Drunkard's Walk Forums
It is Friday, 31 August. - Printable Version

+- Drunkard's Walk Forums (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums)
+-- Forum: The Drunkard's Walk (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Forum: Drunkard's Walk VIII: Harry Potter and the Man from Otherearth (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+--- Thread: It is Friday, 31 August. (/showthread.php?tid=6153)

Pages: 1 2

It is Friday, 31 August. - Bob Schroeck - 09-01-2012

Chapter Two is now available to Forum members.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

- Black Aeronaut - 09-01-2012

HELLS YEAH!!! *Peals out like a dude in a rat-rod.*

- Labster - 09-01-2012

*snicker* a chicken *giggles*
-- ∇×V

- Dartz - 09-01-2012

I sense a casting cock-up in the future...

And naturally, any mention of Benny Hill requires the Distinctive theme tune to be played.

Edit: Minor thing, but on the concordance page the link to the Dead Parrot Sketch goes to your 404 page.

- DHBirr - 09-01-2012

Somehow, I managed to restrain my reaction to "SPARKLYPOO!" until after I read further and saw the actual assignment was Hufflepuff.  Then I laughed for some five to ten seconds, bending double at one point, following which I had to stand and pace about my study for maybe a full minute, giggling occasionally.
Re:  the chicken-wand, in relative proximity to "superhero" references:  "Bawk-bawk-bawk-BAWWWWK!"  "Chicken-Maaaaan!"  "He's everywhere!  He's everywhere!"
I notice that Rob Kelk, if still including the Sailor Jupiter simulacrum scene in BSBW, will have to revise it, something along the lines of, "It was probably-Makoto from that mystery photograph...."
You couldn't nail the thug-wizards' ears to the wall, in a salute to Sergeant Detritus' anti-drug crusade?  "I fort:  what bastard who sells Slab to kids deserves bein' nailed up by his ears, sir, and ... bingo.  Dis idea just formed in my head."  No, never mind.
I gather something about Doug scares the Black family portraits, so they're on their most unobtrusive behavior.  This is impressive.
General response:  happy "Mmmmmmmm...."
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

- robkelk - 09-01-2012

DHBirr Wrote:I notice that Rob Kelk, if still including the Sailor Jupiter simulacrum scene in BSBW, will have to revise it, something along the lines of, "It was probably-Makoto from that mystery photograph...."
Always in motion is the future... er, the Stagger.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

- M Fnord - 09-01-2012

Chapter 2 Wrote:It seemed to have a jet fighter somewhere in its DNA

Is it just me, or has this particular turn of phrase come up before in the Walk? I'd swear I've seen this used by another character to describe Doug's bike previously...
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"

- Jorlem - 09-01-2012

M Fnord Wrote:
Chapter 2 Wrote:It seemed to have a jet fighter somewhere in its DNA

Is it just me, or has this particular turn of phrase come up before in the Walk? I'd swear I've seen this used by another character to describe Doug's bike previously...
Its a valid observation though.  Also, the BttF vibe the bike gives of just struck me.  I wonder why I hadn't caught that before, or if I had, why I forgot that.
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

- Labster - 09-01-2012

I expect to see some legilimency in Doug's future.  I imagine the HP-level magic is much less powerful compared to the Silver Crystal, but it should give some results.
The chicken thing really is funny.  In a world where everything about magic is so serious and regimented, where a wand is symbol of a wizard's station in life, there goes Looney Toons waving around a rubber chicken like a cartoon Voodoo priest.
Quote:We'd've never started dating, let alone gotten married, if I hadn't known and believed I could get close to her without accidentally vaporizing her clothes.
Poor Negi Springfield.
-- ∇×V

- robkelk - 09-01-2012

Quote:"Cornelius, we have a problem." Dolores Umbridge's sickly-sweet voice preceded her pink-clad bulk into the office of the Minister of Magic. She really did bear an unfortunate resemblance to a toad, Fudge thought, not for the first time, but she was so terribly efficient, and so unswervingly loyal.

"What is it, Dolores?" he asked as she maneuvered her broad, squat form around a pair of chairs and into position in front of his desk.
It's a situation that causes difficulties for the people affected, but that's not important right now.

(Yes, I know neither of them have anything remotely resembling a sense of humour. But the rest of us do...)
--
Rob Kelk

- Evil Midnight Lurker - 09-02-2012

...that hat knows things, man. o.O;

Also? I have never come so close to pitying Umbridge. Still pretty far away though.

--Sam
"Gravity is a harsh mistress."

- DHBirr - 09-02-2012

On a meta level, we can argue "SPARKLYPOO!" proves that not only does Dumbledore enjoy Monty Python, but the Sorting Hat reads HP fanfics -- which is arguably more impressive (if indicative of not-always-good taste).
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

- Norgarth - 09-02-2012

DHBirr Wrote:On a meta level, we can argue "SPARKLYPOO!" proves that not only does Dumbledore enjoy Monty Python, but the Sorting Hat reads HP fanfics -- which is arguably more impressive (if indicative of not-always-good taste).
Well, the Hat really only does it's thing one day of the year.  What else is it gonna do for the rest of the year? :p

- Terrace - 09-02-2012

It'd be funny for Doug and Dumbledore to do the Dead Parrot sketch as entertainment for the students who stay at Hogwarts during the winter break.

- Jinx999 - 09-02-2012

Why do I have the feeling that Bob's got a list of common Harry Potter Fic scenes he's ticking off?

- robkelk - 09-02-2012

Is Bob ticking off the scenes, or do the scenes tick off Bob?
--
Rob Kelk

- Disruptor - 09-03-2012

Bob tries to go against the standard way things fall in fanfics.
--------------------
Tom Mathews aka Disruptor

- drakensis - 09-03-2012

So if there was a battletech step, would Doug pilot an Agromech?

Just to go against the grain.
D for Drakensis

You're only young once, but immaturity is forever.

- Black Aeronaut - 09-03-2012

DHBirr Wrote:Somehow, I managed to restrain my reaction to "SPARKLYPOO!" until after I read further and saw the actual assignment was Hufflepuff.  Then I laughed for some five to ten seconds, bending double at one point, following which I had to stand and pace about my study for maybe a full minute, giggling occasionally.
Yeah, I pretty much did a spit-take the instant I read "SPARKLYPOO!"  Just glad my chewing gum didn't wind up on my laptop.

- Dartz - 09-03-2012

It occurs to me while sipping on tea during my lunchbreak that, if the Universal Theory of Magic is related to the Universal Theory of Everything, then it's entirely possible for a previously non-magical culture with no magical traditions beyond illusions to discover it, and call it 'new physics', or metaphysics or something beyond quantum physics, and slap it with a big fat 'advanced science' label.

- Bob Schroeck - 09-04-2012

ShinDangaioh Wrote:Bob tries to go against the standard way things fall in fanfics.
Indeed I do.  And if anyone has any particular overdone/cliched scenes from Potter fics that they think are ripe for lampooning, post them in a separate thread and I'll see what I can work into the story.
-- Bob
---------

- Jorlem - 09-04-2012

Out of curiosity, is this the first time Doug has been able to reliably perform non-music based or ritual magic? (By ritual based, I mean stuff like drawing the seal in the Buffy step, which seems to be more about knowing the proper forms than using your own power.)
-----
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

- Ebony - 09-04-2012

Timote Wrote:
DHBirr Wrote:On a meta level, we can argue "SPARKLYPOO!" proves that not only does Dumbledore enjoy Monty Python, but the Sorting Hat reads HP fanfics -- which is arguably more impressive (if indicative of not-always-good taste).
Well, the Hat really only does it's thing one day of the year.  What else is it gonna do for the rest of the year? :p
Hang out with Jack, Scott, and the rest of the crew?
From the Concordance:

A few moments later I heard claws on stone, and a cat appeared from the far end of the hall
Yes, I know that cats have retractable claws and wouldn't normally make any noise. But as cats age, sometimes the retractability of their claws lessens, either because they grow too thick or because of neurological damage. So it's not uncommon for older cats to click when they walk on hard surfaces. And Mrs. Norris is no spring kneazle.
It also happens when owners don't allow the cat a scratching post or trim their claws. Given Filtch's opinions on the matter, I suspect he would prefer Mrs. Norris to have claws as long and sharp as possible.
"'What an eccentric performance'," I quoted to myself
A line from Monty Python and the Holy Grail; King Arthur says it about the growly, over-the-top Tim the Enchanter when they first meet.
I thought the line was "What a strange person...." but it has been a long time since I've seen the movie, so it may be both.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

- Bob Schroeck - 09-05-2012

Ebony Wrote:"'What an eccentric performance'," I quoted to myself
A line from Monty Python and the Holy Grail; King Arthur says it about the growly, over-the-top Tim the Enchanter when they first meet.
I thought the line was "What a strange person...." but it has been a long time since I've seen the movie, so it may be both.
Nope, that's the exact wording.  Dunno how authoritative you'll consider IMDB, but check out the first quote on this page.
-- Bob
---------

- Jorlem - 09-05-2012

Galahad says "What a strange person" to Arthur, referring to the French Knight, which is probably what you are thinking of.
-----