Drunkard's Walk Forums
Thinking of doing a DW fanfic... - Printable Version

+- Drunkard's Walk Forums (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums)
+-- Forum: The Drunkard's Walk (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Forum: General DW Chatter (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: Thinking of doing a DW fanfic... (/showthread.php?tid=7220)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Re: Chapter 4 Omake - DHBirr - 06-27-2006

"Lightning's Hand" can be used to implant mental compulsions?
I think I must be missing something here.
Although this scene really makes me sorry that nobody will likely ever make actual anime of the Drunkard's Walk and Stagger steps.
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

Re: Chapter 4 Omake - robkelk - 06-27-2006

Quote:
"Lightning's Hand" can be used to implant mental compulsions?
My bad - a misreading of a scene from chapter eight of DWII led me to that belief. (Mind you, Bob didn't list Eye in the Sky in the credits for that chapter...)
Note to self: re-write again to use Eye in the Sky instead of Lightning's Hand here, and put the "Doug vs. the silly Neo-Atlantis battlesuits" scene back in...

-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Re: Chapter 4 Omake - Bob Schroeck - 06-27-2006

Quote:
Although this scene really makes me sorry that nobody will likely ever make actual anime of the Drunkard's Walk and Stagger steps.
You know, desktop animation packages are getting better every year...
-- Bob
---------
...The President is on the line
As ninety-nine crab rangoons go by...

Re: Nautilus - DHBirr - 09-21-2006

Quote:
They called their ship the Nautilus. I guess somebody, maybe their captain, was a Jules Verne fan.
It's awfully late to bring this up, since you posted this line back in January, but naming the sub "Nautilus" shouldn't necessarily mean "Verne fan" to Doug. The submarine Robert Fulton built for France in 1800 (the first sub built to a government contract, according to one of my references) was Nautilus, after all.
It's a nit-picky thing, but that's all I'm good for, really.
-----

Re: Nautilus - robkelk - 09-21-2006

Doug's smart, but he doesn't seem to be a history buff (other than history of music, that is). But your point is well-taken... Bob, an official ruling on your character, please?

-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk

Re: Nautilus - Bob Schroeck - 09-21-2006

Mmm. He's more likely to think Verne than Fulton, but might also flash onto the first American nuclear sub, which would make as much sense to him given the apparent tech of the sub bits he gets to see...
-- Bob
---------
...The President is on the line
As ninety-nine crab rangoons go by...

- DHBirr - 12-27-2008

[Image: th_33657_Kasuga_Ayumu-san_2_122_144lo.jpg]
-----

- robkelk - 12-27-2008

Yes, yes, Ayumu-san... here's another teaser for you:

There's making allowances for a young teenager's emotions, and then there's letting a young teenager get away with insulting someone she'd just met. I had to come up with some way to get Nadia to rein in her suspicious nature before she baselessly insulted somebody who isn't as forgiving as I am.

But not now. Right now, Jean was holding on for dear life as I drove down the beach at 30 MPH. "Sir ... can you slow down, please?"

"Jean, we're below 50 km/h." Barely. "You have to have gone faster than this in your aircraft."

"That was in the air! You can't hit anything in the air!"

Slowing down even more would make it silly to have taken the bike, so I decided to use the other method to calm Jean down. "Okay, Jean. Going up!" I switched on the antigrav unit and took us up a dozen feet.

"Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I landed and shut the bike down, and turned around to look at my passenger. He was breathing heavily and was white as a sheet. "Jean. Jean! It's okay -- we're stopped, and on the ground."

"Thank you, sir."

"I'm sorry, Jean. I didn't take you for the type who'd be afraid of speed, or heights."

He shook his head. "I'm not. But I was startled when the motor-cycle felt like it was flat on the ground when it was going up on an angle. How did it do that?"

Jean didn't know enough gravitation theory to understand the full answer to his question, so I gave him the layman's oversimplification. "You remember that I mentioned there's a device in here that creates a standing graviton wave?" Once he nodded, I added, "It also gives the bike its own horizon plane. On this bike, *that* way -" I pointed directly away from the seat. "- is *always* 'up'."

Jean was either calm or over-awed by the bike's tech. "Incredible! Such a device must be a gift from God!"

"One of the gods, yes. Ready to go again?"

--
Rob Kelk

- Star Ranger4 - 12-27-2008

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Perfect, Rob. Perfect.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

- DHBirr - 12-27-2008

Yaaaayyyyy! I knew Ayumu-san would do good work for me!

Quote: I had to come up with some way to get Nadia to rein in her suspicious nature before she baselessly
insulted somebody who isn't as forgiving as I am.
Hmmmm, there's an essential difference between Doug's character and mine: I wouldn't consider myself at all
responsible for the wellbeing of a mouthy girl I'd just met -- and if she insulted me, I might not hurt her myself ("Consider the
source and ignore it," as my father used to say), but I'd be positively looking forward to seeing her do it to someone who'd squish her like a
bug. I'm a very forgiving person ... on Lord Vader's terms. "Apology accepted, Captain."
-----

- robkelk - 12-28-2008

Quote:Yaaaayyyyy! I knew Ayumu-san would do good work for me!
About that...

http://robkelk.ottawa-anime.org/temp/scary.gif]The untranslated line is "big sister's scary"

(The image was on danbooru.donmai.us - this image is safe, but there's a lot of NSFW images on that site.) We now return you to your regularly-scheduled long wait for BSBW updates.

Edit: Changed link to point to a copy of the file on my own site, thus avoiding danbooru altogether.
--
Rob Kelk

- Wiregeek - 12-28-2008

Danbooru = Danger Danger Will Robinson
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies

- Bob Schroeck - 12-28-2008

Oh, nice bit, Rob. You make my mouth water to finally see this story.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

- Bob Schroeck - 12-28-2008

Rob, just started rereading the front end of the thread out of idle interest. Are you still using "Country Roads" for a gate song? Because I got an
idea a couple months ago for someplace it can take him to, and I'd like to know if you're using it to bring him or send him.
-- Bob
---------

- robkelk - 12-28-2008

Nope, "Country Roads" is available.

I've switched the gate song to "Working My Way Back To You" because I can use it as a Checkov's Gun for a plot point...

Edit: And I just right now realized that "Working My Way Back To You" would be a good Gate song for Doug to get to Legion (who's working his way back to his own family). Combine that with Doug discovering the Sailor Jupiter simulacrum in his arsenal and having no idea who she is, and Doug apparently re-learning about the Sailor Senshi in Step 10, this pretty much makes BSBW Step 9.99... unless you have an objecton to that.
--
Rob Kelk

- robkelk - 12-28-2008

Quote:Danbooru = Danger Danger Will Robinson
Oh, yes. Definitely.

(I was looking for Mahoromatic images, found a few on danbooru, and quickly discovered that the site hosts many, many, many images that Mahoro Thinks Are Bad.

But this one's okay...
--
Rob Kelk

- Bob Schroeck - 12-29-2008

Quote:his pretty much makes BSBW Step 9.99... unless you have an objecton to that.
None at all.
-- Bob
---------

- DHBirr - 12-30-2008

Quote: The image is on danbooru.donmai.us - this image is safe, but there's a lot of NSFW images on that site.

Hmmm. I don't know why, especially since the comments suggest that the other guys have looked at it, but when I click that link I get an error message:
"Forbidden 403." Whatever the Warp that means. My computer has cheerfully taken me to sites that caused me to back away,
pale and shaking, "Oops that definitely is not what I wanted to see," so it's not as if my protective settings, if I even have
any active, are rejecting Danbooru.

Showing once again how not-with-it I am, it took me nearly a full minute to remember hearing about Mahoro's catch phrase regarding
ecchi things. (Yet another anime I haven't seen. I'm retired -- because it sounds nicer than "unemployed" -- so I can't afford to pick up
most of these anime about which I hear such great things.)
-----

- robkelk - 12-30-2008

It seems danbooru sometimes doesn't like people linking directly to their images... http://robkelk.ottawa-anime.org/temp/scary.gif]Here's a copy on my site, and I've edited my earlier post to point to that one.
--
Rob Kelk

- DHBirr - 12-31-2008

Mooses gracious.

She ... she hit Osaka.

Apropos of nothing, are you still interested in images of nekomimi-Haruhi? I ask because I came across one I at least found quite funny. Depending on how
uptight your supervisor/coworkers are, it may be NSFW, especially since the artist, ahem, "enhanced" Haruhi's bust (I don't
think adult Mikuru has that much of a bosom!) and the bikini she's almost wearing shows it off and then some. But Kyon's plight
strikes me as hilarious.
-----

- robkelk - 12-31-2008

Oh, sure I'm interested in Haruhi fanart. (Not as interested as I am in Mikuru fanart, but Haruhi's certainly cute enough.) And I'm on vacation for
the rest of the calendar year and a few days after that, so I don't need to worry about the co-workers just now...
--
Rob Kelk

- DHBirr - 12-31-2008

Here you go, then. If you like, you can think of it as a reward for that snippet of BSBW. (Pavlovian training.) But really, I've had it for a while and only just today remembered to ask if you wanted it.
 [Image: th_95912_Poor_Kyon-Mouse1_123_481lo.jpg]
-----

- deadpan29 - 01-05-2009

I got the second half of Nadia for Christmas this year, and then stumbled across this, which I hadn't seen before. Some somewhat pointless thoughts:

If you are still planning on using the "Count" joke, the original tends to name what he is counting at each interval. I.e. "Klong... One! One
numb-skull knock! AhAhAh! Klong... Two! Two numb-skull knocks! AhAhAh"

You had a bit on gender confusion when Ayerton is describing the "kings of terror". The Japanese word he uses in that scene for Grandis is
"maho" which can be translated as witch, sorcerer, etc. It doesn't have a gender specifically, but the images shown from the kid's
imaginations are of a female hag of some sort. The English dub uses the word "witch" which, of course indicates a female. Then again, they are
supposedly speaking French at this point, so I don't have a clue how that would translate.
----------
No, I don't believe the world has gone mad.  In order for it to go mad it would need to have been sane at some point.

- robkelk - 01-05-2009

French nouns have their own gender, usually only tangentally connected to the items they name. My French/English dictionary is on my desk at the office;
I'll have to look up "witch", "mage", and "sorceror" once I'm back there (later this week) to find out those words'
genders...
--
Rob Kelk

- Bob Schroeck - 01-06-2009

My French-English dictionary happens to be within arm's length, so I'm a-lookin' it up for you.

Witch: Sorcière
Mage: not specifically in my dictionary, but "magi" is mages, which implies the singular would be mage; there is also magicien for "magician".
Sorceror: Sorcièr (which means "witch" and "sorceress" are the same word in French)
-- Bob
---------