Drunkard's Walk Forums
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI - Printable Version

+- Drunkard's Walk Forums (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums)
+-- Forum: General (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General Chatter (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+---- Forum: All The Tropes Wiki Archive (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Thread: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI (/showthread.php?tid=13772)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI - robkelk - 06-24-2020

Miraheze is borked... Can't save edits due to loss of session data, can't logout and log back in to fix the loss of session data. ATT and the freebie wiki.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI - robkelk - 06-24-2020

Borkage appears to be cleared up.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI - Labster - 06-25-2020

(06-23-2020, 05:14 AM)GethN7 Wrote: I discovered a wonderful thing: Offline browsing of All The Tropes without setting up a local version of MediaWiki!

Courtesy of this:

https://www.kiwix.org/en/

I supervise one of the lead developers of Kiwix at our day job.  So I had a little bit to do with this happening.  It also means that if you notice bugs or incompatibilities, you can ask me.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI - robkelk - 06-26-2020

Goo Monster's idea - use this otherwise-empty maintenance category to identify broken images, not just broken image markup.

Re-upload 'em if you've got 'em...

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI - Bob Schroeck - 06-26-2020

Can someone please look at this edit and try to figure out just what the hell Kuma thinks he's adding to the page? Because it may just be my unfamiliarity with the story in question, but his edits (besides clearly demonstrating that he believes grammar is something only other people suffer from) don't make any sense to me.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI - robkelk - 06-27-2020

Do made for TV movies count as Film or Live-Action TV?

There's a note - not in a comment, out on the trope page for everyone to see - on Lonely at the Top about this, and I'd like to know that the example is in the correct section before I put the note into comment tags.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI - Bob Schroeck - 06-27-2020

We've generally been putting TV Movies under Film. And a quick check of the page's history shows that that note dates back to pre-fork TVT. I think we can safely move the entry without incurring the wrath of some anonymous troper.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI - robkelk - 06-28-2020

Thanks. Moved the example to Film, fixed the note, and put the note into comment tags.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI - robkelk - 06-28-2020

I wonder...

(Experiments with the "wppage=" parameter on this page)

Yay - it worked!

Now... should I keep linking to non-English Wikipedia pages? In this case, there wasn't an equivalent page on the English-language Wikipedia.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI - robkelk - 06-30-2020

Just checked Category:Images imported from TV Tropes without an identified license - we're under 40,000!

That means, IIRC, approximately 1/9 of the files that were in that category this time last year have been identified. We're getting there...

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI - robkelk - 07-01-2020

Just noticed something about page images.

If a page image is coded [[File:example.jpg|frame]], then it doesn't show up in a "related" template linking to the page from another page.

If a page image is coded [[File:example.jpg|thumb]], then it does show up in a "related" template linking to the page from another page.

Moral: If you put a "related" tag on a page, then go to the related page and make sure its image code says thumb, not frame.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI - robkelk - 07-02-2020

A question for our mod-team member in California: What if anything do we need to do in order to be CCPA compliant?

Asking because of this.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI - Labster - 07-03-2020

I was aware of CCPA when I wrote Miraheze’s privacy policy so we don’t have to do anything.

As usual the first few paragraphs of the El Reg article are hyperbole and only get to the meat later, but we don’t sell PII or any information, nor do we earn $25000000 in California.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI - GethN7 - 07-03-2020

After seeing this, I think our page on image uploads could use a visual aid demonstration on licensing images:

https://allthetropes.org/wiki/Topic:Vpcj88atgrbbysrp

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI - robkelk - 07-03-2020

Something to do in my "copious free time" - put together a tutorial...

It'll have to be on my vacation, since this sort of thing is what I do for a living and I can't run the risk of appearing to do this for somebody else during work time or with my work hw/sw. So, no sooner than Monday, and more likely after that.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI - robkelk - 07-03-2020

Bob, I begin to see why you aren't fond of seeing Jason taylor's name in the Recent History list. I've done emergency first aid on his new page, but it still needs some TLC that the two of us don't have time to give it right now...

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI - Bob Schroeck - 07-03-2020

Yeah. My first thought on that was, how can someone who's edited on the wiki for, what, more than a year? be so unaware of how we do things? From the TVT namespacing to the trope header on the page, it's like he pays no attention to anything that hasn't been shoved in his face.

I just had something similar though smaller with CunningStuntbag, who rather than correct the capitalization of a trope link on the Belgariad page, created a redirect instead. (Which of course violates the third item under "When Not to Make a Redirect" on our redirect guidelines page.) I mean, really? Create a redirect instead of edit the link? Sheesh.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI - robkelk - 07-05-2020

I just created a new category: From Wikimedia Commons. Please add this category to all files from Commons that we use.

This is useful for identifying files that don't need to have licenses identified - Commons already did that for us. (The lists on this page are now set to exclude files with Category:From Wikimedia Commons

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI - robkelk - 07-13-2020

Replying to an older post...

(04-21-2020, 11:41 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Welp, he replied.
Quote:I have just read your message, and I apologize for the legal issue I've caused with my uploads. You can delete my uploaded images for now
Translation:  I can't be bothered with actually picking a choice off a dropdown or typing a dozen characters into an edit box right now.

Right. We want the UploadWizard extension. (No, that isn't a question.)

We want this extension because we can set it up (assuming we have the necessary permissions - we might need to get a Steward or a Sysadmin to set it up for us) to require particular information is provided when uploading files -- and we've been having trouble getting people to provide the license terms or the source URLs of their uploads.

How do we get this? And how do we configure it?

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI - Bob Schroeck - 07-13-2020

Ask the Stewards. And hope it passes security review now.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI - robkelk - 07-13-2020

First step is to know how we want it configured - no point in asking and then saying "wait until we figure out what we want". I'll need to find the documentation and give it a read.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI - Labster - 07-16-2020

No security review needed, this is a WMF approved extension.

Although it uses ImageMagick so... :|

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI - Bob Schroeck - 07-17-2020

Okay, I'm confused. I thought it was because it needed a security review and no one had the time or expertise to do it that its implementation was rejected the last time we asked.

Maybe I'm thinking of some other extension, but damned if I can't recall what it might have been.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI - robkelk - 07-17-2020

(07-16-2020, 10:16 PM)Labster Wrote: No security review needed, this is a WMF approved extension.

Although it uses ImageMagick so... :|

Not just WMF approved, but used by WMF on Commons. I think it's stable. Smile

Are we not using ImageMagick to display thumbnails on the File: pages? The homepage for UploadWizard implied that was the case.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI - Bob Schroeck - 07-17-2020

Okay, then, someone go ask for it. Other than me, that is -- I feel like I have a less than stellar success rate at this kind of thing.