Drunkard's Walk Forums
[Fun] The Douglass Gardens Sessions - Printable Version

+- Drunkard's Walk Forums (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums)
+-- Forum: General (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: My Apartment Manager is not an Isekai Character (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+---- Forum: The Attic (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=40)
+---- Thread: [Fun] The Douglass Gardens Sessions (/showthread.php?tid=14213)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

[Fun] The Douglass Gardens Sessions - robkelk - 09-08-2021

(04-14-2021, 06:42 PM)In the images thread, robkelk Wrote: The cover of her first solo album, before the titles are applied?

[Image: __nakano_azusa_k_on_drawn_by_aaaa_quad_a...f405ea.png]

Shrunk to 2/5 size

Source

I showed this one to a DJ friend of mine, he mentioned which album it reminded him of, and I did a mockup...

RE: [OOC][Fun] Image thread? Image thread. - Black Aeronaut - 09-08-2021

*Stamps "APPROVED" on Rob's post.*

FUND IT.

RE: [OOC][Fun] Image thread? Image thread. - Bob Schroeck - 09-08-2021

Produced by Nao Okuda, who I think probably insisted on writing at least some lyrics for it, as well.

RE: [OOC][Fun] Image thread? Image thread. - robkelk - 09-08-2021

Okay, fine, it's on the wiki now. Smile (With more attributions than what I've given here.)

Having no better page to add it to (yet), I've dropped it onto Azusa's character page for the nonce.

EDIT: Of course you realize that this has to be album #6 in a series, with the first album featuring all five of HTT on the cover, and albums 2-5 featuring Ritsu, Mio, Mugi, and Yui in that order. Smile

RE: [OOC][Fun] Image thread? Image thread. - Bob Schroeck - 09-08-2021

But of course. Given how many tracks that would be, even if they're EPs, that pretty much guarantees Nao wrote some of the songs.

RE: [OOC][Fun] Image thread? Image thread. - Black Aeronaut - 09-09-2021

And now I'm imagining someone gently teasing the girls of HTT with "Gotta catch 'em all" jokes. Big Grin

RE: [OOC][Fun] Image thread? Image thread. - Bob Schroeck - 09-09-2021

"Yui! I choose you! For lead vocals on this track!"

RE: [OOC][Fun] Image thread? Image thread. - robkelk - 09-09-2021

(09-08-2021, 08:37 PM)robkelk Wrote: Okay, fine, it's on the wiki now. Smile  (With more attributions than what I've given here.)

Having no better page to add it to (yet), I've dropped it onto Azusa's character page for the nonce.

EDIT: Of course you realize that this has to be album #6 in a series, with the first album featuring all five of HTT on the cover, and albums 2-5 featuring Ritsu, Mio, Mugi, and Yui in that order. Smile

Extending the digression...

I think I've found the cover art for the first album. Despite the fact that four of them are wearing outfits we've seen before, the fifth is in something new to her, so don't say "lazy" to the costuming department. Source and full-size image - this one's reduced to one-tenth size.

[Image: __akiyama_mio_nakano_azusa_hirasawa_yui_...69eb42.jpg]

RE: [OOC][Fun] Image thread? Image thread. - Bob Schroeck - 09-09-2021

Oh, I've seen the live-action version of this... when the voice actresses did an appearance "in character" in 2019, Azusa's seiyuu -- I forget her name right now -- was wearing that outfit.

RE: [OOC][Fun] Image thread? Image thread. - robkelk - 09-21-2021

(09-08-2021, 08:37 PM)robkelk Wrote: Okay, fine, it's on the wiki now. Smile  (With more attributions than what I've given here.)

Along these lines: I suggested this for the Halloween Party, but the K-On! girls didn't show up. So...

"Oh, I couldn't possibly..."

Ritsu interrupted her ex-teacher. "No, Sawa-chan-sensei, we're not letting you get away with not releasing an EP too. We have a pre-order for the complete set from Saten-san in Ottawa."

"But I don't remember any of Death Devil's songs."

"We heard you sing 'Love' perfectly without a warm-up at your bandmate's wedding reception," countered Mugi.

"And I've written some new songs for you," added Nao.

"Neither Hokago Teatime or Wakaba Girls plays metal."

"I think 'Don't Say "Lazy"' is pretty close," Mio commented.

Akira grinned. "And OnNaGumi can give it a try. Or we could recruit the Hong Kong Cavaliers - they can play anything."

Sawako started grasping at straws. "I don't have anything to wear for the cover photo!"

Everyone in attendance looked at the complex's resident cosplayers. Reiko held up a feminime version of one of Yngwie Malmsteen's stage outfits. "If you don't mind crossplaying, I have something ready for you to wear now."

"Fine. I know when I've lost."

[Image: __akiyama_mio_hirasawa_yui_tainaka_ritsu...f5904d.png]

EDIT: This thing has taken on a life of its own. Bob or BA, could you move posts 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 57, 58, and 60 into a new thread, please? Maybe call it "[OOC] The Douglass Gardens Sessions"

[OOC] The Douglass Gardens Sessions - Bob Schroeck - 09-22-2021

Quote:Bob or BA, could you move posts 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 57, 58, and 60 into a new thread, please? Maybe call it "[OOC] The Douglass Gardens Sessions"

And done.

RE: [OOC] The Douglass Gardens Sessions - robkelk - 09-22-2021

Thanks, Bob.

I had some fun with this on the wiki - nothing ready to share with the world yet, but enough to share with other writers and prereaders.

RE: [OOC] The Douglass Gardens Sessions - Bob Schroeck - 09-22-2021

...they actually persuaded Nodoka to let them record her? Wow.

We need to add the special full-length LP HTT^2, Live at the Roadhouse when the girls and the seiyuu mix it up together on the stage as part of What Did You Do, Yui?

EDIT: You know these are going to spread through the seiyuu community, too...

EDIT: Get Ritsu into Phil Collins and Rush, and if she can't sing while drumming, multitrack her.

It took them 15 months to convince Nodoka. Smile Or 16 if we slot in "Live at the Roadhouse".

Yeah, if Ui can multitrack, so can Ritsu.

So, what sort of Record Producer is Nao?

She hasn't been with them long enough to be a "George Martin". She gets along with Wakaba Girls too well to be an Acrimony Producer, and the girls get along well enough that they don't need a Man in the Middle. She's sufficiently sane that she isn't a Producer From Hell. She doesn't play or sing, so she isn't a DIY Producer or Artist as Producer.

She could be an Invisible Producer - she does have wallflower tendencies.

Nao definitely knows Wakaba Girls well enough to be a Helping Hand Producer, considering her songwriting skills.

There isn't enough information to tell whether she's a One-Trick Pony.

Any ideas?

(09-22-2021, 08:46 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: We need to add the special full-length LP HTT^2, Live at the Roadhouse when the girls and the seiyuu mix it up together on the stage as part of What Did You Do, Yui?

What's the tracklist for HTT²?

Gotta have "Fuwa Fuwa Time" - it's their signature song. Either open or close with it.

If they ask for input from other residences, Rob will mention he likes "Fude Pen Bōru Pen" ("Brush Pen, Ballpoint Pen") and "U & I".

But three songs does not a concert make.

Thoughts?

(09-22-2021, 11:45 AM)robkelk Wrote: So, what sort of Record Producer is Nao?

She hasn't been with them long enough to be a  "George Martin". She gets along with Wakaba Girls too well to be an Acrimony Producer, and the girls get along well enough that they don't need a Man in the Middle. She's sufficiently sane that she isn't a Producer From Hell. She doesn't play or sing, so she isn't a DIY Producer or Artist as Producer.

She could be an Invisible Producer - she does have wallflower tendencies.

Nao definitely knows Wakaba Girls well enough to be a Helping Hand Producer, considering her songwriting skills.

There isn't enough information to tell whether she's a One-Trick Pony.

Any ideas?

In going directly to the link upon seeing it there, I came away from the page with the idea that she would be a hybrid of Invisible and Helping Hand.  What little material is known points to her as being very adept at the technical side of recording, as well as being creative.  I can see her taking raw tracks by any of the bands or singers at Douglass and very quietly, very competently giving them that something extra that takes them from good recordings to great songs.

She might start out as a One-Trick Pony, simply because of how limited her experience is, but I suspect with a) all the different performers she'll start working with at Douglass and b) all the music she can reach through the Internet, plus c) the magic of the Metacontinuity, she'll grow out of and beyond any "one-trick" nature she might start with.

(09-22-2021, 11:50 AM)robkelk Wrote:
(09-22-2021, 08:46 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: We need to add the special full-length LP HTT^2, Live at the Roadhouse when the girls and the seiyuu mix it up together on the stage as part of What Did You Do, Yui?

What's the tracklist for HTT²?

Gotta have "Fuwa Fuwa Time" - it's their signature song. Either open or close with it.

If they ask for input from other residences, Rob will mention he likes "Fude Pen Bōru Pen" ("Brush Pen, Ballpoint Pen") and "U & I".

But three songs does not a concert make.

Thoughts?

Well, without going to the page to look for specific titles, I think it would be a nice tribute to add a couple songs from the concert they played with The Art of Noise in Undocumented Features.  

From their own catalog, definitely "Singing!", and "Giita ni Kubittake" as a double between Yui and Aki Toyosaki.  There should also be something that allows for a guitar battle between them.  

Likewise, something where Mugi and Minako can wail away together on their keyboards creating a massive wall of sound.

Some pop/rock in English there's a chance the seiyuu might know, given the impromptu nature of the club set.

I keep thinking there should be a couple of their songs they've translated into English, but I don't have any candidates.  Yet.

I'll have to think on this some more.

RE: [OOC] The Douglass Gardens Sessions - Dartz - 09-22-2021

The 33-Stars could do with someone who actually knows how to organise shit

So... let's brainstorm (in a different thread) how they and Nao might learn of each other...

RE: [OOC] The Douglass Gardens Sessions - Black Aeronaut - 09-22-2021

Maybe Nao can be like George Martin anyhow?

Knowing the characters in K-on!, they're open and friendly enough to welcome a talented person into their group, even if their proficiency lay in working a mixer board rather than a musical instrument.

And, really, I can't see them not being highly interactive with their producer.  The music is too important to them.  In fact, I think it'd be like how Thom York of Radiohead always closely collaborates with the man that has done most of their album artwork, Stanley Donwood.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Donwood

I don't know which one I like best for Ui's album cover:

Option 1: Classic pose, but no guitar
Option 2: School uniform and a classic amp stack
Option 3: Something she might actually wear to practice
Option 4: Something else - provide a link to the image...

I kinda like option 3.

(09-22-2021, 04:23 PM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: Maybe Nao can be like George Martin anyhow?

Knowing the characters in K-on!, they're open and friendly enough to welcome a talented person into their group, even if their proficiency lay in working a mixer board rather than a musical instrument.

I have no problems with Nao being the best -- and most versatile -- producer that she can be.

And BA?  She already is from K-On!  She comes from the K-On! High School manga that came out after the original run, and is part of Azusa's generation of the light music club.

RE: [OOC] The Douglass Gardens Sessions - Black Aeronaut - 09-22-2021

I kinda figured that was the case, but I wasn't too sure. Either way... Smile