Drunkard's Walk Forums
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI - Printable Version

+- Drunkard's Walk Forums (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums)
+-- Forum: General (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General Chatter (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+---- Forum: All The Tropes Wiki Archive (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Thread: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI (/showthread.php?tid=13772)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI - robkelk - 05-21-2020

Project: Somebody -- preferably somebody who actually uses the "I got this from Wikipedia" license when uploading files -- needs to go through this list and make sure they all have the license information that is on the matching Wikipedia file pages.

Edit: And if our file pages don't point back to the Wikipedia file pages, those links need to be added, too.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI - robkelk - 05-21-2020

New template for our problem files: {{Undeletable file}}

And a new category to go along with it. I have not marked that category with the EXPECTUNUSEDCATEGORY magic word - we want it gone some time... but we need it for now.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI - GethN7 - 05-21-2020

(05-21-2020, 08:09 PM)robkelk Wrote: New template for our problem files: {{Undeletable file}}

And a new category to go along with it. I have not marked that category with the EXPECTUNUSEDCATEGORY magic word - we want it gone some time... but we need it for now.

For those undeletable files, that's something to flag our hosting providers about, they'll have to fry that on the backend, which only they have access to.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI - robkelk - 05-22-2020

(05-21-2020, 08:34 PM)GethN7 Wrote:
(05-21-2020, 08:09 PM)robkelk Wrote: New template for our problem files: {{Undeletable file}}

For those undeletable files, that's something to flag our hosting providers about, they'll have to fry that on the backend, which only they have access to.

Do we already have a Phabricator ticket open for this bug? (I thought for some reason that there was one, but I haven't had time to go look.)

Bob, I'm going to let you reply to this post before I reply.

You do the "we aren't TV Tropes" replies much better than I do.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI - GethN7 - 05-22-2020

By next Friday, the ATT Fan Discord integration will take place.

I will be using the Widget extension to implement it on the front page, the code for which can be seen here (need account to view)

https://www.mediawikiwidgets.org/Discord

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI - robkelk - 05-23-2020

Gotta tag 'em all...

The depressing thing is that, even with over 400 files from Pokémon taken off the "inherited from TVT without a license" list and added to the "fair use" list, that was still less than 1% of the files that we need to identify licenses for.

I could use some help with this particular project...

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI - robkelk - 05-23-2020

Does this page and its subpages need a DEFAULTSORT?

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI - robkelk - 05-24-2020

Just made a slight change to the "delete" template, which will never show up on live pages if people follow the guidelines and offer reasons why pages should be deleted.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI - Bob Schroeck - 05-24-2020

(05-23-2020, 02:46 PM)robkelk Wrote: Does this page and its subpages need a DEFAULTSORT?

Oooh, hard call.   I'd say no, because he treats it as all one word with incredible consistency.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI - robkelk - 05-24-2020

PAX redirects to ION, and has since before the fork.

I just moved ION to "Ion Television" and made ION a disambiguation page.

The "what links here" list for PAX doesn't seem to have anything to do with broadcasting.

We may as well turn PAX into a disambiguation page, too. Does anybody have any idea why PAX should reference ION?

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI - Bob Schroeck - 05-25-2020

You mean directly? As acronyms/TLAs? Other than the progression from Pax to i: Independent Television to Ion nothing comes to mind.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI - robkelk - 05-25-2020

That's more than I knew before I asked. Thanks, Bob.

Okay, I've taken this page as far as I can toward turning it into a category. Somebody familiar with the comic books in question is going to have to write works pages for them, so that the remaining examples can be moved to Awesome subpages.

(I've seen Firefly and Serenity, but I've never read any of the comics. My knowledge of Buffy comes from one or two partially-watched episodes, internet spoilers, and DW XIII. As for the other works on that page... what are these?)

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI - Bob Schroeck - 05-26-2020

Master Knight DH. Yeesh.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI - GethN7 - 05-26-2020

(05-26-2020, 03:37 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Master Knight DH.  Yeesh.

I'm familiar with them. They tend to get a bit obsessive over game balance tropes, knew them from Wikia, and they can be QUITE opinionated over the topic.

I told him to chill and be civil if he wants to continue to be a productive member, and I will be applying that to both sites.

On a different subject, this Discord experiment is working out nicely. Most of its members seem reasonable, they are averse to pointless drama, and they've proven willing to encourage discussion about our site mission in a courteous manner.

I still plan to wait until Friday before rolling out the formal implementation of their Discord channel, but I am quite pleased with our fan club.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI - GethN7 - 05-27-2020

Something occurred to me, I want opinions.

I believe it may be wise to write up a policy page for interaction with our Discord and it's relation to our ATT branches so there is no ambiguity later. I'll be setting up the technical stuff, but for those more skilled at writing policy, I was wondering if you believe this is wise, and if so, if you would be willing to draft a policy page for this.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI - robkelk - 05-27-2020

It's an unofficial Discord being run by somebody else. Do we have any right to set policy for them?

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI - GethN7 - 05-27-2020

(05-27-2020, 05:49 PM)robkelk Wrote: It's an unofficial Discord being run by somebody else. Do we have any right to set policy for them?

What I mean is a page clarifying what their exact relationship is to us and our official policy on their continued presence as a fan community in relation to ours. Figure it couldn't hurt to have it stated on our site they have no influence with us in any official capacity if only to prevent someone from trying to use it to wage a proxy battle against a mod or other users.

We'd also clarify in what terms they will remain associated with us and under what conditions we will sever that relationship, in a place that is public access everywhere.

That's what I had in mind.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI - Bob Schroeck - 05-28-2020

Yes, that sounds like a good idea. Are there any points other than those that we'd like to (or should) include in such a policy?

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI - TheNothingness - 05-28-2020

Quote:Yes, that sounds like a good idea. Are there any points other than those that we'd like to (or should) include in such a policy?

Felt like I could try making the policy (note: I am not an ATT staff member, so feel free to change this however you see fit)
  • The ATT Discord Server is a fan-run community. They are not affiliated with us and the Discord is not related to ATT themselves.
  • Do not use the Fan Server to fight your battles. This falls under Drama Importation and will result in an immediate suspension. If you have an issue with an All The Tropes administrator, do not bring the issue up in the server. You must use the appropriate platform to do so, be it Fandom or Miraheze. No exceptions.
  • Corollary: The Fan Server hosts some ATT Staff members. You are welcome to talk about stuff relating to ATT with them, but do not discuss punishments relating to All The Tropes. 
Good Uses of the Fan Server
  • Chatting with other Tropers.
  • Commemorating Lord Geth and Lord Labster, who have roles of their own as founders
  • Collaborating on creating Tropes (sort of like the Wiki Workshop).
  • Using the Forum subsection to hang out.
  • Anything that contributes constructively to the conversation, or to ATT as a whole.
Bad Uses of the Fan Server
  • Raiding, trolling, and obvious bad-faith violations
  • Using the fan server as a proxy to stir up issues on All The Tropes. You will be banned from the server if you attempt to do this.
  • Drama Importation. Do not discuss ATT blocks on the fan server, and do not ping ATT Staff Members. The tropers who run the fan server are not staff yet, but even if they were, ATT policy is to only debate blocks on the platform the user was blocked from.
  • Pinging any user a certain amount of times

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI - Bob Schroeck - 05-28-2020

Looks like a good set of rules. Guys? Anything we should add to that?

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI - robkelk - 05-28-2020

I didn't notice any glaring holes in the list.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI - GethN7 - 05-28-2020

I have, for testing purposes, enabled the Discord integration on both branches of ATT. Should be functional save for the side rail on Wikia, working on that.

Also, I like that rules list TheNothingness proposed myself.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI - Labster - 05-28-2020

Cool, everything looks good to me.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI - Bob Schroeck - 05-29-2020

Okay, then... if no one has anything to add to TheNothingness' proposed policy language, I move we make it official, at least on the Miraheze wiki (since I have no authority to speak of over on the Fandom wiki).

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI - GethN7 - 05-29-2020

(05-29-2020, 07:24 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Okay, then... if no one has anything to add to TheNothingness' proposed policy language, I move we make it official, at least on the Miraheze wiki (since I have no authority to speak of over on the Fandom wiki).

I operate on this policy: Wikia's branch is an extension of Miraheze, insofar as it's possible, so it will be the policy for both.