Drunkard's Walk Forums
Really WIERD Steps: El Hazard and more - Printable Version

+- Drunkard's Walk Forums (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums)
+-- Forum: The Drunkard's Walk (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Forum: Future Steps (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=31)
+--- Thread: Really WIERD Steps: El Hazard and more (/showthread.php?tid=1581)

Pages: 1 2

Really WIERD Steps: El Hazard and more - classicdrogn - 03-20-2004

Since the other threasd is getting around 120 posts, I thought I'd start a new one.
RE El Hazard: GoO just released it as a BEEFY Tri-Stat sourcebook, which I immediately snaffled onto. I reccomend getting it just so you can see how they modeled Ifurita's copycat powers as a base for Doug's song powers for use in TriStat. Actually, it could do reasonably as a substitute for the SMRPG that it turns out I can't find my spare copy of if you modify the Preistesses to (sailor) suit. The book is very much like the hardcover/color special edition version of Silver Age Sentinels (which I also grabbed as soon as I could get it) save only for being softcover - the paper and art qualityh are just that good, and half of it is spent going into detail on the setting, then each of the makor characters gets a full page writeup, and several lesser ones get half-pages. As a further bonus, the ruleset is the most recent revision, only seen elsewhere to my knowledge in the TriStat Dx PDF, with some setting-specific enhancements, like splitting powers into categories based on whether they should belong to natives, artifacts, or dimensional travelers who get the E-H boost, or whatever.
As a further interesting note, there is support for the notion of other models of demon-god in the E-H manga, which I have a few scanned panels of showing an Indian-looking dude with turban whose power key staff has a smaller head, that he likes to pop an energy blade out of to resemble a scythe, and ... blast, I can't remember what the other female looks like exactly, but it's simlar to the character design that was used for Kalia in the second OVAs. I couldn't say if the character is all that similar to miss "Oh, I'm a REALLY bad girl!" but I would hope she had a bit more depth than poor Kalia did. (I always saw her as having been originally like the rather sweet kid she pretends to be, driven sociopathic by what she was made to do as a demon-god - whether they're borgs or completely manufactured bots, it really doesn't matter, there'd still be a first fight/next fight/fight n to wear away at one that accidentally had an intact conscience)
RE YuGiOh - I can't say I like the series, the toys, or the carfd game itself, but if it did end up a Step (or a FicFic Sidestep) I have the perfect title: Drunkard's Walk: Like An Egyptian. Alternately, it could be the song that gets him there.
- CD
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

Re: Really WIERD Steps: El Hazard and more - classicdrogn - 03-20-2004

Oh, and when I say 'full page' or 'half page' writeups, that's not counting the inserted images and table of the character's actual stats, only the descriptive text. They take up twice that actual page-count in the book.
- CD
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles

Re: It means 'The Hazard' - cpt kangarooski - 03-20-2004

Quote:
so you can see how they modeled Ifurita's copycat powers as a base for Doug's song powers for use in TriStat.
I guess that would be a good time to put "Anything You Can Do, I Can Do Better" to some use.
I would like to see some more elemental priestesses though. And given that they're supposed to be bigwigs, perhaps some of the coreligionists that are willing to give superpowerful (pull start) weapons from long ago to relatively young women.

Re: It means 'The Hazard' - chibipoe - 03-20-2004

Quote:
I guess that would be a good time to put "Anything You Can Do, I Can Do Better" to some use.
Which be an interesting match, since Ifurita OPERATES on that principle. *grins*
"This hand of mine glows with an awesome power. Its burning grip tells me to defeat you....
Shining FINGER!" -Domon Kashuu, Mobile Fighter G Gundam

Re: It means 'The Hazard' - classicdrogn - 03-21-2004

Heh... How about making it a three-way match with Copy Ninja Kakashi of Naruto? He can steal an opponent's technique not merely after seeing, but while they're in the process of performing it to attack simulateneously.
- CD
--

Re: It means 'The Hazard' - chibipoe - 03-21-2004

I don't think Kakashi would be able to hang with Ifurita, really. Most of Kakashi's copy skill is based on suggestion and illusion. Now, a full blood Uchiha clan member(say, Itachi, who has mastered the Sharingan) would be an interesting match. But while he could probably give Doug trouble, Ifurita would just shrug him off, because she simply doesn't have the mindset for the mindgames he plays to work.
All, IMO, of course. Smile
"This hand of mine glows with an awesome power. Its burning grip tells me to defeat you....

Re: It means 'The Hazard' - SKJAM - 03-21-2004

Back a couple of decades ago, I was stationed in England with the USAF. One of the things I did there was buy a lot of the comics weeklies, including the girls' comics. (And boy did I get some weird looks.)
One had a serial set in a near-future dystopian Britain that had banned all music as frivolous and distracting from work. (Yes, I am aware of the difficulty of ever actually getting such a law passed, let alone enforced.)
The main character was a girl on the brink of adolescence who had grown up never knowing music, who's sent as a scholarship student to a prestigious boarding school. In an early chapter, she is invited to a party by the "rebellious" kids, who have managed to find an old LP and a record player. It is truly awful early 80s punk rock, and our heroine decides that if that is "music" then the government was right to ban it.
Later on, of course, the protagonist hears "good" music, and discovers a secret ballet class, which she then joins. Eventually, one of the ballet students, who is the daughter of The Minister of Banning Music, falls ill. All attempts to revive the patient fail until finally the other dancers brave the death penalty and perform for her. The daughter revives, the Minister realizes the government was wrong, and music is restored.
Interestingly, no one in the series thinks of making simple instruments of their own, or trying a capella singing; all music is recorded.
I think we all have a good idea how Sangnoir would react to landing in such a Britain.
"Where's my helmet?"
"I'm sorry sir, but our law prohibiting the ownership of devices for the playing of music applies even to American visitors such as yourself. It's been taken down to the station to be locked in the evidence vault, pending your trial on possession of prohibited substances, to wit, recorded music."
"You've got to be joking."
"No, sir. All forms of humor are also illegal."

This is familar - Rod.H - 03-21-2004

Quote:
One had a serial set in a near-future dystopian Britain that had banned all music as frivolous and distracting from work. (Yes, I am aware of the difficulty of ever actually getting such a law passed, let alone enforced.)
I wonder whether that was the insperation behind the Ben Elton & Queen musical 'We will rock you'. From what I know of it the themes used are the same.
Pity I didn't go see it when it performed down here.
--Rod.H
(However I did catch Phantom)

'Just' re;eased? - drakensis - 03-21-2004

Quote:
RE El Hazard: GoO just released it as a BEEFY Tri-Stat sourcebook, which I immediately snaffled onto.
CD, that's been out for a while... getting on for three years now. It is one of their better releases though. Sadly the El Hazard 2 sourcebook they promised never arrved.
In other news from GoO, the Slayers Next sourcebook is released at the end of the month (And then of course there's the license for Evangelion, whioch has already been mentioned on this board).
D for Drakensis

You're only young once, but immaturity is forever.

Re: 'Just' re;eased? - classicdrogn - 03-22-2004

Yeeeesh. Okay, I'll put it this way: My local game shop just now bothered to get it. Why they didn't before I couldn't say, since it's the kind of little local place where they know 80% or more of the cutomers by name and know I tend to grab TriStat anime RPGs as soon as I see them.
As to me not knowing about it before hand... I generally avoid looking for information like that, much as I don't go into book stores very often anymore - too much danger I'll spend all the money I have access to, forgetting little things like gas and food. The game shop is relatively safe, they mostly only have d20 crap.
Whoa, sudden vision of eeeevil - Rifts d20 - Palladium's system is basically AD&D 1e with Siemada's nutbar additions, so why not bring it back?
The sad thing is, it might still be an improvement.
- CD
--

Re: El-Hazard - Bob Schroeck - 03-22-2004

I just showed all of EH to Offsides in one sitting Saturday night, and we had some very brief discussion about a fight between her and Doug. We decided, as I recall, that it might be possible to use "Anything You Can Do" to overload her, by volleying the same attack back and forth, but I don't know that if getting hit by a stronger version of an attack she already knows counts as something she could learn and mimic.
Oh, and Mephron? Here's an idea to sling at Gryphon for a Kanzaki Films production some time in the late 24teens:
Sumire Kanzaki and Ifurita, together again for the first time, in El-Lizard, the Magnificent Thief.

-- Bob
---------
There's no wrong way to eat a Rhesus.

Re: El-Hazard - chibipoe - 03-22-2004

Quote:
I just showed all of EH to Offsides in one sitting Saturday night, and we had some very brief discussion about a fight between her and Doug. We decided, as I recall, that it might be possible to use "Anything You Can Do" to overload her, by volleying the same attack back and forth, but I don't know that if getting hit by a stronger version of an attack she already knows counts as something she could learn and mimic.
I wonder, myself, since, iirc, Ifurita is at least Ryoko power level(or higher). She can obliterate entire cities in one shot. And I seem to recall you mentioning that they(Tenchi cast) are way above Doug's power level. So, in my opinion only, Doug's best bet would be to try and outlast her, since she doesn't have an infinite power source.
Just my two cents though.

Another possible song to use... - RMH999 - 03-22-2004

There's another one that might work for deflecting an attack back...
"Return to Sender" by Elvis Presley... it might work as a general middle of melee song as well, as Doug jumps into the middle, and the attacks sent at him bounce back at the attackers...
RMH
BOWIE'S THEOREM
If an experiment works, you must be using the wrong equipment.

Re: El-Hazard - Valles - 03-23-2004

Quote:
Of the Warriors I've seen, I'd say that only Hexe could produce enough raw power to actually endanger OAVIfurita. Probably some of the others could last long enough for her to need to withdraw for recharge, but good grief! This girl tossed around six or seven 1/2 kiloton (-minimum-) energy blasts, -without- reaching her limits.
To borrow a phrase from Keith Laumer, she's capable of firepower measurable in megatons per second. Not in whole numbers, probably, granted, but still.
The Ifurita we see in OAV2 seems -much- less capable - she shows no sign of the same mimic abilities, and doesn't seem to have the same kind of brute power, so I suspect that she was either in desperate need of repair and refit, or just an older and less capable model that was externally identical to the new one.
The manga edition does somewhat better, but then again she's not up against Kalia. Of the three versions, she definitely comes across as the most cunning - when up against two Phantom Tribe demon gods with equal or greater power, she wins by outwitting them, and does so without any real trouble. Interestingly, she also seems the -youngest- - at several points she acts more like sassy teenager than an ancient engine of death and destruction - but that's neither here nor there.
Blessed be,
-n
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."

Re: El-Hazard - chibipoe - 03-23-2004

Quote:
The Ifurita we see in OAV2 seems -much- less capable - she shows no sign of the same mimic abilities, and doesn't seem to have the same kind of brute power, so I suspect that she was either in desperate need of repair and refit, or just an older and less capable model that was externally identical to the new one.
Having not seen the other OVAs or TV series(been warned to ignore them(OVAs) and what I've learned about the TV series just put me off completely because it seemed to screw around with the things I liked about El-Hazard in the first place, which was the story involving Ifurita and Makoto and how he helped her move past what she was and get the freedom to choose her own fate.(yeah, I was a bit of a sucker for his falling for her too, despite its contrived nature). The TV Ifurita is, iirc, a complete twit with a palette swap and everything I've heard about the plot has said it doesn't really touch on the things I liked.

Re: El-Hazard - classicdrogn - 03-23-2004

TGV's Ifutirta isn't just a palletee swap, it's a completely different character design. Aside from the name, which could arguably be more of a descritption than an actual name (Ifurita-class tactical humanoid weapon) is nothing like OAV Ifurita. They could easily coexist in a fanfic world with one or the other getting a different name, nickname or diminutive. Heck, TV's Ifurita could end up considering OAV Ifurita a big sister, aftr the inevitable fight-before-the-heroes-team-up.
Whoa, wierd image, OAV vesion as Urd, TV version as Skuld, now who's Belldandy? Kahlia can be Marller...
- CD
--

Re: El-Hazard - Bob Schroeck - 03-23-2004

Quote:
I wonder, myself, since, iirc, Ifurita is at least Ryoko power level(or higher). She can obliterate entire cities in one shot. And I seem to recall you mentioning that they(Tenchi cast) are way above Doug's power level.
In rewatching this weekend, I noticed that she operates on two different power levels -- tactical and strategic. In strategic, she takes out entire cities. But she doesn't use this level of power when fighting individual opponents like the priestesses -- instead, she mimics their abilities (and only their abilities -- a limitation in her design, maybe?) at a level somewhat but not humongously above theirs. Honestly, because she does have that strategic level of power, I don't think Doug could overload her, but he certainly could surprise her a time or three...

-- Bob
---------

Re: El-Hazard - chibipoe - 03-23-2004

Quote:
In rewatching this weekend, I noticed that she operates on two different power levels -- tactical and strategic. In strategic, she takes out entire cities. But she doesn't use this level of power when fighting individual opponents like the priestesses -- instead, she mimics their abilities (and only their abilities -- a limitation in her design, maybe?) at a level somewhat but not humongously above theirs. Honestly, because she does have that strategic level of power, I don't think Doug could overload her, but he certainly could surprise her a time or three...
My suspicion is that, whoever created her, decided to be cute and programmed her to, in single combat, throw back whatever she's being attacked with in spades.
Then again, it could also be something far less complex. Perhaps she is just conversing energy? She clearly has some sort of power level sensory ability and determines that she doesn't -have- to do anything other than use their own powers against them.
Also, in her second battle with them, they've just come off of unsealing the Eye of God, and are markedly weaker than normal(or so I gathered). I don't think it would really have mattered if they -were- at full strength, since she handily trounced Shayla after Psycho-Boy woke her up.

Re: El-Hazard - Valles - 03-24-2004

Quote:
Then again, it could also be something far less complex. Perhaps she is just conversing energy? She clearly has some sort of power level sensory ability and determines that she doesn't -have- to do anything other than use their own powers against them.
I'd say a bit of A and a bit of B, with a dash of C (she prefers not to wreck the landscape without explicit orders, and so holds back to cut down on the property damage) added in for flavor.
Blessed be.
-n
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."

And more ... - The StarWolf - 03-25-2004

" To borrow a phrase from Keith Laumer, she's capable of firepower measurable in megatons per second."
A Bolo fan? Yes!
Unfortunately, definitely NOT a universe for Doug. The scope of the Crazy Years in that universe (global) pretty much precludes his being an effective agent to prevent it all. And later adventures, even if they could somehow be more limited in scope, would see him horribly out of his element against opponents which can react more precisely, and much more quickly (unless, perhaps he's using super speed, and even then ...) and dishing out a lot more firepower at far greater ranges. I'm not sure even Wetter Hexe could survive against a couple of even mid-range Bolos or their opposition.

Re: And more ... - Bob Schroeck - 03-27-2004

Quote:
I'm not sure even Wetter Hexe could survive against a couple of even mid-range Bolos or their opposition.
Well, if she doesn't, then their problems have just begun, because one of Hexe's powers is a post-mortem final strike. Basically, once kicked out her human body, all of Who Hexe really is, is right there, and pissed. You do the math.

-- Bob
---------

Opponents - The StarWolf - 03-27-2004

Mid-range Bolos (say, late model Mk XVs and up to the really gross Mk XXXI and later) have an advanced AI-directed prime weapon which was in effect a shaped thermonuclear explosion which sees pretty much the entire energy directed in a tight shot at the enemy. This weapon, encased in a fusion powered war hull made of advanced alloys backed by shields and energy-absorption grids designed to withstand pretty much anything short of a direct hit by a tac nuke. Laumer built them tough. ;-)
There's not much that can worry one short of their enemy equivalent.

Re: Opponents - classicdrogn - 03-27-2004

Indeed, one of the Bolo stories I remember has three 'outdated' models (mk25, IIRC, around the intruduction of the mk28) defend against an entire alien invasion fleet by themselves, shooting down ships in orbit with their main guns and then mopping up what troop shuttles managed to offload with only minor assistance from the locval squishies, mainly in the role of finding the enemy and maintaining contact until the nearest bolo could get there to take care of business.
- CD
--

Back to El-Hazard - ordnance11 - 04-01-2004

Funny, you didn't mention the Alternative World. It's a continuation of the OVA timeline.
Now there is something I just remembered. If Doug did go to El-Hazard, will he gain another power? All of the others from earth did..they became meta-humans.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Re: Back to El-Hazard - Disruptor - 04-02-2004

Doug's El-Hazard metatalent?
Hmmmmm.
Whenever the 1812 overture plays, magical canons apppear and fire at the appropriate time. ^_^
--------------------
Tom Mathews aka Disruptor