Drunkard's Walk Forums
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part VIII - Printable Version

+- Drunkard's Walk Forums (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums)
+-- Forum: General (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General Chatter (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+---- Forum: All The Tropes Wiki Archive (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Thread: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part VIII (/showthread.php?tid=12353)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

- LulzKiller - 03-03-2017

http://allthetropes.org/wiki/Category: ... rope_Lists

There was a problem with the beginning of some of these lists not being capitalised in terms of name titles, I fixed this problem, at least on the split lists that have been correctly categorised as such.

- Bob Schroeck - 03-03-2017

Some anonymous user just swept in and decided we needed a sandbox in the All The Tropes: project space. I deleted it as redundant, given the "My Sandbox" gadget that's available to anyone who cares to register (and because I was annoyed at the arrogance of someone who won't bother to register deciding we needed a feature), but it got me thinking... Can we -- and should we -- protect the "All The Tropes:" namespace from editing by anonymous editors, or maybe even non-admins?
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

- LulzKiller - 03-03-2017

anon editors def, non-admins are ok because no signs of abuse for now.

I made an edit to the sandbox because the user called it the "All The Tropes Wiki's official sandbox" and it triggered autism regarding how we uniformly say All The Tropes in self-reference, but otherwise my edits were not an endorsement.

In terms of arrogance, I guess per http://allthetropes.org/wiki/All_The_Tropes:Bold we have to assume good faith.

- Bob Schroeck - 03-03-2017

True enough. "Arrogance" was my projection onto his motives, not necessarily the reality. It is, in fact, far easier for me to see good intentions after I take a moment to shelve the emotional reaction.

As for your "autism", hell, I almost did the same kind of thing before my inner admin said, "hold on a minute".

Not sure where you intended to send readers with that link but it goes to an empty page.

EDIT: And after pouring over the ATT "Special Pages" page, it does not appear possible to place protections on a namespace.
-- Bob
---------

- robkelk - 03-03-2017

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Not sure where you intended to send readers with that link but it goes to an empty page.
Everybody gets caught by a case-sensitive name once in a while - it's BOLD, not Bold.

(And since it's a redirect, here's the final link: http://allthetropes.org/wiki/All_The_T ... dit_Boldly )
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

- LulzKiller - 03-04-2017

I made the case sensitive a redirect anyway to prevent further problems.

Also there seems to be a lot of activity from 2601/2 IPv6 range addresses, It'd be easier if people actually bothered signing up.

- Bob Schroeck - 03-04-2017

Yeah, I have no problem with the one-time editors, but the ones who keep coming back really ought to register. If only so we can reliably contact them when we need to.
-- Bob
---------

- GethN7 - 03-04-2017

Well, if IP editors are becoming an issue, I would not be opposed to a general vote on disallowing IP editing and only allowing registered users.

- Bob Schroeck - 03-04-2017

Though I cannot remember it, we apparently started out only allowing registered editors (at least according to a project page I edited a few days ago). On general principles, I prefer allowing unregistered contributors, and even though this one guy is bugging me I don't think it merits restricting everyone else.
-- Bob
---------

- robkelk - 03-05-2017

Vikivoyage has an "add an entry" function for adding new listings of attractions. Perhaps, if the licence terms are compatible and it can be set to appear only on particular pages, we could leverage that for an "add a quote" function. If not, perhaps we could find something similar elsewhere.
--
Rob Kelk

- LulzKiller - 03-06-2017

BTW I really like how Bob did that navbox with the stages, it's good to know that they can be used in a way to make ATT stand out + shows how MediaWiki can be an advantage.

- Bob Schroeck - 03-06-2017

Thanks. I'm still working on the whole presentation, including a "Trope Life Cycle" page, but yeah, it came out well.
-- Bob
---------

- LulzKiller - 03-07-2017

http://allthetropes.org/w/index.php?ti ... n0cl0lrj4i

EMP image forum thread, want thoughts on my proposed image, it's a page marked for needing an image.

- Bob Schroeck - 03-07-2017

Okay, I've finished a proposed page for "Trope Life Cycle", which I've put up for review in the http://allthetropes.org/wiki/Trope_Wor ... Life_Cycle]Trope Workshop. Please give it a look.
-- Bob
---------

- LulzKiller - 03-08-2017

http://allthetropes.org/wiki/Topic:Tmbyu5iexzr24e4y

Celebrity Survivor image forum thread, I proposed an use of an actual example made in the article.

- robkelk - 03-08-2017

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Okay, I've finished a proposed page for "Trope Life Cycle", which I've put up for review in the http://allthetropes.org/wiki/Trope_Wor ... Life_Cycle]Trope Workshop. Please give it a look.
You've left nothing for me to add.
--
Rob Kelk

- Bob Schroeck - 03-08-2017

Thanks, Rob.

Let me raise a question here that I raised on the talk page for Trope Life Cycle: during my research I found a couple references off the wiki to forgotten/dead tropes being resurrected, usually by virtue of an influential work which dragged them back into the meme pool. But none of those references actually identified any particular tropes that got resurrected. Can anyone here think of any? Should I delete the "resurrected" section if no one can point to any truly resurrected tropes?

Thanks.
-- Bob
---------

- robkelk - 03-08-2017

Boarding School mentions that the Harry Potter stories"revived many of its tropes".
--
Rob Kelk

- Bob Schroeck - 03-08-2017

Oh, nice catch. I'll add that to TLC as an example.
-- Bob
---------

- Labster - 03-09-2017

I think it's time that we have a discussion about whether or not two of our administrators are in violation of staff policy #3.  Behavior that happens off-wiki, especially if it's prejudiced or harassing, can have effects on people at our wiki.  In particular, I'm getting tired of the libel against my family, the harassing phone calls, the extortion attempts, and the email threads populated by complete nutters.  Now, you two are not directly responsible for this, but there is a pattern of unsavory behavior that led to the attention of these humans.  And I've gotten a report about harassment as a hate crime against one of you from one of the saner humans.
I'm wondering if it's appropriate for sanctions to be given to staff for off-wiki behavior, and to what extent those sanctions should be.  Removal of adminship, temp bans, bans until remediation, simple censure?  I'm not going to give anyone up for this, because who wants their friends to be harassed like this?  But I do think that there should be consequences.
-- ∇×V

- robkelk - 03-10-2017

Did I do a bad thing when I suggested rule #9, "We do not hide who we are"? Do we have a reason to not identify ourselves as ATT admins when discussing tropes at sites other than ATT?
--
Rob Kelk

- GethN7 - 03-10-2017

vorticity Wrote:I think it's time that we have a discussion about whether or not two of our administrators are in violation of staff policy #3.  Behavior that happens off-wiki, especially if it's prejudiced or harassing, can have effects on people at our wiki.  In particular, I'm getting tired of the libel against my family, the harassing phone calls, the extortion attempts, and the email threads populated by complete nutters.  Now, you two are not directly responsible for this, but there is a pattern of unsavory behavior that led to the attention of these humans.  And I've gotten a report about harassment as a hate crime against one of you from one of the saner humans.

I'm wondering if it's appropriate for sanctions to be given to staff for off-wiki behavior, and to what extent those sanctions should be.  Removal of adminship, temp bans, bans until remediation, simple censure?  I'm not going to give anyone up for this, because who wants their friends to be harassed like this?  But I do think that there should be consequences.
I know what you are referring to. I will not contest any action you believe appropriate.

- LulzKiller - 03-10-2017

let's quote rule 3

"The Wiki has no borders. All The Tropes documents the full range of human creativity, regardless of culture or nation of origin. We promise you that administrative xenophobia or prejudice will not limit the works, memes and tropes that may be discussed and quantified on the wiki. We further promise that we will not allow a contributor's xenophobia or prejudice to intimidate other contributors out of pursuing their particular interests."

We'll split this up and see whether this has been affected.

The Wiki has no borders.
Still true.

All The Tropes documents the full range of human creativity, regardless of culture or nation of origin.

Still true.

We promise you that administrative xenophobia or prejudice will not limit the works, memes and tropes that may be discussed and quantified on the wiki.

It hasn't.

We further promise that we will not allow a contributor's xenophobia or prejudice to intimidate other contributors out of pursuing their particular interests

This is the only line close to any eligibility. Let's analyse this. Has any current staff member used such xenophobia or prejudice to stop an ATT user from pursuing their particular troping interests? I am unfortunately not able to remember such an example occurring for any member.

On a completely different not, I think removal of adminship/censure would have to be decided on consensus in the same way appointment on one has been handled, this only makes logical sense.

- GethN7 - 03-10-2017

In reference to what Brent has brought up, I have voluntarily surrendered my administrator flag and have left a message on my user page that I am taking an indefinite sabbatical.

This is of my own choice, of my own free will, and I have thought this through.

I leave executive decisions up to the other staff and up to the community for all other matters from now on. There is no need for consensus review of this decision, I have chosen to do so voluntarily until at such time this situation has passed and, by consent of the community, my return with full rights is considered kosher.

- Bob Schroeck - 03-10-2017

And by the time I see this, it's all shaken out. Geth, I'm sorry to see you take that step. I have some doubts that it'll stop the nutter(s), but we'll see. And never forget that you will be welcome back.
-- Bob
---------