Drunkard's Walk Forums
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part IX - Printable Version

+- Drunkard's Walk Forums (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums)
+-- Forum: General (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General Chatter (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+---- Forum: All The Tropes Wiki Archive (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Thread: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part IX (/showthread.php?tid=12398)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

- GethN7 - 06-30-2017

Just leaving a message I might not be available for the next few days, my father was so ill my mother had to rush him off to the ER and I'm now having to field phone calls for her and make sure the rest of the family is kept updated.

Don't know when he'll be better, he was feverish, delirious, and severely dehydrated when we finally got the paramedics out to take him to the ER.

- robkelk - 06-30-2017

Family comes first. Always.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

- Bob Schroeck - 06-30-2017

Yes. Take care of your father.

Our best wishes go with him and you.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

- Bob Schroeck - 06-30-2017

We've got a new user entry-pimping himself -- Xandermartin98. I wouldn't bring it up except he's been very, um, enthusiastic. To the measure of dozens of kilobytes of contributions so far today. And some of it is of questionable taste.

Not that we've ever had a standard of taste, really... but... Well, would someone else look over his stuff and let me know if I'm just overreacting? Thanks.
-- Bob
---------

- robkelk - 07-01-2017

Bob Schroeck Wrote:We've got a new user entry-pimping himself -- Xandermartin98. I wouldn't bring it up except he's been very, um, enthusiastic. To the measure of dozens of kilobytes of contributions so far today. And some of it is of questionable taste.

Not that we've ever had a standard of taste, really... but... Well, would someone else look over his stuff and let me know if I'm just overreacting? Thanks.
Some of it seems okay, some of it... not so much. I deleted what I thought to be the most egregious example - not because it was egregious, but because it was off-topic for the page that it was on.

I've put this onto the page that the troper created about his own work:
{{cleanup|This page was written by the author of the work that it describes. [[Death of the Author|Additional interpretations of the work would be appreciated.]}}

EDIT: And there's a difference between Shameless Self-Promotion and Astroturfing. This troper's way into Astroturfing territory.
--
Rob Kelk

- GethN7 - 07-01-2017

robkelk Wrote:
Bob Schroeck Wrote:We've got a new user entry-pimping himself -- Xandermartin98. I wouldn't bring it up except he's been very, um, enthusiastic. To the measure of dozens of kilobytes of contributions so far today. And some of it is of questionable taste.

Some of it seems okay, some of it... not so much. I deleted what I thought to be the most egregious example - not because it was egregious, but because it was off-topic for the page that it was on.

I've put this onto the page that the troper created about his own work:
{{cleanup|This page was written by the author of the work that it describes. [[Death of the Author|Additional interpretations of the work would be appreciated.]}}

EDIT: And there's a difference between Shameless Self-Promotion and Astroturfing. This troper's way into Astroturfing territory.
Brief update, Dad out of danger, but he's still in the hospital for observation, turns out he got a lot better after some blood transfusions and some fluids, but they still want to watch over him for a few more days to figure out why everything went to pot all at once, so I'll be away for a few more days.

As for this particular user, yeah, keep an eye on them, and some of their content has me a bit concerned it might go into the gutter, so it wouldn't hurt to to read over their contributions some more if anyone has time.

- robkelk - 07-02-2017

Geth, I'm happy to hear that your father's not in danger. Take your time; the wiki will still be here when you come back.

Changing topics...

Why do we not have a page for Marvin the Martian? Where am I supposed to use this image?
--
Rob Kelk

- GethN7 - 07-03-2017

Gentlemen, I have some good news.

First, my father has recovered nicely. He has a very treatable case of kidney disease, and will be undergoing regular dialysis, and is nowhere near being in any danger anytime soon.

Also, I requested we get another full backup of our wiki not too long ago on Archive.org for precautionary purposes, and I'm pleased to say it can be found here:

http://archive.org/details/allthetropeswiki

- Bob Schroeck - 07-03-2017

Excellent news, on both fronts. Again, best wishes from the forum and me for your father's quick recovery and continued health.
-- Bob
---------

- Bob Schroeck - 07-04-2017

Could someone who is active right now (4:30 PM on 4 July, Eastern time) help out Never0, who seems to be suffering from a fundamental incomprehension of what redirects are supposed to do? I need to get on the road in a few minutes or I'd do it myself.

Thanks.
-- Bob
---------

- robkelk - 07-05-2017

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Could someone who is active right now (4:30 PM on 4 July, Eastern time) help out Never0, who seems to be suffering from a fundamental incomprehension of what redirects are supposed to do? I need to get on the road in a few minutes or I'd do it myself.

Thanks.
As of 6pm on July 4, it looks like somebody's helped him (or he's figured it out himself).

I've had a request to add ExtensionBig GrinynamicPageList (Wikimedia) to the freebie wiki. Are there any security concerns about this extension?
--
Rob Kelk

- GethN7 - 07-06-2017

robkelk Wrote:
Bob Schroeck Wrote:Could someone who is active right now (4:30 PM on 4 July, Eastern time) help out Never0, who seems to be suffering from a fundamental incomprehension of what redirects are supposed to do? I need to get on the road in a few minutes or I'd do it myself.

Thanks.
As of 6pm on July 4, it looks like somebody's helped him (or he's figured it out himself).

I've had a request to add ExtensionBig GrinynamicPageList (Wikimedia) to the freebie wiki. Are there any security concerns about this extension?
No problems with security I'm aware of. It might be a resource using issue if you go insane and plop all sorts of uses of it on every single page with tons of qualifiers for each list (since they are generated dynamically and not cached), but I doubt even that will be an issue, given the WMF version is a pretty lightweight extension resource wise.

- Labster - 07-06-2017

Yeah.  There's nothing really to worry about with DPL.  It's one of two versions installed; ATT has the heavier version DynamicPageList3.  DPL2 is also a thing, but on reading that extension's code it kind of made my eyes bleed.  (Though not nearly as badly as the EPU forum code, lol.)
-- ∇×V

- robkelk - 07-06-2017

Well, if Miraheze already has DynamicPageList3 installed, we may as well go with that. I'll make the request when I'm back in Ottawa.

The request was for a search box on the Main Page. I can see the usefulness of having search boxes on the major index pages as well, pre-loaded with whatever the index is about and letting users add additional terms.
--
Rob Kelk

Re: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part IX - LulzKiller - 07-08-2017

http://allthetropes.org/wiki/Topic:Ttwrwfc3kk232e1e

New user letting us know that he'll be updating some MLP pages.

Re: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part IX - robkelk - 07-08-2017

Yeah, I encouraged him/her to continue.
--
Rob Kelk

Re: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part IX - GethN7 - 07-13-2017

Ladies and Gentleman, on behalf of Lulzkiller, I would like to ask if he may finally come back to ATT as an administrator, if only so he can edit there and use admin tools to curate items he cannot effectively handle as a regular user.

He has stayed away and remained quiet on this front for a long time, and I believe he has spent enough time in the wilderness, as it were, and should be allowed back, if only on a probationary basis temporarily if need be, and if he proves trustworthy to once again handle this level of responsibility, he should be able to resume having admin level power for curation of the wiki full time, as he has often used those powers before on ATT and I have every confidence they will be confined to that again.

I humbly request the rest of the administration team and any other users who wish to comment to please give me your opinion on this proposal as soon as possible.

Re: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part IX - robkelk - 07-13-2017

My only concern is that LulzKiller doesn't yet have the skills to handle a discussion where the other participant is goading him/her into making a rash statement.

But that's a skill one needs to learn on-the-job.

I have no objection to bringing LulzKiller back onto the admin team.
--
Rob Kelk

Re: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part IX - Labster - 07-13-2017

Right. If you always dismiss people for making mistakes, you don't have a staff of smart people, you just have a staff of lucky people. So I'm fine with welcoming him back.

Maybe we should find out what Bob thinks some other way, given that he can't login to his own forum.
-- ∇×V

Re: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part IX - robkelk - 07-13-2017

wrote: Wrote:...
Maybe we should find out what Bob thinks some other way, given that he can't login to his own forum.
I've forwarded the forum posts to Bob. (Mind you, I'll be busy today, so please don't ask for an update for at least 12 hours.)
--
Rob Kelk

Re: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part IX - robkelk - 07-14-2017

Email from Bob:
Quote:> Hi Bob! Hope the vacation's going well, and your connection problems are
> being sorted out.

The vacation's fine, but I've yet to see any response from Tapatalk support.

> Yesterday evening, Geth posted a request that LulzKiller be reinstated as
> an admin. Brent has asked for your opinion.

I have no objection to reinstating Lulzkiller.

-- Bob
--
Rob Kelk

Re: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part IX - GethN7 - 07-14-2017

It would seem all active admins are in agreeance. If no one has any objections, I would like to hand LK back his mod hat.

Re: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part IX - robkelk - 07-14-2017

My concern was not an objection.
--
Rob Kelk

Re: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part IX - GethN7 - 07-14-2017

Very well. I have since restored his mod hat.

Re: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part IX - LulzKiller - 07-14-2017

First real authoritative decision now that I'm back is the realisation that MediaWikiBig Grineletereason-dropdown does not have a duplicate page reason, only duplicate category, one has now been added for future use.

Also getting used to this new format is a bit weird and somewhat of a learning curve, I am all in favour of us having a forum that doesn't look like it's 1999 anymore but tapatalk is a forum software I am not used to.