Drunkard's Walk Forums
Ranma / Ah My Goddess! Crossover: Divine Patronage - Printable Version

+- Drunkard's Walk Forums (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums)
+-- Forum: General (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Other People's Fanfiction (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Ranma / Ah My Goddess! Crossover: Divine Patronage (/showthread.php?tid=14031)

Ranma / Ah My Goddess! Crossover: Divine Patronage - STMPD - 01-11-2021

At Bob's request, I'm putting up a separate thread for This brand spankin' new fanfic, so it doesn't clutter another thread.

Basically, Urd becomes Ranma's divine patron of sorts. She sends him on minor errands, meddles with his love life, etc. It's funny so far. At least the first two chapters are, the third is more basic setup of how the whole shtick is supposed to work plus Urd passing moral judgement on Ranma's inadvertent harem situation. She's got all the funny dialogue so far. I need to tweak that.

Things I'd like to do:
- Have Ranma call Hild 'Hot Mom Satan' or something like that
- Of course Hild actually puts that on her throne room’s door in a little brass plate
- Bounce Ranma off of a pubertastic Skuld newly obsessed with heavy weaponry
- Render Lind a psychotic hoo-rah drill sergeant, maybe make a full metal jacket reference or two
- But play Belldandy absolutely straight
- VALKYRIE HARDSUITS 
- Get Peorth in there somewhere
- Make Keiichi a minor god of Japanese Motorcycles
- Maybe have Sayoko kidnap him to build the Mishima Group the Best Motorcycles Ever No Seriously
-And then somehow her Mishima Group is the same as the Nuku Nuku Mishima group - or would it be funnier if they were two separate groups? 
- so of course Ranma meets Nuku Nuku and she falls in love with him because of course she does
- Somehow involve Sailor Moon and company, have Urd and Setsuna time-travel fight, which is actually a catfight in the time of the dinosaurs or something stupid like that
- Urd hooks up Ranma with a few lonely girls who may actually be said Senshi (Ami and Makoto?) and this makes his harem problems even worse
- Blow up the status quo of the Ranma gals
- Maybe have Mara give them all wishes to set them against each other
- Have Mara reveal her undying love for Urd - not sure how she’d react
- Elevate Kodachi to the status of Actual Romantic Competition
- Prove once and for all that Ukyo is Best Girl anyway
- Reveal that Kasumi is actually a Bodhisvatta from an adjacent pantheon with a bone to pick against Belldandy for 'imitation'
- Watch Nabiki goad Ranma into doing coke (but fail, this is a wholesome fanfiction)
- Enslave poor Mara to a progressively corrupted Nabiki's whims
- Basically make Nabiki the new goddess of Neoliberalism
- Bring back Skuld's little robo-gal because she was so cute
- Make Rally Vincent somehow Urd's bastard daughter (They’re both brown anime girls!) and have an entirely senseless and extremely short arc where Urd and Ranma interfere with the events of the Gunsmith Cats manga once I read more of it
- 'Bean Bandit - Him Drive Real Good'
- Confluence of the harem protagonists - Ranma and Keiichi meet Tenchi and re-enact the events of a stoner comedy or two
- Of course there has to be a D&D or video game episode
- And of course someone has to say the phrase ‘NOT ON MY CHRISTIAN MINECRAFT SERVER YOU SONOVABITCH’ completely seriously
- Get Skuld hooked on the prototypical internet, or 2chan, then turn her into an evil meme-spewing gremlin who makes Umaru-chan look wholesome by comparison
- Or, I dunno, have Skuld join Hokago Tea Time and turn it into a techno act because that’s all she listens to (it’s 1996)

Thoughts?

RE: Ranma / Ah My Goddess! Crossover: Divine Patronage - nocarename - 01-11-2021

Question: Do you want Keiichi to be the god of the whole motorcycle, or do you want to abstract it slightly in an odd direction and go for something like heat engines?
Possibly not heat engines, because that should already be taken, but still.

RE: Ranma / Ah My Goddess! Crossover: Divine Patronage - STMPD - 01-11-2021

(01-11-2021, 03:31 PM)nocarename Wrote: Question: Do you want Keiichi to be the god of the whole motorcycle, or do you want to abstract it slightly in an odd direction and go for something like heat engines?

I don't know enough about motorcycles to say, oh, he's the god of a specific type of two-stroke engine or whatever. No, he's just gonna get the whole motorcycle as his thingy.

RE: Ranma / Ah My Goddess! Crossover: Divine Patronage - itsune9tl - 01-11-2021

(01-11-2021, 03:34 PM)STMPD Wrote:
(01-11-2021, 03:31 PM)nocarename Wrote: Question: Do you want Keiichi to be the god of the whole motorcycle, or do you want to abstract it slightly in an odd direction and go for something like heat engines?

I don't know enough about motorcycles to say, oh, he's the god of a specific type of two-stroke engine or whatever. No, he's just gonna get the whole motorcycle as his thingy.

As long as you also add General maintenance and repair to his god portfolio. The Machinae still visit him from time to time, and they tend to pay in tools.

RE: Ranma / Ah My Goddess! Crossover: Divine Patronage - nocarename - 01-11-2021

(01-11-2021, 03:34 PM)STMPD Wrote: I don't know enough about motorcycles to say, oh, he's the god of a specific type of two-stroke engine or whatever. No, he's just gonna get the whole motorcycle as his thingy.

My first thought was actually something like particular sub-components, but the amount of ribbing that Keiichi'd get for being the god of pistons shut that one down.

For one thing, Urd doesn't need the ammo. Big Grin

RE: Ranma / Ah My Goddess! Crossover: Divine Patronage - itsune9tl - 01-11-2021

Actually, K1 is the God of High Performance Small Motor Vehicle Builds. If the Displacement of the motor is 1.5 litres or smaller he can Design and build a High performance vehicle with it to your Stated rules. This covers everything from 10cc pocket bikes, and powered luge-boards up to 2 person Mini's. He can assist with builds and do maintenance with larger engines.

With Belldandy in Corner, he drives like the Japanese version of the Stig.

RE: Ranma / Ah My Goddess! Crossover: Divine Patronage - STMPD - 01-12-2021

(01-11-2021, 10:24 PM)itsune9tl Wrote: Actually, K1 is the God of High Performance Small Motor Vehicle Builds.  If the Displacement of the motor is 1.5 litres or smaller he can Design and build a High performance vehicle with it to your Stated rules.  This covers everything from 10cc pocket bikes, and powered luge-boards up to 2 person Mini's. He can assist with builds and do maintenance with larger engines. 

...I honestly wanted to have him and Skuld build the Highway Star as a Bubblegum Crisis gag? Which is a pretty big rig? But that could work. Maybe once he explains that to Sayoko she finally snaps?

“I want you, O divine Craftsman, to build me the chariots of the gods - as affordable commercial vehicles, bending the very structure of matter to your will. I’ll harvest your secrets from that pipsqueak little brain of yours and build a factory of perfect assemblers! Soon, the Mishima Corporation will be praised for literally divine craftsmanship! We’ll become the Rolls-Royce of the mid-range market! Then, I’ll have you build tanks! Planes! Trains! Automotive masterpieces with machine brains that will take over not just Japan - not just Asia - but the whole world! All mine, mine, mine! OHOHOHOHOHOHOHOOOOOO - why are you laughing like that?”

“Lady, I’m the god of Japanese-engineered custom-built high performance small motor vehicles. I spend most of my time helping Yamaha engineers who died from Karoshi find peace before they ascend into the afterlife. Like, if you want your robot army to ride very high-performance mopeds, each custom-built from hand-milled parts, we could do that, but I think it would take some time, ‘cause you can’t really automate that kind of magic... I mean, if additive manufacturing were further along down here I’d be happy to help with that, but that’s gonna take some major processing power breakthroughs on the computer end, and I never did learn how to do circuitry at NIT. Huh, I mean Vespa made those pretty cool anti-tank mopeds for French paratroopers back in the fifties, but those were just carriers for recoilless rifles, you couldn’t really mount one on a mobile vehicle short of some serious - uh, Sayoko? You good?”

*High-pitched screaming*

(I’m not making the anti tank Vespa thing up, either. Saw it on Tumblr.)

Anyway! Next couple of chapters are gonna be Urd interviewing Ranma’s suitors one by one. I’m midway through the Shampoo conversation, and it’s weirdly heavy stuff. Let Shampoo not talk in Engrish but in her native dialect and the sort of ‘sexy stupid china girl’ thing drops away to reveal a very, very driven woman who can’t bring herself to kill the other girls she regards as sort-of friends, but wants to follow the law of the Amazons and get Ranma all the same. It was one of those things where I surprised myself at how much I felt like the character ought to be rendered in such-and-such a way.

After that - eh. We’ll see. I have a lot of detrius opinions about the Ranma cast floating around in my head from all that brain-rotting fanfiction. I think something interesting will come up.

RE: Ranma / Ah My Goddess! Crossover: Divine Patronage - robkelk - 01-12-2021

(01-12-2021, 12:47 AM)STMPD Wrote: ...I honestly wanted to have him and Skuld build the Highway Star as a Bubblegum Crisis gag? Which is a pretty big rig?

You're writing the story. If somebody gives you an idea that doesn't mesh with the story you're telling, then set the idea aside and use it in a different story.

If somebody tells you that you're writing characters out-of-character, then you should listen. If somebody tells you to add to the story something that they want to see but you think would wreck your story, then you should ignore it. Granted, this isn't at either of those extremes, but the principle is still sound.

RE: Ranma / Ah My Goddess! Crossover: Divine Patronage - itsune9tl - 01-12-2021

(01-12-2021, 12:47 AM)STMPD Wrote:
(01-11-2021, 10:24 PM)itsune9tl Wrote: Actually, K1 is the God of High Performance Small Motor Vehicle Builds.  If the Displacement of the motor is 1.5 litres or smaller he can Design and build a High performance vehicle with it to your Stated rules.  This covers everything from 10cc pocket bikes, and powered luge-boards up to 2 person Mini's. He can assist with builds and do maintenance with larger engines. 

...I honestly wanted to have him and Skuld build the Highway Star as a Bubblegum Crisis gag? Which is a pretty big rig? But that could work. Maybe once he explains that to Sayoko she finally snaps?

“I want you, O divine Craftsman, to build me the chariots of the gods - as affordable commercial vehicles, bending the very structure of matter to your will. I’ll harvest your secrets from that pipsqueak little brain of yours and build a factory of perfect assemblers! Soon, the Mishima Corporation will be praised for literally divine craftsmanship! We’ll become the Rolls-Royce of the mid-range market! Then, I’ll have you build tanks! Planes! Trains! Automotive masterpieces with machine brains that will take over not just Japan - not just Asia - but the whole world! All mine, mine, mine! OHOHOHOHOHOHOHOOOOOO - why are you laughing like that?”

“Lady, I’m the god of Japanese-engineered custom-built high performance small motor vehicles. I spend most of my time helping Yamaha engineers who died from Karoshi find peace before they ascend into the afterlife. Like, if you want your robot army to ride very high-performance mopeds, each custom-built from hand-milled parts, we could do that, but I think it would take some time, ‘cause you can’t really automate that kind of magic... I mean, if additive manufacturing were further along down here I’d be happy to help with that, but that’s gonna take some major processing power breakthroughs on the computer end, and I never did learn how to do circuitry at NIT. Huh, I mean Vespa made those pretty cool anti-tank mopeds for French paratroopers back in the fifties, but those were just carriers for recoilless rifles, you couldn’t really mount one on a mobile vehicle short of some serious - uh, Sayoko? You good?”

*High-pitched screaming*

Anyway! Next couple of chapters are gonna be Urd interviewing Ranma’s suitors one by one. I’m midway through the Shampoo conversation, and it’s weirdly heavy stuff. Let Shampoo not talk in Engrish but in her native dialect and the sort of ‘sexy stupid china girl’ thing drops away to reveal a very, very driven woman who can’t bring herself to kill the other girls she regards as sort-of friends, but wants to follow the law of the Amazons and get Ranma all the same. It was one of those things where I surprised myself at how much I felt like the character ought to be rendered in such-and-such a way.

After that - eh. We’ll see. I have a lot of detrius opinions about the Ranma cast floating around in my head from all that brain-rotting fanfiction. I think something interesting will come up.

The thing is K1 is capable of working with Skuld. Like I said he can assist with larger builds. A lot of things transfer over, Lighting, break lines, how to tweak suspensions, install a blower on an existing engine. But if you want a Large engine Supercar, he needs to call in his friend from the Motor club. and they tend to get insane on their builds.

RE: Ranma / Ah My Goddess! Crossover: Divine Patronage - STMPD - 01-14-2021

(01-12-2021, 02:11 PM)itsune9tl Wrote:
(01-12-2021, 12:47 AM)STMPD Wrote:

*High-pitched screaming*

The thing is K1 is capable of working with Skuld. Like I said he can assist with larger builds. A lot of things transfer over, Lighting, break lines, how to tweak suspensions, install a blower on an existing engine. But if you want a Large engine Supercar, he needs to call in his friend from the Motor club. and they tend to get insane on their builds.
Eh. I'd rather not drag Tamiya and Otaki into this yarn. They're slightly less annoying than Happosai, but not by much. Chihiro and Megumi and Sora, though? Sure. Sure. Sign em' up for the Divine Armories. See what Vulcan and his robo-dwarves can teach em'.

Also: New Chapter! Urd and Belldandy decide how to best 'help' Ranma, and a certain butchy demoness rears her at the end! Shorter than the other chapters, but you get some Belldandy in there, so that's always good. I scrapped the whole individual interviews thing and skipped ahead after a suggestion by some folks on SV and I'm glad I did so.

Also: spoiler alert, I'm gonna rope the Sailor Moon gals into this whole shebang in a chapter or two. Ranma goes on a blind date with Ami, yes - and then things get really wacky.

Update: New chapter out on SV, not AO3, because someone on SV pointed out I fucked up characterization of the Ranma girls so I did a quick rewrite and am waiting for informal approval. It'll be up soon enough. I think.

RE: Ranma / Ah My Goddess! Crossover: Divine Patronage - Labster - 01-14-2021

Quote:- Have Mara reveal her undying love for Urd - not sure how she’d react
Sounds like we're trying for a crack fic

Quote:- Watch Nabiki goad Ranma into doing coke (but fail, this is a wholesome fanfiction)
Hey not so literally!

Quote:- Prove once and for all that Ukyo is Best Girl anyway
Wait, this still needs to be proven?  Ucchan is great!

> Ty’rs
typo
> of course it was a convertible, Ranma thought.
I keep seeing the Akio Car in my mind here, especially given the rest of the crazy shit
> In the Greek sense, of course.”
"Wanna French?"
> Huitzchipotli
Huitzilopochtli.  OMG how many people will read that and immediately know it's misspelled; I went way too deep into Aztec stuff for my Aria crossover because I'm also insane.
> few quintillion Yggbucks
Inflation seems to be a problem in the Nine Worlds
> It was once said by great demigod philosopher Eribodi Wang-Chung To’ni’te
+the.  And I wish I had come up with this joke.
> ameuter
amateur
> she brushed her neutron-white hair
I have no idea what this means but I still like it?
> forbidden by shogun in 1745 after Incident Sizeable Narwhal
I assume that was almost as bad as the Spaghetti Incident or even a Helvetica Scenario?

I guess I'll read more chapters tomorrow.

robkelk Wrote:If somebody tells you that you're writing characters out-of-character, then you should listen.
This is soooo not how I'm writing Urd in my story but that's okay cause its funny.  Writing in-character is overrated anyway, right?  I'd say Urd's characterization is consistent enough it works regardless.

RE: Ranma / Ah My Goddess! Crossover: Divine Patronage - STMPD - 01-14-2021

(01-14-2021, 05:28 AM)Labster Wrote:
Quote:- Have Mara reveal her undying love for Urd - not sure how she’d react
Sounds like we're trying for a crack fic

Quote:- Watch Nabiki goad Ranma into doing coke (but fail, this is a wholesome fanfiction)
Hey not so literally!

Quote:- Prove once and for all that Ukyo is Best Girl anyway
Wait, this still needs to be proven?  Ucchan is great!

> Ty’rs
typo
> of course it was a convertible, Ranma thought.
I keep seeing the Akio Car in my mind here, especially given the rest of the crazy shit
> In the Greek sense, of course.”
"Wanna French?"
> Huitzchipotli
Huitzilopochtli.  OMG how many people will read that and immediately know it's misspelled; I went way too deep into Aztec stuff for my Aria crossover because I'm also insane.
> few quintillion Yggbucks
Inflation seems to be a problem in the Nine Worlds
> It was once said by great demigod philosopher Eribodi Wang-Chung To’ni’te
+the.  And I wish I had come up with this joke.
> ameuter
amateur
> she brushed her neutron-white hair
I have no idea what this means but I still like it?
> forbidden by shogun in 1745 after Incident Sizeable Narwhal
I assume that was almost as bad as the Spaghetti Incident or even a Helvetica Scenario?

I guess I'll read more chapters tomorrow.

robkelk Wrote:If somebody tells you that you're writing characters out-of-character, then you should listen.
This is soooo not how I'm writing Urd in my story but that's okay cause its funny.  Writing in-character is overrated anyway, right?  I'd say Urd's characterization is consistent enough it works regardless.

Thanks for the feedback, spelling and otherwise.

To your point about Ukyo, then about Urd. Go check out the thread for this puppy on SV and you'd be surprised how many people think that all of the Ranma girls are fundamentally after Ranma for somewhat selfish reasons, ie not appreciating Ranma for who he is or reasonably could be, but an idealized version of him. Ukyo, even, with her very domestic 'settle-down-and-start-a-family-with-my-childhood-bestie' dreams, which apparently Ranma wouldn't go for since he takes his dad's vision of the Wandering Kung Fu Murderhobo so seriously. So then folks say that pretty much any female lead in another more action-oriented show would be a better partner.

I'm not saying I agree with such sentiments. What I am saying is that Ukyo may be Best Girl in my heart, I agree with you there, but it hasn't been proven per se. So much fanon layered on top of the old work like fossilized sediment means anyone can have any opinion about any character. I'm not even sure I want Ukyo to 'win' necessarily, I just want her to be less of a doorstop than 'Shampoo but not insane' destined to hook up with Ryoga for sloppy seconds. Ryoga and Akane actually seems like a sensible pairing because they're so much less tsun-tsun with each other compared to Akane and Ranma. Although the inevitable discovery of the P-Chan secret might render that impossible.

Idea: Ryoga gets contracted with Peorth as the Rose Goddess decides to upstage Urd after some slight she perceives as unforgiveable.

Urd, then - what do you think of Urd? Curious to know how you write her. I think of her as sort of like a cross between Misato and Taiga Fujimura from F/SN. Maybe a little less hardcore than Misato when it comes to real action, not as easily slipping into Badass Combat Mode because she can afford to take combat less seriously, being a literal Goddess and whatnot. She's obviously super insecure about being the half-breed of the Norns - unable to really anchor herself in either world.

Update: I have an idea. I'm not sure if it's a good one but fuck it, that's what asking y'all is for.

So I've got this chapter draft, right. Urd has successfully snatched Ranma - now that I think about it, he goes along with this awfully easy, I kinda gloss over said extraction in the latest chapter - and they're in this penthouse. They've moved in, as it were. But Urd's not paying for the penthouse. Oh no. The one who actually owns these expensive digs in the heart of Tokyo is Peorth.

So Urd and Peorth have a super-powered catfight for a bit. It's all very funny, at least to me. Anyway, Peorth's pissed because it's her place and even if she's mostly residing in Asgard she's not gonna hand it over to Urd of all people. So after a bit of reconciliation - and Peorth meeting Ranma - she decides to make a bet with Urd, since both have so much fun being love goddesses. If Urd / Ranma win, they can keep staying there, if not they leave for someplace seedier. End of chapter so far.

What it comes down to is this: Peorth got a Goddess Hotline call from a girl who asks if she can go on a date with a 'decent human being'. Enter Ranma, the boy now made to fulfill that wish. That girl is Ami Mizuno. Who is still Sailor Mercury. The goddesses have no idea she is thus - and Ami has no real data on goddesses except they run hotlines and sound like unhinged Frenchwomen and threw her new date through her computer screen to make them meet. Ranma has to date Ami for a day or so and get a kiss on her lips by midnight or Peorth boots them all out. Spicy stuff.

So Ami grills Ranma for everything he's got on the divine. Contacts Luna, asks her to keep watch. And yet in spite of this, the date goes - okay. I want to think that Ami's drive to academically succeed is sort of like Ranma's drive to be the Greatest Kung-Fu Hobo Ever. That they could connect somehow. They agree to 'have fun and not dwell on the past' (Ami's Senshi identity, Ranma having multiple fiancees). Something like that.

Which is, of course, when the fiancees, all decked out in mahou shojou attire courtesy of Mara. Okay, so they were supposed to go and take out Urd, but none of the Ranma Liberation Front is going to take this new interloper lying down. And Ami, able to sense dark magic, isn't about to let a bunch of fakes ruin a perfectly nice date. Next Chapter.

Urd fights Mara. Ami and Ranma try to hold off the RLF until the other Senshi show up and wipe the floor with the fake-ass magical girls. Ranma gets to have a badass moment somewhere. Not sure where - maybe after Mara shuts off her magic current to the RLF, he's able to save them from dropping out of the sky? And Peorth and Lind show up after the slugfest to wonder what in the wide wide world of sports is going on here.

Lind sees these reincarnations of the Moon Kingdom - a realm that was 'deterraformed' by the gods during the Neolithic - as a threat out of time and space. Setsuna sees the gods as negligent and sinful, unable and unwilling to stop Metallia and the death of her friends, and the Outer Senshi listen to her more than they do Usagi. Urd decides to get Ranma and the rest out of there before the shooting starts... and then what? Globetrotting adventures? Crossovers with other mid-90's anime? Hell if I know, I just want to make sure that the chemistry between Ami and Ranma is remotely believable.

So. Uh. What do you guys think? Can this work?

RE: Ranma / Ah My Goddess! Crossover: Divine Patronage - itsune9tl - 01-14-2021

My Understanding of AMG!Urd is that she is the personification of the Back up Archives of Both the Yggdrasil, and Nihogg(sp?) This explains why she is Half Demon/half Goddess.
Urd functionally has Eidetic Memory of point of view from both sides of "Reality from Point of Creation," and there are Discrepancies between the two that she has to rationalize.

It's no wonder that she drinks.

RE: Ranma / Ah My Goddess! Crossover: Divine Patronage - Labster - 01-15-2021

AMG!Urd loves her sister almost to the point that Tomoyo Daidouji loves Sakura Kinomoto.  Belldandy is the reason she is not a demon; their relationship is why she continues to want to be a goddess and live up to her younger sister's example.  To see Urd complaining about her sister's happiness seems a little wrong.  Her self-pity will only take her so far, even when drunk.

Also she's in Japan, so the illegal drugs thing is kinda something that would be very off-limits for someone trying to be a goddess.  She'd get her drivers goddess license suspended.  I know she's Norse and the Scandinavian attitude is quite different, but she is still trying to be a paragon of happy goodness, even if Bell does it better.

I mean, the main thing I saw is that you crank up her personality to eleven, when Urd has good reasons to be more of a seven.

On Ranma's girls, I mean, you have to understand they all have hormones and Ranma is really good looking in both forms.  I guess I haven't read enough fic to ruin them all for me and I've read the manga but not seen most of the anime.  On Ami/Ranma, they're both good looking, and he studies martial arts as hard as she studies school.  I still can't help but feel like Rei/Ranma is the more natural match, but in the real world love matches aren't always what you'd expect.

Honestly I just wish you could tell me how you write at this speed because it takes me forever to do anything.  Honestly 500 words in a day would be a triumph for me.  Which is another way of saying there isn't much Urd to see yet... just one scene of note in the There's Nothing Better subforum -- search for "chugging" to get to the scene where she's flirting with my SI.  There are other references to Urd in that long story, but half of them are to Sakura's The Mirror card, who is currently impersonating chibi-Urd for Halloween.

RE: Ranma / Ah My Goddess! Crossover: Divine Patronage - STMPD - 01-15-2021

(01-15-2021, 12:58 AM)Labster Wrote: AMG!Urd loves her sister almost to the point that Tomoyo Daidouji loves Sakura Kinomoto.  Belldandy is the reason she is not a demon; their relationship is why she continues to want to be a goddess and live up to her younger sister's example.  To see Urd complaining about her sister's happiness seems a little wrong.  Her self-pity will only take her so far, even when drunk.

Also she's in Japan, so the illegal drugs thing is kinda something that would be very off-limits for someone trying to be a goddess.  She'd get her drivers goddess license suspended.  I know she's Norse and the Scandinavian attitude is quite different, but she is still trying to be a paragon of happy goodness, even if Bell does it better.

I mean, the main thing I saw is that you crank up her personality to eleven, when Urd has good reasons to be more of a seven.

On Ranma's girls, I mean, you have to understand they all have hormones and Ranma is really good looking in both forms.  I guess I haven't read enough fic to ruin them all for me and I've read the manga but not seen most of the anime.  On Ami/Ranma, they're both good looking, and he studies martial arts as hard as she studies school.  I still can't help but feel like Rei/Ranma is the more natural match, but in the real world love matches aren't always what you'd expect.

Honestly I just wish you could tell me how you write at this speed because it takes me forever to do anything.  Honestly 500 words in a day would be a triumph for me.  Which is another way of saying there isn't much Urd to see yet... just one scene of note in the There's Nothing Better subforum -- search for "chugging" to get to the scene where she's flirting with my SI.  There are other references to Urd in that long story, but half of them are to Sakura's The Mirror card, who is currently impersonating chibi-Urd for Halloween.
Yeah, I can see I may have given Urd somewhat contradictory motivations in the second chapter, but I thought it might be an interesting take on her despite me only being about halfway through the manga at the time. (Well, now I've gotten to the arc where Hagall shows up. End is in sight! Woo!)

The drugs were imbibed in China - a Taoist Immortal's magic shroom stash and whatnot - while Genma and son were fiddling around there. Before he'd gotten the idea to go to Jusenkyo, of course, but China's a big country, and I imagine Genma was able to fly pretty low while the CCP was going through upheaval. Not a lot of moralizing able to be done, she hadn't met Keiichi yet - she was just kinda fooling around, really.

So, yeah, I guess I kinda turned her wacky factor up a bit for most of these chapters and rendered Ranma the straight man to a degree. Since I don't think I can really nail melodrama without more setup I was - and still am - going for screwball cracktastic comedy over all else.

Yeah, as for the fiancees - whoo. You're probably not gonna like what I got them into in Chapter 5, then. Hanging out with Mara and whatnot. I'm still not sure how to make sure they all get a good shot at what they want despite Urd's poor decision-making capabilities and desire to play love goddess. It's like... a guy on SV wrote This and I can't help but agree with it, but at the same time I'm writing Kodachi as an unhinged bitch in the first part of chapter 5 because I just had so much fun having her write a continuous stream of self-aggrandizement and elaborate insults. Then there are people who say that all the fiancees want an idealized version of Ranma who isn't who he really is, and I thought well I'll try to aim for something like that and have Urd just shunt him away for awhile - but then there are people who feel the opposite way. Agh! I wish I could make up my mind and just admit I can't please everyone.

Oh, and I'm trying to triple-crossover Sailor Moon but most of what I know about it comes from the Shadowjack In Which I Watch. This may be a terrible idea. I got the impression that Rei was just a less violent flavor of tsundere, thought to myself maybe Ranma would hit it off better intially with someone less aggressive? So I'm willing to listen as to why you think Mars would work better, because you probably know better than I do.

The writing speed - eh. I have homework I haven't been doing, I've been cooped up in a single dorm for about a week as my campus goes through an initial quarantine phase before starting the quarter in earnest - I just have a lot of time to write this stuff. Even then, yeah, I'm amazed at my own output as well, but it's, I dunno, easier to write absolutely unhinged comedy without regard for proper canonical characterization or logic or techno-plausibility? I updated at a glacial pace with my BGC stuff, not because I could only write so many words per day, but more because I would continuously write myself into corners and have no idea how to continue the plot. Once I had a clear vision of an action scene or whatever, everything became easier. Not easy. Just easier.

New Chapter. I'm leaving who Ranma's gonna date up in the air, because, well - now I genuinely can't decide, and I just wanted to get the jokes out.

RE: Ranma / Ah My Goddess! Crossover: Divine Patronage - Labster - 01-18-2021

> Taoists ... way back in the Neolithic.
Causality.exe has had a segmentation fault.  Abort, Retry, Ignore?
> “Skanks,” Urd said. “Buncha crazy skanks.”
Skanks for the memories.
> from her halbred
Halberd.  Or halbard.  There are a few spellings but that's not one of them.
> She beeped the trunk
She what the what?
> aple bosom
ample.  Or this is Mara, maybe you want "sufficient" or just "flat".
> Slut-witch bad. Me good. Me help. We help. We hurt slut-witch bad with big punch. Many excite!
Very planning, many cunning, wow!
> Otherwise I’ll call in a Valkyrie blue-ops squad to skystrike your neighborhood.
Just be glad it isn't a pink-ops squad, if you know what I mean.
>  Kuno Clan Executive Decision Making Center OF WOE
> a long obsidian conference table
I feel like this scene will end with the sung words "... signed Bad Horse."
> than Vigilante's Run got in 3-ish years
You forgot to include a hyperlink there.  Don't forget to like and subscribe!
> She sipped her wine - wasn’t she underage anyway - and revealed
This is really a quibble but you really need the question mark there, which means you probably need to use the parentheses form rather than the dashes.  I think.  I have my job title set as "programmarian" on Slack but the "program" part is much more dominant.
> The slight smell of time on her dark skin.
He can smell that over the booze?
> “ Tabernac! ”
First: Tabarnac (or Tabarnak) (no 'e').  Second, is this because she's French Canadian, or because she's a goddess?
> A flaneur !
If you're gonna use the italics, you should use flâneur.

Honestly, the fiancees as the Evil League of Evil was pretty funny, and I did like it.  It even seems plausible in canon, provided that by then end of the next chapter or two of manga, everything would go back to normal.  I think it's more that in comparison to everyone else in Ranma, the harem seems no better or worse than anyone else.  It's not just the girls, Ranma is codependent too!  And he schemes and takes advantage of people too.  But the overall morality of the cast is very low, which is part of what makes it funny -- anything bad that happens to these people, they all kind of deserve it.

Shadowjack's interpretations are not bad, but not quite canon either.  Honestly all of the senshi are plausible pairings, at least as far as every one of them is a better person than the Ranma fiancees.  (Except the Amazoness Quartet, while they're still on the dark side.)  Rei's value is passion; she could match Ranma in force of personality and tell him when to calm down.  Would be a fiery relationship, but fun.  Ami seems a little too doormat-ish to be with Ranma, and I feel like the relationship could have nearly the same failure modes as with Akane -- people not speaking their true feelings causing problems.  But as I said, in terms of training/studying intensity, she matches him well, and of course the ability to summon water adds hilarity!  That last bit alone might be worth it.  Makoto is also a fine choice, since she's a little softer in personality than Rei, but also values strength and martial arts.  Minako seems like the biggest stretch, but she does like her boys cute.

It honestly comes down to what you want to do.  Opposites attract, but sames also attract.

RE: Ranma / Ah My Goddess! Crossover: Divine Patronage - hazard - 01-18-2021

Can I say that a quest laid down from authority to 'win a maiden's heart' sounds all sorts of skeevy to me? And that's at its most positive?

Because it really, really sounds skeevy to me for starters.

And while I'm not liking Urd much in this fic, I'm finding Peorth rapidly dropping into 'punch until she leaves' levels of appreciation. Actually, the entire AMG cast has, so far, been a little to mostly off their characterization and more bend and mangled to fit a Ranma storyline regardless of the consequences.

RE: Ranma / Ah My Goddess! Crossover: Divine Patronage - robkelk - 01-18-2021

(01-18-2021, 06:06 AM)Labster Wrote: > She beeped the trunk
She what the what?

She used the remote-entry fob to unlock the car's trunk. It beeps when one does that, ergo "beep the trunk". In the Maritimes, you're more likely to hear "pop the trunk" for the same action.

(01-18-2021, 06:06 AM)Labster Wrote: > aple bosom
ample.  Or this is Mara, maybe you want "sufficient" or just "flat".

They're only the size of apples? Smile

(01-18-2021, 06:06 AM)Labster Wrote: > “ Tabernac! ”
First: Tabarnac (or Tabarnak) (no 'e').  Second, is this because she's French Canadian, or because she's a goddess?

Ottawa-Gatineau area spelling is "tabernac". It used to be a very strong curse word here - you're essentially taking the entire Catholic Church in vain, in a culture that has a history of being strongly Catholic. As the influence of the Church has waned over recent decades, the severity of the cursing has also waned.

RE: Ranma / Ah My Goddess! Crossover: Divine Patronage - Labster - 01-19-2021

Maybe someone should tell Wiktionary about that alternate spelling? I did look it up first, but I did know the meaning.

hazard Wrote:Can I say that a quest laid down from authority to 'win a maiden's heart' sounds all sorts of skeevy to me? And that's at its most positive?
And that girl is Himemiya Anthy. Muhahaha!

... actually, that is the main plot of Utena, isn’t it? Damn, hard mode. Also skeevy.

EDIT because I just noticed it wasn't a sig lol:

(01-18-2021, 07:20 AM)hazard Wrote: And while I'm not liking Urd much in this fic, I'm finding Peorth rapidly dropping into 'punch until she leaves' levels of appreciation. Actually, the entire AMG cast has, so far, been a little to mostly off their characterization and more bend and mangled to fit a Ranma storyline regardless of the consequences.

I am convinced that Ranma crossed with anything else rapidly devolves into Ranma.  It is a law of nature.

RE: Ranma / Ah My Goddess! Crossover: Divine Patronage - robkelk - 01-19-2021

(01-19-2021, 12:37 AM)Labster Wrote: Maybe someone should tell Wiktionary about that alternate spelling? I did look it up first, but I did know the meaning.

The literal translation of "tabernac" is "tabernacle". I have no idea what "tabarnac" is supposed to be... unless it's an eggcorn of "tabernac".

RE: Ranma / Ah My Goddess! Crossover: Divine Patronage - classicdrogn - 01-20-2021

So this hit the top of my reading queue, and it's good fun. Then I ran into this line:

“Starts with an ‘N’, rhymes with ‘congress’. I’ll say that much.”

Waaat? Unless it's supposed to "negress" which doesn't rhyme that well and is at most only an insult by tone and intent, I'm quite sure I have no idea what is supposed to be implied here. Nodoka later thinks it rhymes with "express" so still as good or as poor a match as I can come up with...

RE: Ranma / Ah My Goddess! Crossover: Divine Patronage - STMPD - 07-02-2021

(01-20-2021, 07:58 AM)classicdrogn Wrote: So this hit the top of my reading queue, and it's good fun. Then I ran into this line:

Waaat? Unless it's supposed to "negress" which doesn't rhyme that well and is at most only an insult by tone and intent, I'm quite sure I have no idea what is supposed to be implied here. Nodoka later thinks it rhymes with "express" so still as good or as poor a match as I can come up with...

It was negress. I’m so sorry.

Anyway! Back after six months. I’ve got a good idea of how I want the rest of this initial story to play out, but not a whole lot of energy. We’ll see what happens over the next few weeks.

RE: Ranma / Ah My Goddess! Crossover: Divine Patronage - STMPD - 11-06-2021

(07-02-2021, 01:03 PM)STMPD Wrote:
(01-20-2021, 07:58 AM)classicdrogn Wrote: So this hit the top of my reading queue, and it's good fun. Then I ran into this line:

It was negress. I’m so sorry.

Anyway! Back after six months. I’ve got a good idea of how I want the rest of this initial story to play out, but not a whole lot of energy. We’ll see what happens over the next few weeks.
Yeah. I'm stuck. Could you tell?

I've got, at best, only the roughest blocking of how these scenes are supposed to go out in my head. Ranma and Makoto go to various, I dunno, things? And then they go back to Peorth's penthouse, or something, I guess that isn't especially mandatory, where the Ranma Liberation Front attacks. Makoto gets super pissed that these Goth Loli Magical Girls are showing up on her turf. Cue a simultaneous fight scene, Mako-chan and Ranma versus the RLF while Urd tries to balance channeling magic to Ranma while fending off attacks by Mara. The situation resolves, Ranma gets his kiss, and then hours later it turns out Keiichi's been kidnapped. Cue jump into Arc 2: Crimes of the Mishima Group Against Good Taste. All very sparse, all very problematic.

Hrm. Okay, so let's say maybe the penthouse fight is Mara versus Urd, while Mako-Ranma and the RLF square off elsewhere. Ueno Park at sunset, or someplace where there's enough water that Ranma's curse can be revealed. (That's key to the dynamic - both characters have these massive boiling secrets that they both fail to hide from their partner. Too cutesy? Not sure.) Urd beats Mara by 'giving her the D, that is, for Demon', but it's revealed that Hild rigged things that way so that Ranma finds out the one thing Urd wants no mortal to ever know, hoping that Ranma will ask to annul the contract and Urd will go along with it in shame. That he is okay with her is unexpected, even for Loli Mom Satan.

I need some meat between where I am now, and that sunset scene, though. Il Duce's is a gelato place themed after Mussolini, it's quite a funny little joke in my opinion, but the non-joke is that Ranma accidentally goes on autopilot and orders the kind of sundae he would only order as a girl. And he sure as shit isn't going to show this fairly cute but also presumably somewhat normal girl his dumbass curse, so he has to bluff his way out of that... but then what? Rule of three, and all that. Also the date needs to go well, or go badly but have a turnaround in the final act that makes Mako-chan decide she genuinely likes him enough to kiss him, not out of pity but out of nascent affectation. How to make these two open up to each other and find good things in each other? Shit, what even is there that's endearing about Ranma when he's in full-on macho-man mode?

The idea of having Ryoga pop in as an unintentional catalyst crossed my mind but I can't think of how to make that work, either. I need help.

RE: Ranma / Ah My Goddess! Crossover: Divine Patronage - STMPD - 12-29-2021

Big New Chapters.

Yeah, I got the Ranma x Makoto stuff worked out! Go me! Now it's fight scene time! A lot of Sufficient Velocity and AO3 people like the shipping dynamic, so let's see what you all think!