Drunkard's Walk Forums
English Choral Music from Rebuild of Evangelion - Printable Version

+- Drunkard's Walk Forums (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums)
+-- Forum: The Drunkard's Walk (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Forum: The Game Everyone Loves To Play (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Thread: English Choral Music from Rebuild of Evangelion (/showthread.php?tid=6956)

Pages: 1 2

English Choral Music from Rebuild of Evangelion - Logan Darklighter - 09-24-2010

Ok, I've just discovered several clips of the new Evangelion movies 1.11 You are (not) Alone and 2.22 You can (not) Advance. A full blown fanboy gobsmacked rant is forthcoming on how impressed I am with what I've seen so far, but that's not the purpose of this post. 

I've also discovered several uploads of the soundtracks of the two films. And one striking thing is - there are choral parts that in any English film would normally be in Latin. But here they used English!! 

I think Doug's talent twigs off of any music sung and with instrumental accompaniment. So here are some links with Lyrics. 

KEEP YOUR HEAD ABOVE THE MAYHEM
In the battle of the bravest souls, over evil shall the good prevail,
If the universe is crashing down, heed the chaos and then drown it out,
Showing flashes of bravado, in a torrent of destruction, keep your head
above the mayhem;? clarity will be your weapon as the blinded falter and die.

It's a very simple chorus. But it repeats a couple of times and the track itself is only 2:30 long. Serious tactical insight/combat boost? It doesn't last long, so it better be for something he can get done quick. 

IN MY SPIRIT

In my spirit lies my faith
Stronger than love and with me it will be for always

Not much there. But it is a sung part. Repeated several times. Not sure if that qualifies enough to trigger anything. And - not sure WHAT it would trigger, but just throwing it in. 

FATE
What will the future hold
How will I be rewarded
Have I the right to riches
In a world where there are no prizes
Who makes? the clock tick by
When will my fate be ready
Do I get prior warning
Am I told? Are there no surprises
I have to count my blessings
I have to learn my lessons
My fate is in the balance
I must go on believing

Again - not suggesting any effect by my own opinion. Just throwing it in. 

There are more vocal bits to the soundtrack. But even though Anno is "on his meds" they are still typically disturbing/creepy. Well even more disturbing, creepy, or used in INAPPROPRIATE scenes than the ones above. The above is pretty much used as fight/battle music. 

(The child singing "let's be friends" while the dummy plug controlled Eva-01 dismembers Bardiel/Eva-03 is REALLY FUCKING CREEPY/SAD)

- Bob Schroeck - 09-25-2010

Quote:KEEP YOUR HEAD ABOVE THE MAYHEM

It's a very simple chorus. But it repeats a couple of times and the track itself is only 2:30 long. Serious tactical insight/combat boost? It doesn't last long, so it better be for something he can get done quick.
Might be cumulative per round the song is playing; but given that most Warriors combats complete in one or two combat rounds (15 seconds each), not as useful as it might seem. Still, I like.
Quote:IN MY SPIRIT

Not much there. But it is a sung part. Repeated several times. Not sure if that qualifies enough to trigger anything. And - not sure WHAT it would trigger, but just throwing it in.
Oh, it would count by the rules I set for this. But I'm just as stumped for an effect at the moment as you are. Maybe a willpower boost?
Quote:FATE
Mm. With that title and those lyrics, maybe a summons for the Three...
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

- robkelk - 09-25-2010

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Mm. With that title and those lyrics, maybe a summons for the Three...
If Doug's very, very lucky, a summons for the incarnation of The Three that he met in DW V. If he's unlucky, a summons for their Overselves, whom he (may have) met in DW II before meeting those incarnations...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

- Bob Schroeck - 09-25-2010

Or one of the local variations -- he may not get the Norns, but the Furies, or the Celtic triad, or the Three Stooges Star-Eyed Goddess from Velgarth...
-- Bob
---------

- Logan Darklighter - 09-25-2010

I really do recommend listening to the actual music. It does evoke a very particular sort of mood. 

- itsune9tl - 09-25-2010

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Or one of the local variations -- he may not get the Norns, but the Furies, or the Celtic triad, or the Three Stooges Star-Eyed Goddess from Velgarth...
I personally do not have a problem with the Three Stooges (points for remembering all four names) being some Universes version of The Three.
After all God does have a sense of humor.

- Dartz - 09-25-2010

Logan Darklighter Wrote:I really do recommend listening to the actual music. It does evoke a very particular sort of mood. 

Especially alongside the animation. If there's one thing everyone agrees on about Rebuild, is that the soundtrack really does work with what's on screen... especially if you have a thing for soundtrack dissonance, and even so, Tsubasa wo Kudasi (sp?) really fits the final scenes as Shinji does everything to save Rei, up to near triggering the end of the world.

- HoagieOfDoom - 09-25-2010

Logan Wrote:IN MY SPIRIT
In my spirit lies my faith
Stronger than love and with me it will be for always

Once Doug starts the song, nothing can dissuade him from his chosen course of action for its duration. Like Bob said, a willpower boost, but one specifically for resisting social/charisma effects.

And yeah, Rebuild is made of Win and Awesome.

- Logan Darklighter - 09-26-2010

Oh yes. Yes indeed. 

Here's a very good comparison of what has been upgraded. 

This is the Angel Sahaquiel fight from the original TV series. That's the angel that drops from orbit to impact Tokyo 3. 

Now - here's the same sequence in the new Rebuild of Evangelion 2.22. (As a bonus, the second song that plays as soon as Eva-01 intersects AT Fields with Sahaquiel is the Fate song from above. 

And that's not EVEN the biggest or most impressive thing about the new version of Eva. 

- Bob Schroeck - 09-26-2010

Is 2.22 released in North America yet? Last time I looked I couldn't find it.
-- Bob
---------

- Dartz - 09-26-2010

Not for a while. I think Funimation have licensed it, but that's about it. It took quite a while before 1.0 got released, so it might be a while before it comes out. There was over a year and a half between Japanese and Western DVD releases of 1.01. Japanese 2.22 DvD release only came out in the Spring.

- Bob Schroeck - 09-26-2010

Okay, thanks.
-- Bob
---------

- Logan Darklighter - 10-01-2010

Hey guys? I know the dark evil gods of copyright will take this down quickly, so I thought I'd give you a heads up - I found what I confirm to be the entirety of 2.22 in segments on Youtube. (EDIT: Subtitled in VERY good English!)

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8

The option is there to watch each segment in full HD. I highly suggest you avail yourself of the opportunity to do so while you still can

Hold on to your hats, folks! And STAY TO WATCH THE VERY LAST SCENE AFTER THE CREDITS! 

HOLY FREAKING HELL!!!!!!!

- Bob Schroeck - 10-01-2010

Can anyone recommend a utility to rip YouTube video to local files?
-- Bob
---------

- Dartz - 10-01-2010

I just pulled part 1 using this Firefox addon.

- Bob Schroeck - 10-01-2010

And yes! it works in Seamonkey.  Thanks!
-- Bob
---------

- Jorlem - 10-04-2010

Personally, I use this Firefox extension.I just found it more friendly than Video Downloader, and I think it gives more downloading options, though I could be wrong.  It only works for youtube though, so...
Anyway, does anyone know of a way to stitch, let's say, oh, eight, mp4 files together?  No reason, really.  It's for, umm, a project of mine?
_>
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

- Logan Darklighter - 10-05-2010

Ok. Neither one of those add-ons is working for me. Any suggestions?

- Jorlem - 10-05-2010

The one I use needs some parts from Greasemonkey, so if you don't have that, or a random assortment of other add ons with the required pieces, it won't work. (Guess which I have). Otherwise, I would suggest hitting google for a YouTube downloader. There are pleanty of them out there, you just need to make sure it downloads the hd file, and not one of the files of lesser quality.
-----
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

- Bob Schroeck - 10-05-2010

If you could get Dartz' recommendation working, it will grab the 1080p MP4 file easily; that's what I did.
-- Bob
---------

- Jorlem - 10-05-2010

Ah ok. It sounds like they've updated that since I've last tried it. I remember having to install an extra converter to get the file in mp4 format and it was slow and annoying. I'll give it another try after my current computer difficulties are resolved.
-----

- Kurisu - 10-05-2010

The video downloader is SWEET! The converter locked out MP3 conversion until you buy the $29 code, but other than that, is works nicely.
_____
DEATH is Certain. The hour, Uncertain...

- Jorlem - 10-07-2010

Bob Schroeck Wrote:If you could get Dartz' recommendation working, it will grab the 1080p MP4 file easily; that's what I did.
You were able to get a 1080p file?  I tried using Video DownloadHelper, and all I got was the same 720p file I got with mine.  I've only tried it with part one, but I'm fairly sure the resolution would be constant throughout.
-----

- Jorlem - 10-07-2010

Ok.  I just finished watching 2.22.  I had decided that, until I could see it in its 'director's cut' version, and in high quality, I wanted to remain unspoilered.  I succeeded.  It was worth it.

That.  Was.

GLORIOUS!
I won't say anything else here for fear that someone, like me, hasn't seen it, and is waiting for the weekend, or dvd/blu-ray, or something, but that was F&%!ing awesome!  Big Grin  (Also, why doesn't the insert smilies button have any smilies?)
-----

- Bob Schroeck - 10-07-2010

Quote:You were able to get a 1080p file? I tried using Video DownloadHelper, and all I got was the same 720p file I got with mine.
Okay, I thought I had, but I went back and checked on what I downloaded and it does appear to be 720p. DownloadHelper still insists that it's offering 1080p, though.
-- Bob
---------