Drunkard's Walk Forums
The Attack of the Martian Death Flu - Printable Version

+- Drunkard's Walk Forums (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums)
+-- Forum: General (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General Chatter (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: The Attack of the Martian Death Flu (/showthread.php?tid=13533)

Pages: 1 2

The Attack of the Martian Death Flu - Epsilon - 07-10-2019

So this has not been a fun six days. I came down with some horrible flew like symptoms on Friday, tried to power through on  liquid diet and hit showers/baths and this becomes nonviable Monday when I can't even keep liquid diet down. Head into the free clinic hoping for some pain relief and flu meds but they rush me to the hospital. The hospital does what it does until I start mentioning trouble breathing (always mention trouble  breathing to be skipped up the queue, this is not actually sound medical advice).

So flurry of blood tests later and I may or may not have pancreatic issues (bad), diabetes (worse) and they still can't figure why trying to eat solids causes my lower back to feel like a spike rammed into it. 

But things are under control and I feel better, if not well. Or I will once I get more than 15 minutes of solid sleep/

RE: The Attack of the Martian Death Flu - classicdrogn - 07-10-2019

Yikes. I hope you're doing better soon.

RE: The Attack of the Martian Death Flu - robkelk - 07-10-2019

Ouch...

Remainder taken to email.

RE: The Attack of the Martian Death Flu - Bob Schroeck - 07-10-2019

Geeze. Feel better, pronto.

RE: The Attack of the Martian Death Flu - Epsilon - 07-16-2019

To update I am alive but still in hospital. It hurts to lean forward and type so I'll keep this brief.

They expect a full recovery.

RE: The Attack of the Martian Death Flu - Labster - 07-16-2019

Please don't die, we'd miss you.

My mother just got out of the hospital for a broken hip. She too got a brand new diabetes diagnosis which is probably spurious as well. Just enjoy the extra needles while you are there, and see a normal doctor when you get out.

RE: The Attack of the Martian Death Flu - Bob Schroeck - 07-16-2019

Get well soon, Epsilon.

RE: The Attack of the Martian Death Flu - DHBirr - 07-17-2019

(07-16-2019, 06:27 PM)Epsilon Wrote: They expect a full recovery.

Yeef.  Did the doctors say anything more — that you can sum up quickly enough not to cause yourself further pain — about what produced the pain in the first place?

Whatever, my best wishes for your health.

RE: The Attack of the Martian Death Flu - Epsilon - 07-17-2019

They eliminated every cause they could think of. Apparently a lot of acute pancreatitis Just Happens.

RE: The Attack of the Martian Death Flu - robkelk - 08-03-2019

I just heard from a mutual friend of ours. Epsilon had a cardiac arrest.

He is recovering.

I'll keep folks posted, and will be visiting once I know I can get in to see him.

RE: The Attack of the Martian Death Flu - Star Ranger4 - 08-04-2019

!?!?!?!?!?! WHAT THE FRACK ROB?!?!?!?!?

RE: The Attack of the Martian Death Flu - SilverFang01 - 08-04-2019

May God watch over him and help him recover.

RE: The Attack of the Martian Death Flu - robkelk - 08-04-2019

I've been told a root cause, but it isn't my information to share.

From what I know, I think I'll wait and let Epsilon tell us in his own words what happened once he's well enough. But that won't happen today.

For now, all I'll say is that all signs show that he will recover.

RE: The Attack of the Martian Death Flu - Rajvik - 08-04-2019

and i suddenly find it a good thing i have been keeping my damn trap shut down in the politics thread. As much as i enjoy arguing with you bunch, i don't want to be the cause of something like this

RE: The Attack of the Martian Death Flu - Star Ranger4 - 08-05-2019

(08-04-2019, 09:17 AM)robkelk Wrote: I've been told a root cause, but it isn't my information to share.

From what I know, I think I'll wait and let Epsilon tell us in his own words what happened once he's well enough. But that won't happen today.

For now, all I'll say is that all signs show that he will recover.

CARP CARP CARP CARP CARP!!!!

Epsi, you really HAD better recover or I'm going to come up there!!!!

RE: The Attack of the Martian Death Flu - Bob Schroeck - 08-05-2019

Oh, jeeze. I'm glad he's recovering.

RE: The Attack of the Martian Death Flu - robkelk - 08-07-2019

What I had previously been told was... maybe a bit too optimistic. So even if it isn't my report to tell, I'm reporting it, to keep people from wondering why there hasn't been an update.

As far as I know, Epsilon has not been awake since his cardiac arrest. He was in hospital for pancreatic issues; that's pretty much confirmed as diabetes now. The immediate cause of the cardiac arrest appears to be failure of oral medication (for the pancreatic issues) to reach his stomach. He is also now on dialysis.

The outlook is still good, but I have no idea when he'll be well enough to wake up, let alone post here.

RE: The Attack of the Martian Death Flu - Bob Schroeck - 08-08-2019

Thanks, Rob. Please keep us up to date with what you learn that you can share.

RE: The Attack of the Martian Death Flu - robkelk - 08-10-2019

(08-05-2019, 03:29 AM)Star Ranger4 Wrote: CARP CARP CARP CARP CARP!!!!

Epsi, you really HAD better recover or I'm going to come up there!!!!

Looks like you might be coming up here.

He's taken a turn for the worst; the doctors say it's only a matter of time.

RE: The Attack of the Martian Death Flu - LynnInDenver - 08-10-2019

*stream of unintelligible Klingon swearing, Model-M keyboard melts*

RE: The Attack of the Martian Death Flu - Norgarth - 08-10-2019

The title of this thread is becoming increasingly unamusing. Sad

RE: The Attack of the Martian Death Flu - robkelk - 08-10-2019

He chose the title himself.

RE: The Attack of the Martian Death Flu - Norgarth - 08-10-2019

I know, which makes it somewhat ironic, but not at all amusing. *Sigh*

RE: The Attack of the Martian Death Flu - Dartz - 08-10-2019

My Uncle had something like that.

In his case it was because the Doctor told him he had diabetes and that he had to take medication for it - and of course, not to drink. He, of course, went and did the opposite until, one morning, he woke up on holiday feeling just a bit off, and steadily felt worse and worse during a long dribve. In the end, they drove to the nearest hospital rather than continuing home.

Turns out his pancreas went off like a grenade and he spend the next couple of months in an induced coma.

He's fine now. Utterly unable to drink at all, but this was ten years ago.

RE: The Attack of the Martian Death Flu - LynnInDenver - 08-10-2019

Yeah, we had a "declining health on account of not following diabetes protocols" example with a friend, he passed away early this year after back surgery that had to be done because he had to get a prosthetic leg and then tried to power through that it didn't fit well (basically, as far as I'm concerned, his unwillingness to go on the diabetic diet is what killed him).

Needless to say, that my numbers were just barely pre-diabetic when I got my bloodwork back in March caused a definite diet shift here for me and my husband; there's no more white sugar in the house, we look at the labels as much as we can (thankfully they're printing the added sugar percentages on things now, OMG you'd be amazed at how easily you can go over the limit with things like prebrewed tea), and other such things. I don't know if it was macking on candy bars the day I went in for that appointment (I had a case of nerves big time, hello hormone therapy!), but I'm hoping it keeps me out of the danger zone for a good long time making those changes, and I'm starting to think I don't want to return to eating like I used to. At minimum, I'd prefer not to pee my kidneys out and wind up on dialysis.