Drunkard's Walk Forums
COVID-19 Check-in Thread - Printable Version

+- Drunkard's Walk Forums (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums)
+-- Forum: General (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General Chatter (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+---- Forum: Archived COVID-19 Check-in Threads (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+---- Thread: COVID-19 Check-in Thread (/showthread.php?tid=13776)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

RE: COVID-19 Check-in Thread - DHBirr - 05-20-2020

Festung Birr still holds against the invader.  Last Thursday I went grocery shopping for the first time in a full four weeks.  Speaking as a retiree and a recluse ... this is my hour!

-----
No, it ISN'T what it is!

RE: COVID-19 Check-in Thread - Wolff - 05-20-2020

Still here.

RE: COVID-19 Check-in Thread - Cobalt Greywalker - 05-20-2020

It's been a week, so here's my weekly status post.  I'm still here.

RE: COVID-19 Check-in Thread - Star Ranger4 - 05-21-2020

Still here as well.

RE: COVID-19 Check-in Thread - Dragonflight - 05-21-2020

Still here. Still involuntarily retired (haven't been able to find a job in about seven years. The minute I hit my mid-forties, I became magically unemployable, apparently.)

RE: COVID-19 Check-in Thread - Norgarth - 05-21-2020

Went back to work this week. I am NOT used to being on my feet for the better part of 8hrs anymore.
My feet and legs are not happy with me ?

RE: COVID-19 Check-in Thread - Jenova_Silverstar - 05-21-2020

Check in time. No new news here.

RE: COVID-19 Check-in Thread - hazard - 05-21-2020

You'll get used to it again in a few months Norgarth.

Also, Dragonflight, being unemployable due to old age is a known thing. Even when old age is '40 year old or so'. You just get too expensive compared to somebody younger.

RE: COVID-19 Check-in Thread - Matrix Dragon - 05-22-2020

I live. Still on three day work weeks, but getting by.

RE: COVID-19 Check-in Thread - Labster - 05-25-2020

Haven't done a check-in for a while.  Still here, everyone still fine.  We're in stage 2 reopening here, which means people are starting to appear in restaurants and stores.  People from L.A. Country, still in a stage 1 outbreak, are flooding across the border to eat here, shop here, and enjoy our beaches.  Which is a bit of a quandry for me, because it means I don't feel comfortable picking up take-out from those restaurants now.  So far as I can tell, the only thing that really changed is that people got tired of waiting.

My antivaxxer friend who caught the virus?  (Or at least tested positive)  She was taking care of her grandmother at the time, and being "really careful".  The health officials disagreed, and ordered that the grandmother be put into a nursing home -- which is also super-dangerous, right?  She didn't want to do that to her grandmother, so she didn't.  A bunch of police showed up at her house -- or what they thought was her house.  Turns out she had been evicted the month before, and they had already moved out.  The police couldn't find them, they were on the run from the law, holed up in a rental in Ojai.  But they both survived.  A month later, she starts to complain to me about how the Social Security office cut off grandma's checks, and she didn't get a stimulus payment.  Why?  Turns out her relatives had reported her missing in the whole affair after the police couldn't locate her.  "She's not missing!  So dumb!"  And she can't even report herself not missing with the social security offices closed.

The moral of the story has nothing to do with politics.  All of these are rationalized choices by an individual.  People can convince themselves of anything.  Maybe, if you don't ignore reality, you can survive this thing.  But you might just get through it on dumb luck, too.

RE: COVID-19 Check-in Thread - Star Ranger4 - 05-26-2020

Yet, in a way I cant blame this woman... because right now nursing homes still have the highest infection and mortality rates. Shame abo0ut the money side of the situation though, but as you say, they did kind of bring it on themselves?

RE: COVID-19 Check-in Thread - NifT - 05-26-2020

Still around, checking in.

RE: COVID-19 Check-in Thread - Wolff - 05-26-2020

Still here.

RE: COVID-19 Check-in Thread - LynnInDenver - 05-26-2020

Still ticking over. Still minimizing time out of the house.

RE: COVID-19 Check-in Thread - robkelk - 05-26-2020

(05-26-2020, 09:59 AM)Star Ranger4 Wrote: Yet, in  a way I cant blame this woman...  because right now nursing homes still have the highest infection and mortality rates. Shame abo0ut the money side of the situation though, but as you say, they did kind of bring it on themselves?

I'll just leave this here. Do not follow the link if you're at all sensitive or squeamish. (EDIT: Now the links points to the thread I started on Politics.)

Oh, and I'm still alive.

RE: COVID-19 Check-in Thread - DHBirr - 05-26-2020

No change to status.

RE: COVID-19 Check-in Thread - Star Ranger4 - 05-27-2020

(05-26-2020, 05:06 PM)robkelk Wrote: I'll just leave this here. Do not follow the link if you're at all sensitive or squeamish. (EDIT: Now the links points to the thread I started on Politics.)

Oh, and I'm still alive.

Kind of proves my point; especially given that it happened in Canada, which seems to be just in general better about that stuff than we are.

So, if thats what happened in canada, what is happening HERE under the radar?

Brrrrr.......

RE: COVID-19 Check-in Thread - Dartz - 05-27-2020

Still working.

Wouldn't mind a few days off mind. Probably do the same thing I do every day - sit on me arse and screen-stare - but at least it'll be my own screen.

RE: COVID-19 Check-in Thread - Cobalt Greywalker - 05-27-2020

Weekly check-in post.  Still here, still working.

RE: COVID-19 Check-in Thread - Kilroy - 05-28-2020

Another week and I'm still here and okay.
Had a video conference to honor a coworker who is moving into a new position starting Monday, though they will still be in our department.
I have heard that the earliest I may be back in the office is 9/8/2020. That will make this period twenty-five weeks long with the eleventh week ending Friday.
Our Head of Engineering emailed that all of us should take a day off from work at least once a month and we should schedule vacations even if we don't go anywhere.

Kilroy

RE: COVID-19 Check-in Thread - ECSNorway - 05-28-2020

Submitted 31 model files to ADB for this months' release. I feel like my fingers are about to fall off.

But it's done.

And my parents are coming back from Florida to spend the summer here, which will be nice.

RE: COVID-19 Check-in Thread - hazard - 05-29-2020

That Head of Engineering is a smart man Kilroy. People need a break once in a while, and even if it's a week long vacation where you don't do anything, having the break is useful.

Of course, different people have different demands.

RE: COVID-19 Check-in Thread - Matrix Dragon - 05-29-2020

Another week done down here in Australia. Things are quiet, lockdown conditions are slowly being lifted, and I'm back to four days a week next week. Still a good amount of people keeping their distance from each other.

RE: COVID-19 Check-in Thread - Jenova_Silverstar - 05-29-2020

Checking in. Depressed because of the riots in Minneapolis.

RE: COVID-19 Check-in Thread - Dragonflight - 05-29-2020

Still here. While there's still infections in Ottawa, the worst in Ontario seems to be centralized in Toronto right now. The overall curve is declining, so that's a good thing.

Public Transport here has announced that starting June 15, wearing a mask is no longer optional. Picked up a good mask yesterday in anticipation of that.