Drunkard's Walk Forums
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI - Printable Version

+- Drunkard's Walk Forums (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums)
+-- Forum: General (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General Chatter (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+---- Forum: All The Tropes Wiki Archive (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Thread: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI (/showthread.php?tid=13772)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI - GethN7 - 05-15-2020

I was recently approached by some tropers who have offered to host an "unofficial" Discord channel for our community. I was offered an invite to their community and it's well organized and has some reasonable rules I don't believe anyone here could find objectionable (basically be civil and don't cause trouble or drama).

I would be interested in providing them a link on our sidebar as a sponsored fan community for tropers, but I have requested they present the ATT community (and staff) a chance to check them out prior.

I will encourage them to especially say hello here and introduce themselves, if they so desire, because before I make any judgments, I'd like everyone else to get a chance to give their take first.

Note: One of their staff has already signed up to take me up on this offer, I'd like them to present more information.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI - Bob Schroeck - 05-15-2020

Would that happen to be someone who appears to be out of Korea using the email rocketmanexplorer at gmail? I just sent them the usual "tell me where you heard of us in 48 hours or I'll delete you as a spammer" email. If you vouch for them, though, I'll approve them right away.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI - GethN7 - 05-15-2020

(05-15-2020, 11:47 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Would that happen to be someone who appears to be out of Korea using the email rocketmanexplorer at gmail?  I just sent them the usual "tell me where you heard of us in 48 hours or I'll delete you as a spammer" email.  If you vouch for them, though, I'll approve them right away.

They go by the username "TheNothingness", that should be them if the email matches.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI - robkelk - 05-16-2020

I just put the "Needs Recap" tag on the Recap pages for all but the first episode of The Prisoner.

If anybody want to help write recaps here, feel free.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI - TheNothingness - 05-16-2020

Hello, everyone. I am TheNothingness, owner of the All The Tropes Discord server, which is currently unofficial but may be official in a little while, depending on the words of Lord Geth.  Smile

I did see Geth's post about providing more information, so feel free to ask me any questions you want.

Hello, and welcome!

I don't have any questions yet...

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI - SelfCloak - 05-16-2020

(05-16-2020, 02:02 PM)TheNothingness Wrote: Hello, everyone. I am TheNothingness, owner of the All The Tropes Discord server, which is currently unofficial but may be official in a little while, depending on the words of Lord Geth.  Smile

I did see Geth's post about providing more information, so feel free to ask me any questions you want.

You got an invite link? I'm interested in joining.

----

"500 Internal Server Error" when I try to submit edits. Goddamn it...

(05-16-2020, 06:04 PM)SelfCloak Wrote: "500 Internal Server Error" when I try to submit edits. Goddamn it...

I'm also getting "500" errors when I try to edit on ATT or the freebie wiki - but not on the private "There's Nothing Better" wiki.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI - Bob Schroeck - 05-16-2020

(05-16-2020, 02:02 PM)TheNothingness Wrote: Hello, everyone. I am TheNothingness, owner of the All The Tropes Discord server, which is currently unofficial but may be official in a little while, depending on the words of Lord Geth.  Smile

Welcome, and again, apologies for taking so long to activate your membership.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI - TheNothingness - 05-17-2020

@SelfCloak - Here's the invite.
https://discord.gg/TDDxRJP

Sorry, I don't quite know how to quote posts yet. Sad

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI - SelfCloak - 05-17-2020

(05-17-2020, 01:22 AM)TheNothingness Wrote: @SelfCloak - Here's the invite.
https://discord.gg/TDDxRJP

Sorry, I don't quite know how to quote posts yet. Sad

Click the "Quote" link on the message, it should do the trick.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI - TheNothingness - 05-17-2020

(05-17-2020, 05:47 AM)SelfCloak Wrote: Click the "Quote" link on the message, it should do the trick.

Alright, thanks for the help! Smile

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI - robkelk - 05-17-2020

(05-16-2020, 06:58 PM)robkelk Wrote:
(05-16-2020, 06:04 PM)SelfCloak Wrote: "500 Internal Server Error" when I try to submit edits. Goddamn it...

I'm also getting "500" errors when I try to edit on ATT or the freebie wiki - but not on the private "There's Nothing Better" wiki.

I see that ATT can be edited again.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI - Bob Schroeck - 05-17-2020

Hey folks. Just a heads-up -- we might want to watch new user FlashRebel for a while. There's just something about the way he's phrasing things that sets my political bias radar off. He also has a tendency to write massive run-on sentences.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI - robkelk - 05-17-2020

If by "new" you mean "has had an account for two years"... but, yeah, that edit to Stop Being Stereotypical could have landed us in trouble depending on how litigious "One Angry Gamer" is. Thanks for catching and fixing that.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI - GethN7 - 05-17-2020

(05-17-2020, 04:57 PM)robkelk Wrote: If by "new" you mean "has had an account for two years"... but, yeah, that edit to Stop Being Stereotypical could have landed us in trouble depending on how litigious "One Angry Gamer" is. Thanks for catching and fixing that.

Ironically, while I don't necessarily disagree with the sentiment, I would have been far less inflammatory.

OAG is definitely a bizarro world mirror of all the things it claims to disparage, but I'd merely stop at pointing that out, not proceed with outright ad hominem.

This one is pretty okay, but this guy really needs to lay off the invective and just state facts.

https://allthetropes.org/w/index.php?title=He_Who_Fights_Monsters&diff=prev&oldid=1779836

L
eft them a friendly warning to take a chill pill.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI - Bob Schroeck - 05-18-2020

Two years, huh? I should've checked. I guess there's a reason his edits come up as still needing patrolling. And I've tried to revise both those recent contributions into a more neutral tone, though I don't know how well I succeeded.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI - GethN7 - 05-18-2020

I'm planning to add links to the Discord I mentioned to ATT (potentially integrating into the front page as well if feasible), but I plan to belay that until I get a response from the community on the idea and to make sure the technical concerns can be addressed for the latter option.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI - Bob Schroeck - 05-18-2020

I have no problems with it. Just make it clear that ATT isn't running it nor is responsible for its content/traffic.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI - GethN7 - 05-18-2020

(05-18-2020, 03:39 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: I have no problems with it.  Just make it clear that ATT isn't running it nor is responsible for its content/traffic.

Plan to make that crystal clear. In fact, I'm going to leave any potential Discord integration on ATT Miraheze contingent on them not embarrassing us with any illegal stuff or drama that reflects badly on the official ATT (Wikia or Miraheze branch). Our endorsement of them as a fan community will be good faith based: They keep it well managed and don't make us look bad for giving them our approval, they get to keep our endorsement via Discord integration with our branch sites.

Sound good to you?

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI - robkelk - 05-18-2020

I just noticed - all those files I'm having trouble deleting (15 at current count) were uploaded at least twice, the first upload was always by "Maintenance script" with a comment "Importing file", and there's always no thumbnail for the first upload.

So there's something they all have in common.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI - Bob Schroeck - 05-20-2020

Just what is up with Carlb's obsession with UHF TV? It's like he compulsively has to insert the same 2kb of material into every page that even mentions it.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI - Bob Schroeck - 05-21-2020

Say, Rob, I just saw the edit you made to one of TBeholder's changes to insert the "https" protocol at the start of an off-site URL. I took a quick look, and I don't know how I've been missing this, but he's been doing that everywhere since at least February, even removing them from existing links. We're going to need to perform a serious intervention and cleanup.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI - robkelk - 05-21-2020

Agreed. I'm a lazy sort and would prefer to use the tools built into MediaWiki instead of doing things by hand whenever possible. Taking the "https" off of links breaks one of the tools.

I wouldn't call this a "ban on sight" offense, but now that it's been explained to him I would call it "refusing to learn from an honest mistake" if it happens again.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI - Bob Schroeck - 05-21-2020

Agreed. I'm going to carefully read all his edits from now on.