Drunkard's Walk Forums
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIII - Printable Version

+- Drunkard's Walk Forums (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums)
+-- Forum: General (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General Chatter (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+---- Forum: All The Tropes Wiki Archive (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Thread: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIII (/showthread.php?tid=13234)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIII - robkelk - 01-18-2019

Ongoing stuff from the end of the last thread:

"Turn of the Millennium" lists:

(01-08-2019, 04:34 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Do we really need all the subpages under Turn of the Millennium? I mean, they're just lists, not content. If the pages are properly categorized, this is all redundant. And they're all at least six years out of date anyway, as new works pages get created and not added to these lists.
(01-08-2019, 07:12 PM)robkelk Wrote: Much like that no-longer-existing page of where all those tropes' images came from, we can use them as checklists to make sure the works actually have the categories. As we confirm the categories are present, we can take the works off of these lists... and eventually redirect the pages to the matching categories.

Search bar weirdness:

(01-14-2019, 08:47 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:
(01-13-2019, 07:17 PM)robkelk Wrote: Oh, and has anybody else had trouble using the search box to find categories, templates and files since the last upgrade?

It's not just the search box. The pop-up hints no longer offer templates, categories or files, either.
(01-16-2019, 10:20 PM)robkelk Wrote:
(01-16-2019, 07:25 PM)robkelk Wrote: I just tried setting the project namespace to being a namespace that has content. Let's give it a bit of time to index, and check in a few hours whether we can search for All The Tropes pages.

Two hours later, and no joy. (And I won't have time to enter a Phabricator report until tomorrow night at the earliest - could somebody else file a trouble ticket, please?)

And "TVT approved examples"

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIII - Bob Schroeck - 01-18-2019

(01-18-2019, 08:35 AM)robkelk Wrote: Ongoing stuff from the end of the last thread:

Search bar weirdness:

(01-14-2019, 08:47 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:
(01-13-2019, 07:17 PM)robkelk Wrote: Oh, and has anybody else had trouble using the search box to find categories, templates and files since the last upgrade?

It's not just the search box.  The pop-up hints no longer offer templates, categories or files, either.
(01-16-2019, 10:20 PM)robkelk Wrote:
(01-16-2019, 07:25 PM)robkelk Wrote: I just tried setting the project namespace to being a namespace that has content. Let's give it a bit of time to index, and check in a few hours whether we can search for All The Tropes pages.

Two hours later, and no joy. (And I won't have time to enter a Phabricator report until tomorrow night at the earliest - could somebody else file a trouble ticket, please?)

I'll repeat what I posted at some point in the last thread:  Anything outside of the Main namespace is no longer searchable.  And I was out of the house most of last night (and kept busy what little time I was home before crashing), so I had no time to submit the Phabricator report.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIII - Bob Schroeck - 01-20-2019

Just a heads-up for the other admins: We might want to keep an eye on new user 鍾顓如. Running his user page through Google Translate plus checking the link he put in it, he doesn't look like a spammer, at least not yet, but creating a Korean-language user name and user page on an English-language wiki sends up a red flag for me.

Edit to add: And then we have another case of one user creating another on January 18: (quoted because neither has a user page nor contributions to link to)
Quote:User account 顓如 (talk | contribs | block) was created by 몬스터-카드 (talk | contribs | block) ‎(Terms)
As I recall, the last time we saw something like this, we banned both accounts because we assumed something fishy was up, correct?

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIII - robkelk - 01-20-2019

Correct. Nobody needs two accounts on a wiki unless they're running a bot, and I see no reason for a non-admin to run a bot.

Thank you. Done.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIII - Labster - 01-20-2019

I was able to search into the `All The Tropes` namespace today (search: Serial Bowdlerizers), but I still couldn't type it into search suggestions and get results. Opened a ticket here: https://phabricator.miraheze.org/T4032

Oh good, I was just trying to do the same and learning that I apparently don't have a phabricator account. In between the 503s and 502s, that is.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIII - Black Aeronaut - 01-20-2019

I'm assuming you already know about this, but Miraheze is throwing me 503 Backend Errors while trying to get at stuff in ATT.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIII - robkelk - 01-20-2019

It's Sunday. We get a lot of 503s on Sunday.

Which probably means something. Is the Miraheze server farm under unusual load on Sundays?

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIII - robkelk - 01-21-2019

503s are back...

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIII - robkelk - 01-21-2019

And now the top-of-page links to the subpages aren't showing up. The "All Subpages" link is there, though.

More importantly, the Magic Words {{ROOTPAGENAME}}, {{BASEPAGENAME}}, and {{SUBPAGENAME}} are broken - they're all providing the result that the documentation says {{PAGENAME}} is supposed to give.

EDIT: Magic words appear to be fixed.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIII - Bob Schroeck - 01-23-2019

Looks like we got hit last night with an over-enthusiastic spambot setting up dummy accounts:
Quote:(User creation log); 08:26 . . User account ByronFoster (talk | contribs | block) was created ‎
(User creation log); 07:51 . . User account GlassZachary (talk | contribs | block) was created ‎
(User creation log); 07:48 . . User account RobertShapiro (talk | contribs | block) was created ‎
(User creation log); 07:28 . . User account JosephMazz (talk | contribs | block) was created ‎
(User creation log); 07:20 . . User account RonaldRansdell (talk | contribs | block) was created ‎
(User creation log); 07:16 . . User account DannyMcMurray (talk | contribs | block) was created ‎
(User creation log); 07:04 . . User account BruceStokes (talk | contribs | block) was created ‎
(User creation log); 07:03 . . User account ClydePreble (talk | contribs | block) was created ‎
(User creation log); 06:35 . . User account NaomiRagan (talk | contribs | block) was created ‎
(User creation log); 06:34 . . User account JeremyStpeter (talk | contribs | block) was created ‎
(User creation log); 06:30 . . User account ShaneAcevedo (talk | contribs | block) was created ‎
(User creation log); 06:23 . . User account JacobNash (talk | contribs | block) was created ‎
(User creation log); 06:07 . . User account JosephTatum (talk | contribs | block) was created ‎
(User creation log); 05:58 . . User account RussellSaldivar (talk | contribs | block) was created ‎
(User creation log); 05:42 . . User account MarionCombs (talk | contribs | block) was created ‎
(User creation log); 05:39 . . User account AlexanderKnight (talk | contribs | block) was created ‎
(User creation log); 05:32 . . User account ThomasCordes (talk | contribs | block) was created ‎
(User creation log); 05:31 . . User account LeonardSmith (talk | contribs | block) was created ‎
(User creation log); 05:08 . . User account StevenGrubb (talk | contribs | block) was created ‎
(User creation log); 04:53 . . User account LeonardAllen (talk | contribs | block) was created ‎
(User creation log); 04:38 . . User account PamelaFields (talk | contribs | block) was created ‎
(User creation log); 04:31 . . User account JohnColeman (talk | contribs | block) was created ‎
(User creation log); 04:08 . . User account ChristopherRainey (talk | contribs | block) was created ‎
(User creation log); 03:50 . . User account ShirleyBailey (talk | contribs | block) was created ‎
(User creation log); 03:48 . . User account PaulWashington (talk | contribs | block) was created ‎
(User creation log); 03:32 . . User account RichardMejia (talk | contribs | block) was created ‎
(User creation log); 03:12 . . User account JohnMiller23 (talk | contribs | block) was created ‎
(User creation log); 02:30 . . User account MarcosBolden (talk | contribs | block) was created ‎
(User creation log); 02:21 . . User account JonathanMarkel (talk | contribs | block) was created

I'm half-inclined to pre-emptively block all of these.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIII - robkelk - 01-23-2019

I see the searchbox on ATT still won't accept a search outside the Main namespace. However, the searchboxes on the freebie wiki and the There's Nothing Better wiki do allow searching for files or categories, so this isn't an issue everywhere on Miraheze.

(01-23-2019, 09:11 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Looks like we got hit last night with an over-enthusiastic spambot setting up dummy accounts:

(quote snipped)

I'm half-inclined to pre-emptively block all of these.

29 accounts in six hours (and five minutes) looks suspicious to me. We might want to ask the Stewards to do a Checkuser on all of them.

We have to make an individual request for each one, don't we?

I'm not sure. Can we ask "are these 29 userIDs the same person?"

That's pretty much what I did.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIII - Bob Schroeck - 01-24-2019

And Void nuked them all early this morning, my time.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIII - robkelk - 01-24-2019

I just put together another disambiguation page - everything listed is actually referred to by that abbreviation somewhere on ATT - except for the entry that links to a trope instead of a work, but that one's a Real Life use of the abbreviation.

I'm sure I missed something... but I don't know what.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIII - Dartz - 01-25-2019

"You are the owner of a user account on a Miraheze Wiki which had a certain setting enabled that allowed the administrators of said Wiki to retrieve and change the email address of your user account.
"

Huh...

I would've expected this to be a function of an administrator. Like if an email address is innaccesible or otherwise. There is some element of trust required in the operators of a system, after all.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIII - Bob Schroeck - 01-25-2019

What gave you that message? I've never seen that before.

Rob, why are you suddenly flagged as a bot?

EDIT: Why am I suddenly flagged as a bot?

EDIT 2: Why is everybody suddenly flagged as a bot?

EDIT 3: And why am I seeing new accounts described as "created automatically"?

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIII - robkelk - 01-25-2019

I don't see any more bots than usual:

Dai-Guard (talk | contribs | block)‏‎ (autopatrolled, bot, confirmed user, administrator) (Created on 8 November 2015 at 22:26)
Flow talk page manager (talk | contribs | block)‏‎ (bot, Structured Discussions bot) (Created on 23 February 2016 at 17:22)
Gethbot (talk | contribs | block)‏‎ (bot, administrator) (Created on 24 September 2015 at 11:32)
InternetArchiveBot (talk | contribs | block)‏‎ (bot) (Created on 1 September 2018 at 15:59)
Mechanical Boy Pino (talk | contribs | block)‏‎ (autopatrolled, bot, confirmed user) (Created on 4 March 2016 at 16:06)
MediaWiki message delivery (talk | contribs | block)‏‎ (bot) (Created on 19 December 2016 at 16:36)
New user message (talk | contribs | block)‏‎ (autopatrolled, bot, confirmed user) (Created on 26 September 2015 at 20:50)
WonderBot (talk | contribs | block)‏‎ (bot, administrator) (Created on 26 September 2015 at 20:50)

"created automatically" means the account was created on another Miraheze wiki and mirrored to ATT when the user was logged in and visited one of the wiki's pages. (For example, User Looney Toons was created automatically on the freebie wiki on 26 June 2017.) No worries there.

Okay, let me correct myself -- why are all my edits, your edits, most everyone's edits in fact marked as "bot edit" on Recent Changes and disappear when I filter out bot edits?

(The really weird thing is that I toggled my account's group membership in the bot group on and off, and my edits after that point were no longer flagged as being done by a bot. Something seems to have happened since about 3:30-4:00 PM EST, but I don't know what.)

And now it seems that somewhere around 8:15 PM EST whatever it was stopped or was undone. (Partially -- old edits which had been somehow reflagged as bot edits remain so, such that when I filter on human edits only the Recent Changes page now extends all the way back to the 19th with only 43 edits visible to me.)