Drunkard's Walk Forums
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIX - Printable Version

+- Drunkard's Walk Forums (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums)
+-- Forum: General (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General Chatter (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+---- Forum: All The Tropes Wiki Archive (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Thread: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIX (/showthread.php?tid=14060)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIX - robkelk - 03-22-2021

(03-22-2021, 05:22 PM)robkelk Wrote: And, of course, Raising Steam and The Shepherd's Crown are redlinks because we don't have those pages at all yet.

We do now - as workstubs. Neither page has any tropes, and The Shepherd's Crown has all of one sentence for a description.

And all the Discworld novel pages have the infobox now, as well. However, most of the infoboxes don't have central themes or elevator pitches listed - I was doing them bare-bones assembly-line style, and only adding the good stuff when I was absolutely certain what should be listed.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIX - Labster - 03-23-2021

Honestly I'm not a fan of the subpages either; it just ends up breaking a lot of assumptions about how other templates are supposed to work. I'm okay with each Harry Potter page being at the top level. I mean, [[A New Hope]] is at the top level too.

Do other people like the idea of the trying to write up a central theme? I don't think I got much feedback on that request. I suppose if it doesn't work, we can take it out later.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIX - robkelk - 03-23-2021

I did central themes for the Discworld books when I was sure what they were... but Pterry wrote such complex stories that sometimes it's difficult to discern the central theme. Or themes.

I'm inclined to leave the field in place, and let the Tropers decide whether to use it.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIX - Bob Schroeck - 03-23-2021

I added a theme to Gulliver's Travels once Rob was done whipping the template into shape.

Since you brought up the Star Wars films, am I the only one bothered by the use of just the post-colon titles for the work pages? I mean, I may be an old fogey, but I think of "A New Hope" as "Star Wars" and/or "Episode IV". Would calling the page "Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope" be that much of a problem? (If we do that, though, we may want to use Arabic numerals for the episode numbers so they sort properly.)

On a completely different topic, what do people think about moving All The Tropes:Quotes Looking for An Article out of the project namespace and into main? Goo Monster wants to edit it, but the current protections don't allow him to, and I realized that it should be open to users, not just staff.

(03-23-2021, 09:10 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: On a completely different topic, what do people think about moving All The Tropes:Quotes Looking for An Article out of the project namespace and into main?  Goo Monster wants to edit it, but the current protections don't allow him to, and I realized that it should be open to users, not just staff.

No complaints here.

(03-23-2021, 08:14 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: I added a theme to Gulliver's Travels once Rob was done whipping the template into shape.

Since you brought up the Star Wars films, am I the only one bothered by the use of just the post-colon titles for the work pages?  I mean, I may be an old fogey, but I think of "A New Hope" as "Star Wars" and/or "Episode IV".  Would calling the page "Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope" be that much of a problem?  (If we do that, though, we may want to use Arabic numerals for the episode numbers so they sort properly.)

We can use DEFAULTSORT for that: {{DEFAULTSORT|Star Wars Episode 04: A New Hope}}, {{DEFAULTSORT|Star Wars Episode 05: The Empire Strikes Back}}, and so on.

Good point. Regarding the larger question of renaming the pages?

My justification for using English-language names for anime and manga is that those are the names that English-speaking readers will look for the works under.

We should remain consistent. What names does Amazon use?

Lessee...  Just taking the first few results from a search...
  • Star Wars: A New Hope
  • Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
  • Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Meanwhile, Wikipedia uses
  • Star Wars (film)
  • Rogue One
  • Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIX - Bob Schroeck - 03-24-2021

Oh, joy. New user SmileyB -- whom I was going to recommend for autopatrolled/automoderated -- is getting recalcitrant about adding licenses to uploaded images, basically trying rules-lawyer his way around having to go through the effort of selecting one. I've already pinged the usual suspects on the thread but I wanted to put out a heads-up here just to make sure everyone was aware. Technically he should already have a tempban, but I gave him the benefit of the doubt on his last two uploads -- and now he's trying to argue why he doesn't have to follow the wiki rules on this.

(03-23-2021, 10:11 AM)robkelk Wrote:
(03-23-2021, 09:10 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: On a completely different topic, what do people think about moving All The Tropes:Quotes Looking for An Article out of the project namespace and into main?  Goo Monster wants to edit it, but the current protections don't allow him to, and I realized that it should be open to users, not just staff.

No complaints here.

If there are no objections from anyone else, I'll do this later today or tonight.

Thanks for chiming in on the Smiley issue but jeeze, his latest try at avoiding answering the question just pisses me off. He can spend the time to make two videos, but he can't type "I understand and will follow the rules"? You can't imagine how much I just reined in my temper when replying to him.

Dammit, the guy has made some damned fine contributions to the wiki. Why does he have to be an ass about this?

I'm raising the question right now of imposing a permanent ban instead of a tempban, on the grounds that he's heading deep into "disruptive element" territory with all due speed and obvious intent.

EDIT: I'm assuming he actually made the videos he's claimed to. I didn't click through on the suspicion that the links may just be schmuck bait.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIX - robkelk - 03-24-2021

We've told them "tempban", so we'd better start with a tempban.

However, this sort of behaviour is why I didn't remove "Repeating an action that previously warranted a tempban" from the permaban-without-warning list when I added it to the tempban-without-warning list. EDIT: And I just updated "All The Tropes:How We Do Bans Around Here" to say it's on both lists on purpose.

You're right, of course. Two weeks tempban it is if he can't type those seven words or their equivalent.

Is anyone else having problems saving edits? I'm getting persistent "loss of session data" messages.

EDIT: Never mind; cleared my cookies and relogged in, and resolved that issue.

In the mean time, I would really appreciate it if someone else replied to SmileyB's latest post on their talk page, because I am inclined at this point to be... undiplomatic.

(03-24-2021, 01:29 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: In the mean time, I would really appreciate it if someone else replied to SmileyB's latest post on their talk page, because I am inclined at this point to be... undiplomatic.

Done.

(03-24-2021, 05:22 PM)robkelk Wrote:
(03-24-2021, 01:29 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: In the mean time, I would really appreciate it if someone else replied to SmileyB's latest post on their talk page, because I am inclined at this point to be... undiplomatic.

Done.

He didn't take it very well. And that puts him in violation of Article 1 of the wiki's Terms of Service, in addition to having already been in violation of Article 2.

That's grounds for a tempban without a warning.

He now has a two-week vacation from editing the wiki.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIX - Labster - 03-24-2021

I guess I submitted my reply after he got banned.  I think I would have let it go on a little longer, but someone who uses that many exclamation marks is practically begging for a ban.

Dear god, that escalated quickly. I'm kind of glad I stepped back now. Thanks, everyone who got involved.

So... infoboxes.

We were working on those, remember? Smile

What do people want to see in "infobox trope"?

I'll start the list:
  • name
  • image caption
  • the work the image came from (needs a better name)
  • laconic description

What else?

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIX - Labster - 03-25-2021

Since I'm trying to "cancel" Sparta, and also because I'm not going for pithy jokes here, should we call that field "summary"?  Or maybe "gist"?  I don't want it to get too long, or people to decide it supersedes the description.
  • name
  • gist
  • image caption
  • image source
  • trope namer
  • trope codifier
  • supertrope
  • subtropes
  • related
  • contrast

I'm also tempted to add "genres" to that list, but not sure.  Most, but not all tropes, are more common in some genres of fiction.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIX - Bob Schroeck - 03-25-2021

Assuming that all images on trope pages come from works (which might not be safe, but let's roll with that for now), it might be clearer to call it "image source work", otherwise someone might put a URL in there.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIX - Bob Schroeck - 03-25-2021

Just a heads-up. I've just cleaned up a bunch of edits by a new user, InterestingPerson, which were kind of suspicious. How so? In the midst of eight or ten original video game examples on Nausea Fuel, there was a single entry that was word-for-word from TV Tropes. Another edit was a flat-out libelous jab at TVT's admins. And scattered through the changes made to four of the five pages he edited were examples so liberally sprinkled with nowiki markups that it couldn't have been an accident. The whole thing stinks of a test to see if anyone really does review every edit that appears in Recent Changes. I could almost believe this is a sockpuppet for SmileyB, except it's been existence much longer the recent problems with Smiley.

...and now I'm wondering if some of our new prolific contributors are all SmileyB...

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIX - robkelk - 03-26-2021

The works listed at Category:Literature of the 11th century, Category:Literature of the 14th century, Category:Literature of the 15th century, Category:Literature of the 16th century, and Category:Literature of the 17th century now all use the new "infobox book" template. The template might be bare-bones - I think I only specified one Central Theme - but it's present. Feel free to fill in the blanks.