Drunkard's Walk Forums
In other news... - Printable Version

+- Drunkard's Walk Forums (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums)
+-- Forum: General (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Politics and Other Fun (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Thread: In other news... (/showthread.php?tid=14030)

In other news... - Bob Schroeck - 01-08-2021

So you may have heard, over the past week or so, of the woman who assaulted the 14-year-old son of a (Black) Grammy-award-winning musician in a New York hotel, accusing the boy of stealing her iPhone -- a phone which it turns out she left in an Uber car and which was returned to her fifteen minutes after she tackled the kid and injured him while trying to wrest his iPhone out of his hands.

You may have heard that she left the hotel before police arrived and subsequently returned to her home in California before she was identified as Miya Ponsetto of Piru, California.  You may have heard that Ms. Ponsetto has had a prior brush with the law, being drunk and disorderly in a different hotel.

What you may not have heard is that California police have arrested her on a fugitive warrant from New York.

Meanwhile, her attorney is begging everyone to have sympathy for poor little Miya.

EDIT: Save for the racial aspect of the assault this probably wouldn't be in politics. But hey, we needed a little distraction from everything else.

RE: In other news... - hazard - 01-08-2021

I have plenty of sympathy for poor little Miya.

She, knowingly or not, assaulted a 14 year old, injured him, accused him of crimes that would probably result in a years long prison sentence if not a years long criminal procedure, failed to identify herself and leave contact information so that the matter could be cleared up and then fled across state lines.

I have plenty of sympathy for poor little Miya.

After all, if I did the same I would expect to get tried in court for assaulting a 14 year old, his injuries, the loss of his good name by my spurious accusations, and my attempts to escape the law too. And I would be exceedingly disturbed if I wasn't. Because then either the police is incompetent, and cannot be relied upon, the police is lazy, and cannot be relied upon, or the police is corrupt, and cannot be relied upon.

RE: In other news... - Bob Schroeck - 01-08-2021

Oh, just to solidify her moral superiority, poor little Miya resisted arrest, by refusing to stop her car when ordered to by police, by refusing to exit her car when she did finally stop, and by trying to slam the car door on one of the deputies arresting her.

RE: In other news... - DHBirr - 01-08-2021

(01-08-2021, 11:09 AM)hazard Wrote: ...accused him of crimes that would probably result in a years long prison sentence if not a years long criminal procedure...

In today's USA?  You're an optimist.  The likelihood of a black teen being killed by NYC police after such a theft accusation MAY not be greater than the chance of a trial (which might even be a fair trial)... but I'd no longer be willing to put money on that.

-----
"Oh, my people had many gods. There was Conformity, and Authority, and Expense Account, and Opinion. And there was Status, whose symbols were many, and who rode in the great chariot Cadillac, which was almost a god itself. And there was Atombomb, the dread destroyer, who would some day come to end the world." — Lord Kalvan of Otherwhen, H. Beam Piper