Drunkard's Walk Forums
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIX - Printable Version

+- Drunkard's Walk Forums (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums)
+-- Forum: General (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General Chatter (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+---- Forum: All The Tropes Wiki Archive (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Thread: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIX (/showthread.php?tid=14060)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIX - Bob Schroeck - 03-11-2021

You do that, Geth. Get well soon.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIX - robkelk - 03-11-2021

(03-11-2021, 06:52 PM)GethN7 Wrote: Ladies and gentlemen, I may be unavailable for a few days, getting over a stomach virus, and looking at a computer too much makes me ill, I'll be mostly out until I'm better.

If anything critical occurs, let me know, I'll chime in whenever I feel remotely decent, but otherwise, I'm gonna be out of touch until I feel better.

Take care of yourself, man. We'll muddle through without you somehow... I hope.

EDIT: And then I go and ping you for a Trope Workshop page... Just ignore that for now.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIX - robkelk - 03-12-2021

Refresh my memory, please; Was Gandalf ever described as wearing anything other that grey when he was called Gandalf the Gray, or white when he was called Gandalf the White?

Asking for a YKTTW.

Update on my current big project: 20,438 images still need licenses.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIX - Bob Schroeck - 03-12-2021

(03-12-2021, 08:53 AM)robkelk Wrote: Refresh my memory, please; Was Gandalf ever described as wearing anything other that grey when he was called Gandalf the Gray, or white when he was called Gandalf the White?

Asking for a YKTTW.

Checking what resources are handy to me right now, Gandalf was called "The Grey" (with an "e") because he always wore grey robes.  The color change was imposed during his resurrection by Eru, the single god behind the Valar and Maiar, and was intended to be indicative of his new role and position among the Wizards as their leader.  To the best of my personal knowledge he was never in anything but his white robes after that -- and the changes in his personality (he was less funny, less down-to-earth) make it unlikely he'd want to be.

Thanks, Bob. That makes eight examples on that trope candidate now.

I threw in a ninth.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIX - GethN7 - 03-12-2021

Status report, I'm slowly getting better, had the crap for a few days, and finally able to eat solid food in limited amounts again, expect to be in bed still for a few more days.

In the meantime, some rag wrote this hagiography on TV Tropes. Has some enlightening information, and I have to admit, dunks on the spaghetti code of Fast Eddie's PmWiki hacks in a very amusing way.

https://archive.md/jIBtV

I do contest a few of the things proposed as Fast as far as Fast Eddie is concerned, like the claims of his health going down the tubes hence why he sold to Drew (if this is true, I never heard of it and he never made that public to my knowledge), but it has some enlightening information even so.

Indeed it does, although it's clear that the article's author hasn't delved too deeply into the history between its founding and the buyout. I was surprised to find the Drew and Chris also own or are part-owners of Salon and Snopes... and for the day I finally snap and go postal, I'm glad I now know where to find Fighteer. <grin>

I suggest we link to this on the Analysis page for TVT, just for its info value.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIX - GethN7 - 03-13-2021

(03-12-2021, 06:08 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Indeed it does, although it's clear that the article's author hasn't delved too deeply into the history between its founding and the buyout.  I was surprised to find the Drew and Chris also own or are part-owners of Salon and Snopes...  and for the day I finally snap and go postal, I'm glad I now know where to find Fighteer.  <grin>

I suggest we link to this on the Analysis page for TVT, just for its info value.

Sounds like a good idea.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIX - Bob Schroeck - 03-13-2021

And done.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIX - robkelk - 03-13-2021

Another somebody to watch: Lex Vexia 009

Assuming the contributions aren't copied from TVT, they look good to me...

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIX - Bob Schroeck - 03-13-2021

Just checked their entire contribution history -- not hard, only five edits so far -- and nope, no TVT copy-paste. Real close on a couple tiny things, but the rest is mostly original material not even on TVT.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIX - GethN7 - 03-13-2021

Because apparently the fact we had a not very active subvoat on the now defunct Voat (and frankly it never drew too much traffic or interest), and that caused a lot of upset as I recall because Voat apparently attracted some scummy people who used it for some nasty purposes, I am asking in advance, whenever I get the time, ability, and interest to do so, if I can make a "guild" for ATT here:

https://ruqqus.com/

It's an open-source Reddit clone with values much like our own and was purposely designed so no one particular group of users can wield disproportionate powers over anyone else according to their design and founding documentation. From what I can see based on my own usage, they have a pretty wide range of political views, and if I did establish a "guild", it would BE strictly limited to matters pertaining to ATT only.

You need 250 reputation points to make one, so I'll need to post there for some time before I acquire those, but since I wanted to expand our social media reach, I felt it best to get prior approval before I did anything when the time comes.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIX - robkelk - 03-14-2021

I have no opinion on this either way.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIX - robkelk - 03-14-2021

<sigh>

Miraheze has gone bye-bye. What have you got left, Ray?

EDIT: No, wait - they're just very, very slow...
RE-EDIT: And they're gone again...
RE-RE-EDIT: No, wait - they're just very, very slow again... I'm switching to offline work for now.

RE-RE-RE-EDIT: Looks like they're back.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIX - Bob Schroeck - 03-14-2021

Re: ruqqus. No opinion here, either, but I reserve the right to acquire one. I used to not care at all about social media sites, but I've of late grown concerned about even accidental association of the wiki with neo-Nazis and insurrectionists.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIX - GethN7 - 03-14-2021

(03-14-2021, 02:05 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Re: ruqqus.  No opinion here, either, but I reserve the right to acquire one.  I used to not care at all about social media sites, but I've of late grown concerned about even accidental association of the wiki with neo-Nazis and insurrectionists.

More than fair. Hence why I asked.

I had a list of proposed rules for said guild, should it be established, just to make sure we don't have another Voat situation:

1. This is an unofficial fan community, it has no bearing, impact, or responsibility for All The Tropes on Wikia or Miraheze whatsoever, and is not representative of them in any official capacity.

2. This guild is for discussing tropes, their use in media, and the troping community in a civil manner. Politics and any other contentious topics are not be discussed (excepting any that have a directly provable impact on the troping community).

3. This guild has zero tolerance for anyone who posts anything illegal, abusive, discriminatory or otherwise is posted in bad faith.

UPDATE: I can now form a guild, would like a consensus before I do anything.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIX - robkelk - 03-15-2021

Looks like I'm locked out of the wiki at the moment.

Yes, I tried logging off, clearing my cookies, and legging back in. I'm logged out of ATT and the freebie wiki, but not the TNB private wiki. And ATT claims I'm centrally logged in, sending me into an infinite loop of page-reloads.

I'll give it a few minutes, then try the logout, clear cookies, and re-login bit again.

Bob, could you post this reply to Umbrie's latest message on my talk page, please?
Quote:Quoting from that wiki's About page:
{{quote|Likewise, this wiki is free documentation: the [https://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html text of the GNU Free Documentation License] provides that each NetHackWiki page gives everyone "the effective freedom to copy and redistribute it, with or without modifying it, either commercially or noncommercially."}}

So there's the license. We don't have a predefined license template for the GNU Free Documentation License, so use {{tl|Other free}} and provide the link after that template.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIX - robkelk - 03-15-2021

Never mind - I'm back in now, and I've made the reply.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIX - Bob Schroeck - 03-15-2021

I was briefly locked out myself circa 8 AM, but it cleared itself up after a few minutes.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIX - GethN7 - 03-15-2021

(03-14-2021, 02:09 PM)GethN7 Wrote:
(03-14-2021, 02:05 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Re: ruqqus.  No opinion here, either, but I reserve the right to acquire one.  I used to not care at all about social media sites, but I've of late grown concerned about even accidental association of the wiki with neo-Nazis and insurrectionists.

I had a list of proposed rules for said guild, should it be established, just to make sure we don't have another Voat situation:

1. This is an unofficial fan community, it has no bearing, impact, or responsibility for All The Tropes on Wikia or Miraheze whatsoever, and is not representative of them in any official capacity.

2. This guild is for discussing tropes, their use in media, and the troping community in a civil manner. Politics and any other contentious topics are not be discussed (excepting any that have a directly provable impact on the troping community).

3. This guild has zero tolerance for anyone who posts anything illegal, abusive, discriminatory or otherwise is posted in bad faith.

Added more proposed rules since I plan to take responsibility:

4. While this guild is managed and owned by a staff member of All The Tropes, this is done as a courtesy to the ATT community. No official business should be discussed here, such as ban appeals, though merely asking for advice on other things like page formatting or general questions about All The Tropes is perfectly acceptable.

5. Tropers from any and all websites that discuss troping, TV Tropes included, are perfectly welcome to discuss the same with us. We consider the troping community a family, and despite using different places to do so, all can discuss our shared interests here equally.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIX - LulzKiller - 03-15-2021

(03-15-2021, 01:08 PM)GethN7 Wrote:
(03-14-2021, 02:09 PM)GethN7 Wrote:

Added more proposed rules since I plan to take responsibility:

4. While this guild is managed and owned by a staff member of All The Tropes, this is done as a courtesy to the ATT community. No official business should be discussed here, such as ban appeals, though merely asking for advice on other things like page formatting or general questions about All The Tropes is perfectly acceptable.

5. Tropers from any and all websites that discuss troping, TV Tropes included, are perfectly welcome to discuss the same with us. We consider the troping community a family, and despite using different places to do so, all can discuss our shared interests here equally.

I joined the site, one thing to note is regardless of associations, many of these sites struggle financially and close at any point regardless.

I'll defer to whoever.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIX - Labster - 03-15-2021

I'm kind of a shrug as well. From which I am getting that there is not much interest among us in joining yet another social network, at least on a personal basis. Which means that if you want to manage it Geth, you can go ahead and do it. I doubt you'll get much help, but maybe some new people will join.

I don't think the thing with Voat ended up being harmful to us. So I'm not really worried about the implications of this site, whatever it turns out to be in the future. Unless it becomes Skynet, of course.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIX - GethN7 - 03-15-2021

(03-15-2021, 03:24 PM)Labster Wrote: I'm kind of a shrug as well. From which I am getting that there is not much interest among us in joining yet another social network, at least on a personal basis.  Which means that if you want to manage it Geth, you can go ahead and do it.  I doubt you'll get much help, but maybe some new people will join.

I don't think the thing with Voat ended up being harmful to us.  So I'm not really worried about the implications of this site, whatever it turns out to be in the future.  Unless it becomes Skynet, of course.

K, I'll set it up then.

And done:

https://ruqqus.com/+AllTheTropes

Note: Ruqqus operates a bit differently than Reddit, not letting mods just delete content at will unless it's blatantly illegal, and I already got hit by some driveby edgelord spamming obscenties. You can ban them from further posting, and you can lock down the guild in advance, but all existing garbage comments (posts can be yeeted by mods though) will remain.