Drunkard's Walk Forums
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXV - Printable Version

+- Drunkard's Walk Forums (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums)
+-- Forum: General (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General Chatter (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+---- Forum: All The Tropes Wiki Archive (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Thread: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXV (/showthread.php?tid=14348)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXV - robkelk - 08-05-2022

(08-03-2022, 08:18 PM)robkelk Wrote: There's a Phabricator ticket regarding the now-hourly 503s: https://phabricator.miraheze.org/T9581

I am starting to get... upset... about the continuing situation. EDIT: I am also starting to think that we get what we pay for.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXV - Bob Schroeck - 08-05-2022

I donated $100 just a couple months ago. I want to see my money's worth.

Wiki's back... at least long enough for me to update the sitenotice with what little we know about the 503s.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXV - GethN7 - 08-05-2022

(08-03-2022, 11:05 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: We have a new trope candidate waiting in the moderation queue, "Heroic Dimples" submitted by new user VinnieTheBaggySweater.  A quick Googling reveals that it appears to have been a rejected trope candidate from TVT, but in order to see it, you need a TVT account.  Geth, you've got an account, right?  Could you please check the page in the mod queue against whatever TVT has?  Thanks.

And if they're identical, we need to decide if that still counts as copyright infringement.  I'm guessing yes, if VinnieTheBaggySweater isn't the one who originally proposed it at TVT.

Looked, not the same person who created it, looks plagiarized. Specifically, from a slightly older revision, but still looks plagiarized.

I guess we reject the edit, then. Thanks, Geth.

Just made a picture for a trope that didn't have one. There are so many things wrong with it (the lighting's all wrong, to start with), but it gets the trope across. In case anybody wants to use it elsewhere, I've released it under CC-BY-4.0... and listed the resources that I used to create the image.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXV - Bob Schroeck - 08-05-2022

Yes, thanks.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXV - robkelk - 08-06-2022

(08-03-2022, 09:43 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: ...
Meanwhile, re-raising the subject of promoting SmileyB.  Has the past week given folks a chance to look into them and form an opinion?

Looked, yes. Opinion... I'm not sure. The contributions are on the whole good, but they're riddled with what the Style Guide would call formatting errors (all-caps instead of boldface is the most obvious one).

While we're asking, should we promote Tad Cipher? The edits are good, but sparse.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXV - Bob Schroeck - 08-06-2022

I'll comment when we have a functioning wiki.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXV - robkelk - 08-06-2022

Speaking of a functioning wiki, I'm not launching "Cool Motive, Still A Crime" until we have one, either. I don't want the entry pimping to be interrupted.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXV - Bob Schroeck - 08-06-2022

I had a chance early this afternoon to review Tad Cipher's history, as well as check his talk page and deleted contributions history. Long edit history, no trouble or drama, generally good edits. I'm thinking we should promote him.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXV - Labster - 08-07-2022

I logged into Phabricator to request an incident report. I was going to check and see if there was an existing report, but Special:IncidentReports gives me a fatal exception. I don't expect the same level of service as I would for a paid web service, but gosh several days of downtime without clear communication bothers me.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXV - robkelk - 08-08-2022

Assuming the times on Phabricator are UTC, we have another 10 hours of frustration to look forward to. (If they're local time zone, add another 4 hours to that.)

And that's assuming the server migration is proceeding as scheduled... which is anybody's guess, because nobody's bothered to provide an update since Friday.

EDIT: I just asked for a status report. Let's see whether we get one.

We got one:
Quote:About 24-36 hours. But not percise and could be shorter or longer. This is again, just [Universal_Omega's] own estimate.

Oh, and Phabricator's time are local time zone, not UTC.

Sitenotice updated:
Quote:UPDATED: Miraheze expects that the current recurring issues in accessing the wiki will continue through August 9 and possibly through August 10. Please be patient; we have no control over this.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXV - Bob Schroeck - 08-08-2022

HornyLikeIAmA14YearOldGirl is at it again, posting what reads like he's declaring a wiki policy.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXV - GethN7 - 08-09-2022

(08-08-2022, 03:56 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: HornyLikeIAmA14YearOldGirl is at it again, posting what reads like he's declaring a wiki policy.

I commented.

The retcon he's referring to is rather divisive and a clear localization-based one, and while as a fan of the Guilty Gear series it is somewhat asinine and jarring given prior canon, I told him to keep his seethe under contorl.

The way I see it, no matter how stupid we find something, we can have private disgust for it, but so long as he does not let his disgust leak into the statement of objective fact, no matter how cringe or not it may be, he can whine all he likes, but we will not pretend said localization did not happen. We will make clear the fact it is a localization change and compared the original translation for clarity, but he can keep his seethe to the talk page so long as he does not make any attempt to rewrite history he disagrees with on the article pages.

If he proves defiant, then he should be disciplined.

Edit: Seems this was sorted out. Horny did bring up a legitimate reason for concern I cannot dispute. TV Tropes is notorious for pretending certain history did not happen if latter history agrees with their contemporary majority's feeling on the issue, and he was concerned we would follow suit, regardless of discrepancies. In the interests of honesty and acknowledging clashing canonical information, I believe it is reasonable to mention such discrepancies (in this case, a character who had been regarded as male is now called a female, despite prior canon information to the contrary), but we do so while leaving our personal feelings out of it, we simply state the varying facts between the periods of canon in question.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXV - robkelk - 08-09-2022

Looks like the fileserver migration is completed. I've updated the sitenotice.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXV - Bob Schroeck - 08-12-2022

Well, crap. I thought I had posted a long email about wiki users possibly deserving promotion. I'm going to have to reconstruct that now.

In the mean time, we need to settle on Tad Cipher.

And SmileyB.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXV - robkelk - 08-12-2022

(08-07-2022, 03:31 AM)Labster Wrote: I logged into Phabricator to request an incident report.  I was going to check and see if there was an existing report, but Special:IncidentReports gives me a fatal exception.  I don't expect the same level of service as I would for a paid web service, but gosh several days of downtime without clear communication bothers me.

The page loads now, but there's no IR for the recent degradation yet.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXV - Bob Schroeck - 08-12-2022

Okay, reconstructing the message I accidently forgot to send after previewing it.

Users to consider for promotion to automoderated:

H-Games~Documentation has been around long enough that they might just barely have qualified for grandfathering when we activated moderation.  Even if they didn't merit automoderated status then, I think they do now.

HelljmprRookie has definitely been around since before moderation and probably should have have gotten grandfathered in.  My only real quibble is that I suspect he may be the same person as JustARookie based on similar user names and an identical obsession with Monster Girl Quest!

Similarly, Dominicmgm has been around since long before moderation.  He's only made half a dozen edits, but there was no drama and no reverts.  Voting to retroactively grandfather him, too.

The23rdCamper has been a contributor for almost a year.  Not a lot of edits, but all good.

Xemylixa, a wiki member since January, not a lot of contributions but based on what they've added I'm willing to risk promoting them.

Just a 1itt1e bit further is less than two weeks old, but they've dived into structural and grammar/spelling fixes instead of just dropping examples.  This is another I'm willing to take a chance on.

TheEric132 has been around since November, and while they haven't edited a lot have concentrated on grammar, spelling and other site quality issues.

And finally, one I'm on the wall about: ShawnTehLogoBoi.  His recent edits have generally been good, but he was responsible for that "Fun Size" kerfluffle when he first showed up, and Rob's had some dealings with him that weren't exactly of the best.

--------------
Okay, and this time I'll be sure to save my work.  <grin>

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXV - GethN7 - 08-12-2022

(08-12-2022, 01:40 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Okay, reconstructing the message I accidently forgot to send after previewing it.

H-Games~Documentation has been around long enough that they might just barely have qualified for grandfathering when we activated moderation.  Even if they didn't merit automoderated status then, I think they do now.

HelljmprRookie has definitely been around since before moderation and probably should have have gotten grandfathered in.  My only real quibble is that I suspect he may be the same person as JustARookie based on similar user names and an identical obsession with Monster Girl Quest!

Similarly, Dominicmgm has been around since long before moderation.  He's only made half a dozen edits, but there was no drama and no reverts.  Voting to retroactively grandfather him, too.

The23rdCamper has been a contributor for almost a year.  Not a lot of edits, but all good.

Xemylixa, a wiki member since January, not a lot of contributions but based on what they've added I'm willing to risk promoting them.

Just a 1itt1e bit further is less than two weeks old, but they've dived into structural and grammar/spelling fixes instead of just dropping examples.  This is another I'm willing to take a chance on.

TheEric132 has been around since November, and while they haven't edited a lot have concentrated on grammar, spelling and other site quality issues.

And finally, one I'm on the wall about: ShawnTehLogoBoi.  His recent edits have generally been good, but he was responsible for that "Fun Size" kerfluffle when he first showed up, and Rob's had some dealings with him that weren't exactly of the best.

--------------

My takes in order of the users listed. 

1. Approved.

2. I see no reason to complain about having a similar interest so long as the edits are good and they cause no trouble, so recommended approval.

3. Approved.

4. Approved.

5, 6, 7. Approved.

8. I recommend holding off a bit longer, just to be safe, but if they cause no trouble in the next few weeks, recommend approve.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXV - Bob Schroeck - 08-13-2022

Why do people seem to think I am the admin on the wiki? "MirahezeGDPR 40daa136515e77c291a6128acae04c45 expialadocious" isn't the first user who apparently hasn't noticed there are five other mods (active or not).

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXV - robkelk - 08-14-2022

Maybe because you're the first "General-Purpose Administrator" listed at All The Tropes:Contact us, and the second "General-Purpose Administrator" is marked as also being an admin on other wikis. The way that page is organized, it strongly implies that they'll get a reply from you before they'll get a reply from anyone else, unless they have a software or community question.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXV - Bob Schroeck - 08-14-2022

Oh.

I haven't really thought much about that page in a long time. I guess that makes sense.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXV - Bob Schroeck - 08-15-2022

(08-12-2022, 03:02 PM)GethN7 Wrote:
(08-12-2022, 01:40 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Okay, reconstructing the message I accidently forgot to send after previewing it.

--------------

My takes in order of the users listed. 

1. Approved.

2. I see no reason to complain about having a similar interest so long as the edits are good and they cause no trouble, so recommended approval.

3. Approved.

4. Approved.

5, 6, 7. Approved.

8. I recommend holding off a bit longer, just to be safe, but if they cause no trouble in the next few weeks, recommend approve.

Okay, raising this one more time -- and reiterating we also need to decide on Tad Cipher and SmileyB. If I see no opinions to the contrary in the next day or so, I'll be promoting everyone but ShawnTehLogoBoi and SmileyB.