Drunkard's Walk Forums
Seeking Culture Clash Fic Recommendations - Printable Version

+- Drunkard's Walk Forums (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums)
+-- Forum: General (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Other People's Fanfiction (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Seeking Culture Clash Fic Recommendations (/showthread.php?tid=14205)

Seeking Culture Clash Fic Recommendations - VincentUrsus - 09-08-2021

I have been reading Playing Catchup by EvilAuthor, as has been mentioned elsewhere in this forum.

I followed this by re-reading the Fenspace story Candle In The Dark, and Lost Kin by JustAGuy.

Does anyone have other recommendations for stories like these that show clashing societies, rather than just a single (or small group of) fish out of water?

RE: Seeking Culture Clash Fic Recommendations - Bob Schroeck - 09-08-2021

Well, somewhere out there is another Fenspace story called "The South is Rising (Someone Get a Hammer)", in which the continental United States of the Fenspace Earth is swapped out with that of Harry Turtledove's 161 timeline.

RE: Seeking Culture Clash Fic Recommendations - VincentUrsus - 09-14-2021

(09-08-2021, 07:50 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Well, somewhere out there is another Fenspace story called "The South is Rising (Someone Get a Hammer)", in which the continental United States of the Fenspace Earth is swapped out with that of Harry Turtledove's 161 timeline.

That is just the kind of thing I had in mind, thanks.

If anyone else is is interested, here are links to the first, and second threads.

RE: Seeking Culture Clash Fic Recommendations - Bob Schroeck - 09-14-2021

I don't know if these links will work for you, VU, but if they do, you'll be able to see where "The South is Rising (Someone Get a Hammer)" left off when it was kind of forgotten about...

South Is Rising v. 3.0 - and this time let's finish the bastard!

South Is Rising Scratchpad -- includes ideas only barely alluded to in the main file, and entire scenes not yet moved there.

RE: Seeking Culture Clash Fic Recommendations - VincentUrsus - 09-14-2021

(09-14-2021, 08:19 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: I don't know if these links will work for you, VU, but if they do, you'll be able to see where "The South is Rising (Someone Get a Hammer)" left off when it was kind of forgotten about...

South Is Rising v. 3.0 - and this time let's finish the bastard!

South Is Rising Scratchpad -- includes ideas only barely alluded to in the main file, and entire scenes not yet moved there.

I have read access to the v. 3.0 document, but not to the Scratchpad.

Ah. I missed that it was restricted to the original writing group. I just changed it to "anyone with the link" -- I doubt that after ten years anyone else on the writing team would object -- so try it now.

RE: Seeking Culture Clash Fic Recommendations - robkelk - 09-14-2021

We really should copy those to the FenWiki - as a "belt and suspenders" backup, if nothing else.

Not a bad idea, that. Those and I think there are a couple other docs worth archiving.

RE: Seeking Culture Clash Fic Recommendations - VincentUrsus - 09-20-2021

(09-14-2021, 12:43 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Ah.  I missed that it was restricted to the original writing group.  I just changed it to "anyone with the link" -- I doubt that after ten years anyone else on the writing team would object -- so try it now.

Success, thanks.

RE: Seeking Culture Clash Fic Recommendations - Bob Schroeck - 09-20-2021

And here's an earlier version of TSIR with material that's not in the 3.0 files.

RE: Seeking Culture Clash Fic Recommendations - VincentUrsus - 09-22-2021

Is the Infinity content original to this variant, or are there other stories of the iScout in Fenspace?

I enjoy the Infinity setting, John M. Ford was taken from us too soon.

RE: Seeking Culture Clash Fic Recommendations - Bob Schroeck - 09-22-2021

I believe it's common to all varieties of Fenspace. The Fenwiki has a page with an Infinite Worlds-style writeup for Fenspace (as Gernsback-2) which is unaffiliated with any of the alternate timelines.

RE: Seeking Culture Clash Fic Recommendations - Bob Schroeck - 09-22-2021

Oh, and the references to previous visitors? That's another story which is canon to the main Fenspace timeline, an incomplete one by Rob Kelk called Legend of Galactic Girls. Which might appeal to you as well.

RE: Seeking Culture Clash Fic Recommendations - robkelk - 09-22-2021

(09-22-2021, 07:40 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Oh, and the references to previous visitors?  That's another story which is canon to the main Fenspace timeline, an incomplete one by Rob Kelk called Legend of Galactic Girls.  Which might appeal to you as well.

And which I really should finish off, one of these years.