Drunkard's Walk Forums
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXIII - Printable Version

+- Drunkard's Walk Forums (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums)
+-- Forum: General (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General Chatter (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+---- Forum: All The Tropes Wiki Archive (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Thread: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXIII (/showthread.php?tid=14235)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXIII - robkelk - 12-16-2021

What sort of transcripts?

They might belong under Source or Analysis, depending on whether they're content or discussion about the content.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXIII - robkelk - 12-16-2021

(12-15-2021, 08:29 PM)Umbire Wrote:
(12-15-2021, 08:23 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Allrighty then.  Done, and cc'ed everyone in (except Umbire, because I couldn't find a username for him there).

'cause I ain't on there! (Yet.)

I just double-checked - the freebie wiki and the TNB wiki both still allow an admin to set full protection. So whatever this is, it's ATT-specific.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXIII - Bob Schroeck - 12-16-2021

And after Reception got rights and did a test without seeing the behavior, I did some experimentation of my own. Whatever this is, it's limited to the project namespace. Main and User, at least, work fine. I've updated the ticket with this info.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXIII - robkelk - 12-17-2021

Just made a new category: Multitasking. Feel free to add appropriate tropes to it while you're doing other things.

Interesting how the tropes with "Multitasking" in their names aren't actually about multitasking...

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXIII - Umbire - 12-17-2021

(12-16-2021, 03:37 AM)Umbire Wrote: Remedied!

Now, question: How do you handle transcripts? Do I insert them in the recap section or as a subpage to the recap page or...

Haven't got an answer for this so far.

(12-17-2021, 10:43 AM)Umbire Wrote:

Now, question: How do you handle transcripts? Do I insert them in the recap section or as a subpage to the recap page or...

Er...

(12-16-2021, 07:04 AM)robkelk Wrote: What sort of transcripts?

They might belong under Source or Analysis, depending on whether they're content or discussion about the content.

(12-17-2021, 11:48 AM)robkelk Wrote:

Er...

Ah, somehow missed it. Thank you.

They're direct transcripts of episodes (e.g., for SpongeBob SquarePants).

Additionally, I'm curious:

* [[Unfortunate Implications]]: Ben, Johnny, and Reed go to Planet Zero but leave Sue, the one girl among them, behind. Keep in mind that in the source material, Sue went with them on the trip to space that gave them their powers. Amusingly, it makes Josh Trank's insistence that his version of Sue is more progressive than the "Slutty secretary" version in the comics look ''that much more sexist''.

This comes from the YMMV page for the movie Fant4stic (the 2015 Fantastic Four) and it made me think - between this and more recent examples such as Faye's character arc in the Cowboy Bebop reboot (if not the whole show), I'm inclined to believe there's a trope at play. It's a very specific form of Shooting the Message (not specific to reboots but certainly common) that tends to presume the politics of a given work will be more progressive than previous adaptations, only to turn out quite the opposite.

I doubt this is the case, but for sake of asking, do we have a trope for that?

(12-17-2021, 01:19 PM)Umbire Wrote:
(12-17-2021, 11:48 AM)robkelk Wrote:

Er...

Ah, somehow missed it. Thank you.

They're direct transcripts of episodes (e.g., for SpongeBob SquarePants).

I would put them under "Source", myself.

(12-17-2021, 01:39 PM)Umbire Wrote: Additionally, I'm curious:

* [[Unfortunate Implications]]: Ben, Johnny, and Reed go to Planet Zero but leave Sue, the one girl among them, behind. Keep in mind that in the source material, Sue went with them on the trip to space that gave them their powers. Amusingly, it makes Josh Trank's insistence that his version of Sue is more progressive than the "Slutty secretary" version in the comics look ''that much more sexist''.

This comes from the YMMV page for the movie Fant4stic (the 2015 Fantastic Four) and it made me think - between this and more recent examples such as Faye's character arc in the Cowboy Bebop reboot (if not the whole show), I'm inclined to believe there's a trope at play. It's a very specific form of Shooting the Message (not specific to reboots but certainly common) that tends to presume the politics of a given work will be more progressive than previous adaptations, only to turn out quite the opposite.

I doubt this is the case, but for sake of asking, do we have a trope for that?

I'm pretty sure we don't have that as a trope.

I agree that we should have it.

(12-17-2021, 03:08 PM)robkelk Wrote: I would put them under "Source", myself.
I should ask my question more specifically and on-wiki, really.
(12-17-2021, 03:08 PM)robkelk Wrote: I'm pretty sure we don't have that as a trope.

I agree that we should have it.
Bet, can easily whip up a draft in my userspace.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXIII - Umbire - 12-19-2021

(12-17-2021, 04:11 PM)Umbire Wrote: Bet, can easily whip up a draft in my userspace.

Wouldn't you know it, figuring out a name's been the hardest part.

I know it's most directly related to What Do You Mean It's Not Political? and Don't Shoot the Message in particular, but trying to figure out a name that's both tasteful and precise from this info is kicking my ass right now.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXIII - robkelk - 12-19-2021

Earlier this year, I did move a trope candidate into the Trope Workshop with a terrible name, and a note saying that even I thought the name was bad. It got a better name relatively quickly.

That might work twice... maybe.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXIII - Umbire - 12-19-2021

(12-19-2021, 11:31 AM)robkelk Wrote: Earlier this year, I did move a trope candidate into the Trope Workshop with a terrible name, and a note saying that even I thought the name was bad. It got a better name relatively quickly.

That might work twice... maybe.

We'll see.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXIII - GethN7 - 12-19-2021

It is CONFIRMED, Miraheze plans to try getting an Elasticsearch cluster set up by January. Fine grained searching is going to be a real possibility.

There are a LOT of fun things we can do to further make ourselves technologically superior to TV Tropes if that happens.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXIII - robkelk - 12-20-2021

Opinions requested... and this might lead to policy being formed in an ad hoc way.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXIII - robkelk - 12-20-2021

Well, I almost got rid of a redirect today. Just two pages left - but they're both in the User namespace, and "cleaning up a redirect" doesn't really count as protecting the wiki.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXIII - Bob Schroeck - 12-21-2021

Phbbbt. I'll go change them, since they're both my userpages.

EDIT: Aaaaand done. I also deleted the redirect.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXIII - robkelk - 12-21-2021

Thanks. One down, COUNTER-BROKEN to go...

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXIII - GethN7 - 12-21-2021

This is NOT something I want to do immediately, just some things we might want to consider for next year.

Since Miraheze is planning on getting an actual Elasticsearch cluster set up by January, the following will be something we can dust off and use:

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:CirrusSearch (needed for all the below)

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:AdvancedSearch (could not use properly due to lack of ElasticSearch cluster, once we have it, it will function fully with very fine-grained searching compared to what we have now

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:RelatedArticles (enabled but inert without the cluster. With the cluster, we'll have a randomized intelligent article display with images at the bottom of every page for every namespace we deem fit, and this can be disabled or further tweaked if need be)

Should we let them know that we plan to do this, so that they can plan for the load? All the Tropes and Poser/Daz Freebies were both on Miraheze's top-twenty list by size, the last time I looked... and they only know that I want Advanced Search for the freebie wiki.

They may already know... I mean, haven't we asked about it repeatedly already?

Guys, am I really the only one looking at the Moderation Queue on anything approaching a regular basis? I got busy the last few days and skipped checking it, and now there are forty-five edits dating back ten days waiting for mod action. C'mon, if this is what we're going to do with the tool, we might as well disable it and take the spam and vandalism as it comes.

I only had time this morning to check the ones by tropers other than "Iloveicecream" - I didn't have time to double-check those against TVT.

Thank you, Rob. I had noticed it was only Iloveicecream edits and was hoping that was the case.

Meanwhile...

I have just moderated 15 entries in the list, all Iloveicecream, bringing the list down to thirty, with the oldest being just under a week. Even if you have only enough time to check a couple of them against TVT before approving/rejecting (and he has not yet, that I've detected, plagiarized again), that at least would be two fewer entries waiting for someone else to do them. I am astounded that the several of us cannot clear his contributions faster than the one of him can make them.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXIII - Bob Schroeck - 12-22-2021

Iloveicecream has just earned himself a one-week tempban by trying to slip cut'n'pasting from TVT into an edit to Bully (video game)/YMMV. Just to let everyone know. I've warned him that the third incident will likely earn him a permanent ban.