile
Drop me an e-mail with a good day for me to stop by and swap parts with you - I'm on self-declared vacation this week, so any day is good except today Smile
Offsides
Drunkard's Walk Forum Moderator and Prereader At Large

Re: Chapter 14 May Be Delayed - Bob Schroeck - 11-03-2003

Will do. Today's bad for us, too, but we have options, oh yes, we have options.

-- Bob
---------

Re: Chapter 14 May Be Delayed - cpt kangarooski - 11-05-2003

Quote:
Just buy a UPS - they're cheap enough if you can get a small one, and they will keep your 'puter much safer than a surge strip.
This is often not the case. A UPS doesn't necessarily entail much more than a battery. How well it will regulate wall power can vary enormously from not at all, to stupendously, generally proportionate to how much it costs.
Frankly, you might be better off getting a dedicated line conditioner of some sort, and hooking a UPS purely for battery purposes into it.