Drunkard's Walk Forums
Here we go again... - Printable Version

+- Drunkard's Walk Forums (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums)
+-- Forum: General (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Other People's Fanfiction (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+---- Forum: Hangar 13 (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=36)
+---- Thread: Here we go again... (/showthread.php?tid=7837)

Here we go again... - Black Aeronaut - 12-13-2005

Now, I haven't really played any of the Halo games, but I have read the Novelisations, 'The Fall of Reach' and 'First Strike' which takes place before the first game, and before the second game, respectively.
I can already tell you that this setup trips my sensitivity of nihilism.
So, I'm thinking about changing things up just a scoach. Reach is more than just a Big Ass Military Base, it's also the seat of all military research. Throw in a touch of Sliders for the science experiment that brings in our boy, only one of the lead scientists is a fellow named Dr. Emilio Lizardo.
Yeah, I know. I'm a sick puppy.
Before Emilio got what he got in the begining of Buckaroo Banzai he was a very decent fellow - had a wife and kid and all. Same applies here, only he doesn't get messed up. Ergo, he feels so terrible for the guy that he starts using his clearances to call in some help.
Of course, there were moral concerns...
"Emilio, this is a human being we're talking about here!"
"I know he is, but if we do not do this then all he will be is the largest living collection of scar tissue. Is that any sort of life for a human to live?"
"But how do you know this is the right thing to do?"
"You go in there and look in his eyes. That boy's lucky to still have at least that!"
With the interested assistance of Dr. Halsey and a few others (at this time I haven't figured out who yet) they save the poor sap by making him into the first ever full conversion cyborg.
Of course, thay had to get approval from the government, and of course, they want a return on their investment.
"Dr. Lizardo, you do realize that even with the help of the Spartans we will most likely not win this war?"
"The thought has crossed my mind."
"Then you'll understand why we are conscripting... Mr. Rhodes, was it? ...into the UNSC and assigning you and your team to a new project."
"But what about Rhodes? What do you intend to do with him?"
"Relax Dr. Lizardo. He will be your guinea pig for Project MANTICOR."
Dr. Halsey never really learns of this part... Until, that is, the Covenant arrive at Reach.
Project MANTICOR's prototype was ready for field testing (all lab tests had gone fairly well) and in a last ditch effort to keep that advanced cybertechnology out of Covenant hands, one last Pelican dropship, loaded with the Project MANTICOR prototype and key hardware rendevous with the Pillar of Autumn before her escape.
Thoughts anyone?-NeoRaven
"I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity." -Edgar Allen Poe
Sponsored by Black Aeronaut Technologies -
Aerospace solutions for the discerning spacer.-NeoRaven

Aerospace solutions for the discerning spacer.

Re: Here we go again... - WengFook - 12-13-2005

*apprehensively asks*
uhh.... right... so... what is project MANTICOR?_____________________________
HK-47: "Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds"

Re: Here we go again... - classicdrogn - 12-13-2005

If I'm understandng the setup right, it's a full-borg version of Marvel's War Machine armor...
- CDThat which does not kill us... has made its last mistake.
SERVO: Loook *deeeeply* into my eyes... Tell me, what do you see?
CROW: (hypnotized) A twisted man who wants to inflict his pain upon others.
" It's crazy to try to spell out all the mega-nooks and hyper-crannies of a Borg contrivance." - Doug Drexler
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

Re: Here we go again... - Black Aeronaut - 12-14-2005

Pretty much, though with this guy armor kinda becomes redundant.
It's the setup you guys see in Gaurdian Angel. Yes, the pinpoint system too... the character, being me and having seen Robotech, goes, "Gee, if you guys can make a shield wrap around a body like that, then why can't you..." Which is about where all the eggheads look at him with slackjawed 'now why didn't I think of that' looks. He sure as hell keeps his yap shut about knowing most of everything that's going on - the ONI would lock him up for good no matter which egghead says what.
I kinda know what some of you guys are thinking - where the hell is all this equipment going? Well, on the human body, the entire torso is more-or-less devoted to the support and upkeep of the entire body. Take away all organic matter but the brain itself (whose needs really aren't all that great in the big picture) and the space you need for life support becomes very small. So there'd be plenty of room for a power core (similar to the one on the MJOLNER armor), and a primary and secondary shield generator units, as well as storage for consumables.
His main weapon is a set of monomolecular blades that our character has taken to calling 'Wolvers' for obvious reasons. That, coupled with his shielding system, and his myomer articulation system, make him worthy of the name Manticor.
Also, he'll have an on-board AI as well. I'm tentatively calling her Aki for now. She wouldn't be anything like Cortana, who's primary role is systems infiltration, inteligence, and counter-inteligence. Instead, she'd be a tactical analyst who'd help him coordinate his efforts with a much larger force - in short, a digital general. Thought patterns from a myriad of succesful commanders, including Vice Admiral Danforth Whitcomb and Captain Jacob Keys.
I don't intend to make a Marty Susolov here... Like I said, the character is me, ergo he'll have a lot of my own faults. For example...
"Aww, shit! (call me butterfingers...) Look out below!"
And...
"Rhodes, aren't you forgetting something?"
"Hmm? Let's see... Got this, got that... Oh shit."
And let's not forget that he's the prototype, too. There's gonna be a bug or two that needs to get tweaked out along the way such as somthing triggers neural feedback in his system, or a failure in his shielding system (which, if it were an actual part of Halo, could make for an interesting sequence to play through).-NeoRaven
Aerospace solutions for the discerning spacer.-NeoRaven

Aerospace solutions for the discerning spacer.