Drunkard's Walk Forums
Thinking of doing a DW fanfic... - Printable Version

+- Drunkard's Walk Forums (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums)
+-- Forum: The Drunkard's Walk (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Forum: General DW Chatter (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: Thinking of doing a DW fanfic... (/showthread.php?tid=7220)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Eating meat is murder - Florin - 04-05-2006

One of my favourite Futurama episodes:
"Eating meat is murder!"
"It's perfectly natural, animals do it all the time!"
"Nuh uh, we taught this lion to eat only tofu!"
"Cough-hack*
--
If you become a monster to put down a monster you've still got a monster running around at the end of the day and have as such not really solved the whole monster problem at all. 

Rob: A Song To Use... - Bob Schroeck - 04-06-2006

...either for pull quotes or for whatever other use you care to put it. This is in my collection and I was just listening to it earlier today; and I thought, you know, Rob could probably find something to do with this....

This is me for forever
One of the lost ones
The one without a name
Without an honest heart
as compass
This is me for forever
One without a name
These lines the last endeavor
To find the missing lifeline
Oh how I wish
For soothing rain
All I wish is to dream again
My loving heart
Lost in the dark
For hope I'd give my eveything
My flower, withered between
The pages 2 and 3
The once and forever bloom
gone with my sins
Walk the dark path
Sleep with angels
Call the past for help
Touch me with your love
And reveal to me my true name
Oh how I wish
For soothing rain
All I wish is to dream again
My loving heart
Lost in the dark
For hope I'd give my eveything
Oh, how I wish
For soothing rain
Oh how I wish to dream again
Once and for all
And all for once
Nemo my name forevermore
Nemo sailing home
Nemo letting go
Oh, how I wish...
-- Nightwish, Nemo
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Re: Rob: A Song To Use... - robkelk - 04-06-2006

Thanks, Bob. From the lyrics, I suspect I want to find a copy of the song... (Which means I have to remember to look for it at the music stores this weekend, when I'm looking for a couple of other CDs.)
-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Re: Rob: A Song To Use... - Bob Schroeck - 04-06-2006

Let me know if you can't find it, okay?

-- Bob
---------
For Jor-El so loved the Earth, he sent his only begotten son...

Re: A fragment from Chapter 1 - robkelk - 04-11-2006

Quote:
Oh, yes... chapter titles.
After careful consideration, I have decided to go with these chapter titles. ClassicDrogn and Foxboy will be thanked for their suggestions in the credits sections of the chapters.

Chapter One: Life's a Beach ...
In which Our Hero meets three Castaways and learns about their World, from their Viewpoint.
Chapter Two: Once More onto the Beach
In which Our Hero meets more Castaways and learns about their World, from Our Hero's Viewpoint.
Chapter Three: All We Are Saying Is, "Give Beach a Chance"
In which Our Hero and the Castaways make their way to Civilization, learn some Secrets, and become embroiled in a Conflict.
Chapter Four: Surf's Up!
In which Our Hero and the Castaways give their All in the course of the Conflict.
Epilogue: Everything's Just Beachy

-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk

Re: A fragment from Chapter 1 - VladimirTherin - 04-13-2006

"Every time I hear some obnoxiously aggressive vegetarian say that eating meat is murder, I want to ask if he or she'd tell a lion that."
Actually, some of the more extreme ones do argue that you ought to be feeding your pets on grain with taurine supplements.
Taurine of course being that specific amino acid that felines and other obligate carnivores need in order to survive ( they cant synthesize it like omn/herbivores).
Cat's specificly have to eat a certain amount of taurine bearing meat or they go blind and die of heart problems in short order. I like cats, even if they are tiny little psychotics.

Re: A fragment from Chapter 1 - DHBirr - 04-13-2006

Quote:
Actually, some of the more extreme ones do argue that you ought to be feeding your pets on grain with taurine supplements.
Yes, but ask them if they'd dare get right up in the lion's face and lecture it about not eating meat. I think even the most extreme vegenazi realizes that if they did, they'd soon be in the lion's face in a very literal sense. (And I, reading about it, would laugh.)
Although that brings to mind a cartoon I found hysterically funny: A man -- obviously not a vegetarian -- confronts a lion with its mouth full of gazelle. "Now, see here! My name is Thomson and that is my gazelle!"
Anyway, enough digression. Nadia got very nicely slapped down, through the lines Mssrs. Schroeck and Kelk gave Doug, and I'm quite happy about it. Now, back to Blue Skies, Blue Water! (Hint, hint)
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

Re: A fragment from Chapter 1 - robkelk - 04-27-2006

I'm still working on it, really... (although family and work come first).
One brief teaser:
"I'm impressed, Nadia. You copied my routine just by watching me out of the corner of your eye; that's a rare skill."
"I though everyone could do that," she replied while gasping for breath. "You do that every day?"
I shook my head. "I have other workout routines that I use when I'm indoors, or in a forest. That's one of my open-space routines." I turned to our spectator. "How about it, Jean? Want to get in some exercise with us?"

-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk

Re: A fragment from Chapter 1 - Bob Schroeck - 04-27-2006

Nadia has photographic reflexes?
Yeah, I suppose she might, given a few of the things she does in the series... cool.
Quote:
I have other workout routines that I use when I'm indoors, or in a forest.
"...or standing on the ridge pole of a building's roof, or trapped in a restroom, or running though a busy restaurant kitchen, or... why are you looking at me like that?"

-- Bob
---------

Re: A fragment from Chapter 1 - Ebony - 04-27-2006

Quote:
"...or standing on the ridge pole of a building's roof, or trapped in a restroom, or running though a busy restaurant kitchen, or... why are you looking at me like that?"
Ah, but does he have one for fighting the Prince of the Forest Moon on a randomly tilting platform in the Palace of the Hawkmen? Smile

(That's "Flash Gordon," for those of you too young to remember Sam J. Jones.)Ebony the Black Dragon
Senior Editor, Living Room Games
http://www.lrgames.com
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

Re: A fragment from Chapter 1 - Bob Schroeck - 04-27-2006

Yes, but he hasn't perfected it yet. Not much opportunity to practice.

-- Bob
---------

Re: A fragment from Chapter 1 - robkelk - 04-28-2006

Quote:
Nadia has photographic reflexes?
That, or she's getting an assist from the Blue Water... I'm deliberately leaving this undefined.
Quote:
That's going into the 'fic...
-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk

Re: A fragment from Chapter 1 - Bob Schroeck - 04-28-2006

-- Bob
---------

Re: A fragment from Chapter 1 - robkelk - 04-29-2006

The fragment, revised:
"I'm impressed, Nadia. You copied my routine just by watching me out of the corner of your eye; that's a rare skill."
"I though everyone ... could do that," she replied while gasping for breath. "You do that ... every day?"
I shook my head. "I have other workout routines that I use when I'm in a gymnasium, or in the middle of a forest, or standing on the ridge pole of a building's roof, or trapped in a restroom, or running though a busy restaurant kitchen, or ... why are you looking at me like that?"
"Are you joking?"
"Whenever I can," I replied with a smile. I turned to our spectator. "How about it, Jean? Want to get in some exercise with us?"
-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk

Re: A fragment from Chapter 1 - DHBirr - 04-29-2006

I'm not certain, but it seems as if this is something even more impressive than photographic reflexes (and that takes some doing), because what I'm getting from the description suggests that Nadia's duplicating Doug's moves in near or total synchronization with him. I don't believe the Taskmaster could pull that off; it's always been my impression he'd have to watch the whole move -- to know where it was going -- before he could begin imitating it.
-----

Re: A fragment from Chapter 1 - robkelk - 04-29-2006

Actually, there's a mention in the part just before the excerpt that she isn't getting it 100% correct, and her style is totally different (she's an acrobat, he's a fighter). It's not quite as impressive a feat when taken in context... Sorry about that.
-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk

Something which may or may not go into Chapter 3 - robkelk - 05-06-2006

Depending on whether Our Intrepid Heroes win or lose at Tartessos, this scene might or might not (respectively) go into Chapter 3...

"Ma'am, since we're going to be heading back to civilization, we should get back into our personas."
"Personas?" I asked.
Hanson made sure the road was clear, then turned his head to look at me. "Grandis, Samson, and I are the Grandis Gang, a small group of ruthless characters who'll do anything if the price is right. At least, that's the image we project. It works for us."
"Ah." I waited for a half-second as Hanson turned back to the road. "You aren't really criminals, are you?"
"I'd prefer to not answer that question," replied Grandis. "Where's my jacket?"
"Right behind you, senorita," answered Samson as he opened what for the life of me had to be a glove compartment in front of him. He reached in and withdrew two pairs of dark glasses, then handed one pair to Hanson. They both put the glasses on.
"Er, guys ... It's night time."
"Image is everything, Sangnoir," was Samson's reply. I knew enough people back home with the same attitude that his comment was enough explanation. But he went on. "Ma'am, since we are heading back to civilization, we'll have to remember to replenish your pipe tobacco. There's only about fifty grams left in what was a hundred-gram bag when we bought it, and that's the only supply we have left."
"Oh, dear ..." I started chuckling.
"What's so funny?" demanded Nadia.
"It's something you'd have to be from my world to appreciate. We're a hundred and six miles from [insert city name here], we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of smokes, it's dark, and they're wearing sunglasses." I turned to Hanson. "Hit it!"

-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk

Re: Something which may or may not go into Chapter 3 - Logan Darklighter - 05-06-2006

(face-palm)
You, sir, are a very, very, bad man. ^_^
I can just see it now - a pair of Gargoyle henchmen/crewmen/what-have-you. They're in an unfortunate spot - like at the business end of one of the Neo Nautilus' main gun blasts during the final space battle - they can see death coming, and they know they're about to buy it, and one of them turns to the other and says, out of the blue, "I've always loved you."
Boom.
-Logan
-----------------
"This kind of thing tends invariably to devolve into the kind of "No, Nakajima, THIS is true power!!" argument that only really works if you're yelling it from the cockpit of a giant robot . . ."
-----------------

Chapter 4 Omake - robkelk - 05-30-2006

Yes, I've been writing scenes for BSBW. Some of them fit into the story better than others.
This particular scene is set during Doug and the Grandis Gang's boarding action on Red Noah - or, rather, it would be if I was going to leave it it. But it's just too fun not to share...

"Our path leads right through that room filled with Neo-Atlantis soldiers. How do we get past them?"
I looked around, noticed a closet marked "Human's Clothing - High Class", and smiled. "I have an idea ..."

The troops were getting bored waiting for deployment orders from Gargoyle or one of his subordinates. Some of them started wishing for something, anything, to happen.
Something did.
Four people, wearing top-hats and tails and carrying canes, walked in through the port-side door and kept walking quickly. They raised their hats and started singing:
""
Then they changed direction again.
""
And they put their hats back on just as they left through the starboard-side door.
The assembled troops gave them a polite round of applause, then went back to waiting for orders.

"I can't believe that worked," breathed Grandis as she removed the jacket she had borrowed.
"I can't believe you got Samson to go along with it," added Hanson, while looking straight at me.

No, I'm not at all ashamed of this...

-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk

Re: Chapter 4 Omake - DHBirr - 05-30-2006

(5 breathless minutes later) I don't think even Imperial Storm Troopers would fall for that one ... but thank you for sharing it.
-----

Re: Chapter 4 Omake - Bob Schroeck - 05-30-2006

Oh, dear gods, I wish that were going in.
People are getting better at writing Doug material than I am. How will I ever compete?
-- Bob
---------
I loot faster. -- Peggy Schroeck, D&D game, in response to a crisis situation that arises while she's searching the bodies of four recent opponents.

Re: Chapter 4 Omake - robkelk - 05-31-2006

Actually, I realized at lunchtime today that I could put the scene in, with a bit of tweaking. Whether I actually will is another question entirely...

-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk

Re: Chapter 4 Omake - Stephen Mann - 05-31-2006

Oh, please do!
Pleasepleaseplease!

Re: Chapter 4 Omake - robkelk - 06-24-2006

Oh, all right - it's in, with a bit of tweaking:
Samson frowned. "There must be over a hundred soldiers in there; too many for me to knock out. You'd better have a pretty big rabbit to pull out of your hat this time, Sangnoir."
A pretty big rabbit, huh? I looked around, noticed a closet marked "Human's Clothing - High Class", and smiled. "I have an idea. I'm going to plant a compulsion in each of your minds so we get the timing right, and another compulsion in the guards' minds so they play along.
--
Rob Kelk

Re: Chapter 4 Omake - Bob Schroeck - 06-26-2006

-- Bob
---------
I loot faster. -- Peggy Schroeck, D&D game, in response to a crisis situation that arises while she's searching the bodies of four recent opponents.