Drunkard's Walk Forums
COVID-19 Check-In Thread Part III - Printable Version

+- Drunkard's Walk Forums (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums)
+-- Forum: General (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General Chatter (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+---- Forum: Archived COVID-19 Check-in Threads (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+---- Thread: COVID-19 Check-In Thread Part III (/showthread.php?tid=13982)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

COVID-19 Check-In Thread Part III - Bob Schroeck - 11-13-2020

We've passed the 300-post mark on the second Check-In thread, so here's number three.

RE: COVID-19 Check-In Thread Part III - Labster - 11-14-2020

Haven't checked in for a while, but I have been posting in the politics forum.  Everyone in the family has been healthy here, though we were briefly under the weather from the Santa Ana winds (cool version).

Locally the virus is getting a little worse, but no huge surge like earlier in the year.  People are still wearing masks, at least in west county. Nationally, it's a hundred forty thousand men and women every day, another hundred forty thousand coming everyday.  We can be like they are, come on baby, don't fear the reaper.

RE: COVID-19 Check-In Thread Part III - DHBirr - 11-14-2020

Nothing new to report.

RE: COVID-19 Check-In Thread Part III - robkelk - 11-14-2020

Still here, still alive, and (something to be thankful for) still working...

(11-14-2020, 04:56 AM)Labster Wrote: Nationally, it's a hundred forty thousand men and women every day, another hundred forty thousand coming everyday.

And we're entering panic mode and hearing talk about going back into lockdown because, in a population one-ninth yours, we're spiking at one thousand new cases a day nationwide. EDIT: Sorry, that 1000 a day is just for Ontario. Canada's closer to 5000 a day - still one third per capita what the USA has.

RE: COVID-19 Check-In Thread Part III - LynnInDenver - 11-14-2020

(11-14-2020, 09:52 AM)robkelk Wrote: Still here, still alive, and (something to be thankful for) still working...

(11-14-2020, 04:56 AM)Labster Wrote: Nationally, it's a hundred forty thousand men and women every day, another hundred forty thousand coming everyday.

And we're entering panic mode and hearing talk about going back into lockdown because, in a population one-ninth yours, we're spiking at one thousand new cases a day nationwide.

To be fair, the panic is completely understandable, given that it's potentially a week, or two, for that to go from 1,000 to 10,000.

RE: COVID-19 Check-In Thread Part III - Jenova_Silverstar - 11-14-2020

Hanging on here, though more of my co-workers are getting tested/self-quaranteening  because of the stupid risks/parties that they think they can go to.

RE: COVID-19 Check-In Thread Part III - hazard - 11-14-2020

You mean it's already going from 1 000 to 10 000, you just won't find out until something like 2 weeks from now.

Incubation periods are fun that way.

RE: COVID-19 Check-In Thread Part III - Wolff - 11-15-2020

Still here. Surgery tomorrow, so the next week is going to be a cloud of good drugs. Maybe that'll let me catch up on my sleep.

RE: COVID-19 Check-In Thread Part III - Bob Schroeck - 11-15-2020

Good luck with it, Wolff. Let us know all about the pretty colors and little animals when you come out of it. <grin>

RE: COVID-19 Check-In Thread Part III - LynnInDenver - 11-18-2020

Checking in. My husband's work is changing back over to complete work from home come Monday... because of the nature of his work, and when I get home versus when he's off the clock, my dedicated sewing room is now another casualty of COVID-19 so that I don't lose the range of what I can do at home because of having to keep out of where he's working.

The numbers are NOT even stabilizing here in Colorado, and we're likely going to be seeing actual lockdowns again by December.

RE: COVID-19 Check-In Thread Part III - Mamorien - 11-18-2020

Still alive, well, and of normal size. My new therapist is concentrating less on my anger issues than on the self-esteem issues that have been hiding behind them.

RE: COVID-19 Check-In Thread Part III - Wolff - 11-19-2020

Surgery went well. I've got lots of time now to ponder the things that I didn't consider before, like how difficult it is to maneuver crutches when the good drugs have terminally compromised my balance. That's okay, I've got a knee scooter coming in a couple days, so that will ease things some.

RE: COVID-19 Check-In Thread Part III - Bob Schroeck - 11-19-2020

Good to hear things went well, Wolff. Here's hoping for a fast recovery!

RE: COVID-19 Check-In Thread Part III - Star Ranger4 - 11-19-2020

(11-18-2020, 09:45 PM)Mamorien Wrote: Still alive, well, and of normal size. My new therapist is concentrating less on my anger issues than on the self-esteem issues that have been hiding behind them.

And its a good thing.  Always better to treat the cause than the symptoms.  Amazing how many concentrate on the visible.

RE: COVID-19 Check-In Thread Part III - Inquisitive Raven - 11-20-2020

Still alive.

Today's the day the Thanksgiving turkey arrives, at least in theory, so I need to clear out space in the fridge. The timing is partly because having it delivered later would have cost more, and partly because my mom is having her Thanksgiving dinner on Tuesday to accommodate my sister physically showing up at her place and we haven't figured out the Zoom timing yet. If we have the Zoom meeting on Tuesday, I'll want to dig into the turkey (which is pre-cooked) then and I need to give it time to thaw.

RE: COVID-19 Check-In Thread Part III - DeputyJones - 11-20-2020

Still here, and thankful a sore throat I had is going away and was nothing serious.

RE: COVID-19 Check-In Thread Part III - Bob Schroeck - 11-20-2020

Oh, and Peg and I have finally made our appointments for COVID-19 tests (even though it's been two weeks now that we've been back from Cape Cod and we show no symptoms). We're doing it mainly to reassure Peg's mom for Thanksgiving.

RE: COVID-19 Check-In Thread Part III - Cobalt Greywalker - 11-21-2020

SO I'm a bit late. I was fixing my personal PC, so I've been a bit distracted.  Hopefully I've done it now, so back to sort-of schedule.

(Crossed fingers, touches solid wood)

RE: COVID-19 Check-In Thread Part III - aku - 11-22-2020

Well, Vancouver goes to pieces ... (At least it feels like that when looking at the graph).

Myself, I am good. As in, went to covid test collection center this morning, had a test around 9:30am.
Results already in by 9:20pm, a nice negative (I registered at their website for getting it by SMS).
Just shy under 12 hours from testing to result.
A quarter of the time the collectors told me it could take (48 hours).

Now to keep this until my flight in Dec. And find a hole in the schedule to re-test much nearer to the flight.

RE: COVID-19 Check-In Thread Part III - firvulag - 11-22-2020

The head office of my employer is in Richmond BC, and it's going to be interesting to see how they respond to this, given they've been pushing hard to get everyone back into the office.

Here in Nova Scotia it looks like we're starting our second wave.  Provincial government announced a tightening of restrictions on gatherings and such on Friday, but we're not back in full lock-down yet.  But given the growing number of 'exposure' sites that have been announced, that may be coming soon.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/possible-covid-19-exposures-in-nova-scotia-1.5803594

Oh, and I'm still here.

RE: COVID-19 Check-In Thread Part III - ECSNorway - 11-22-2020

Current plan is for me to drive to Boston on Wednesday to spend Thanksgiving with my brother and family.

Starting to look like this may not be practical. NY doesn't care about travellers from MA, but MA wants a two-week quarantine, a negative COVID test, or $500/day.

And getting a test here is impossible to schedule in time.

Sigh.

RE: COVID-19 Check-In Thread Part III - classicdrogn - 11-22-2020

This area is currently blowing up anyway, ECSN, probably best to stay away.

RE: COVID-19 Check-In Thread Part III - Labster - 11-22-2020

Last night was the first night of curfew.  The next door neighbor's party only went a half-hour past curfew, I guess that's something.  Thanksgiving Day is still looming.  This is going to be a long, hard winter of disease and toiler paper rationing.

Oh, and if you don't have your influenza shot, go do that soon.  Nothing would suck worse than getting both diseases at the same time, you know?

RE: COVID-19 Check-In Thread Part III - Dragonflight - 11-22-2020

Still here, and trying to get the flu shot. Every time I register somewhere, they run out. It doesn't help that Doug Ford has been blaming the pharmacies for being so good at their jobs that the province can't keep them stocked up with flu shots. (idiot.)

Ottawa itself is doing okay, but Toronto and cities around it are going through the roof. Since Toronto is where the Ontario government lives, and where its spiritual home is, you'd think all of Ontario was going down in flaming wreckage because of this. They are facing full lockdown, or something very much like it soon, but I think we might avoid it this Christmas. It'll still be a weird holiday season of zoom calls and staying at home, regardless.

What worries me right this second is the looming American Thanksgiving. We had ours the first weekend in October. But with Americans celebrating next weekend, that brings up the ugly duck in the room - Black Friday.

Assuming the madness happens again, I fully expect Black Friday to really live up to its name this year, and kick off a superpsreader event like no one has seen yet. What worries me is that if the people put the mad need to spend money before health, America might well wind up celebrating Christmas with a plague event which looks like the Black Death Pt 2.

RE: COVID-19 Check-In Thread Part III - robkelk - 11-22-2020

(11-22-2020, 05:23 PM)Dragonflight Wrote: Still here, and trying to get the flu shot. Every time I register somewhere, they run out. It doesn't help that Doug Ford has been blaming the pharmacies for being so good at their jobs that the province can't keep them stocked up with flu shots. (idiot.)

Ottawa itself is doing okay, but Toronto and cities around it are going through the roof. Since Toronto is where the Ontario government lives, and where its spiritual home is, you'd think all of Ontario was going down in flaming wreckage because of this. They are facing full lockdown, or something very much like it soon, but I think we might avoid it this Christmas. It'll still be a weird holiday season of zoom calls and staying at home, regardless.

What worries me right this second is the looming American Thanksgiving. We had ours the first weekend in October. But with Americans celebrating next weekend, that brings up the ugly duck in the room - Black Friday.

Assuming the madness happens again, I fully expect Black Friday to really live up to its name this year, and kick off a superpsreader event like no one has seen yet. What worries me is that if the people put the mad need to spend money before health, America might well wind up celebrating Christmas with a plague event which looks like the Black Death Pt 2.

News reports are saying that Toronto stores have already started their Black Friday sales, because they know they won't be selling anything for a month starting tomorrow.

So if we get reports of a huge jump in cases in the area over the next couple of weeks, you'll know you were right.

Ottawa's okay, but we're a red zone because of Gatineau. Everywhere around Ottawa - all those lovely little places that tend to have Hallmark Christmas specials filmed in them - where I like going for a day trip or a grocery run for things I can't get in the city are in green zones. And we're supposed to avoid going from one colour zone to another if at all possible. So no mini-vacations or Scotch Eggs for me for a while.

Oh, yes: I'm still alive. I might or not be here. Smile