Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A little crowdsourcing
A little crowdsourcing
I'm already using "À Tout le Monde (Set Me Free)" by Megadeth... but what other songs might be worth trying to snap the leash holding Moaning Myrtle to her bathroom?
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
RE: A little crowdsourcing
Hmmmmm... Off the top of my head, I'd be tempted to try The Beatles' She's Leaving Home... and have it fail, because it isn't a very good match.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
I can't really think of anything... maybe a protest song of some kind.

.... Freebird?

(ducks and runs)
--
‎noli esse culus
Another not-quite-apporpiate possibility: The Finale from "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum".
The "FREE" chorus fits, but the comedy aspect clashes with Myrtle's situation
(08-05-2019, 08:13 PM)nemonowan Wrote: Another not-quite-apporpiate possibility: The Finale from "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum".
On the other hand, that might Exactly what she needs to break her away from her situation.
That is a good point - all there is to a ghost is mindset, with fear or unwillingness to move on from the life they knew as a defining feature in the lore, so if you want to change her situation Myrtle herself probably has to change. The trick is doing it without banishing her entirely, I expect.
--
‎noli esse culus
Thanks, folks.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(08-05-2019, 08:13 PM)nemonowan Wrote: Another not-quite-apporpiate possibility: The Finale from "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum".

A better one would be "Free" from the original broadway. Here's the Nathan Lane version:

EDIT: Since Doug has been traveling prior to 1997, he might not know that version, so here is the original, with the inestimable Zero Mostel:

Actually, Doug was kicked out of Warriors' World in 1998. But that doesn't matter because by DW8 he has music in his helmet ranging from approximately 1250 BC to the 25th century (at least). He's got a lot of stuff that didn't yet or never would exist in WW.
-- Bob

(08-07-2019, 11:46 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Actually, Doug was kicked out of Warriors' World in 1998.  But that doesn't matter because by DW8 he has music in his helmet ranging from approximately 1250 BC to the 25th century (at least).  He's got a lot of stuff that didn't yet or never would exist in WW.

Hmm, for some reason, I thought it was 1993. No idea why. So, I suppose it is a matter of taste on the part of the author. Smile

Fun fact: The part of Marcus Liccus, played by Phil Silvers in the film version of "A Funny Thing..." was played on stage by John Carradine. Which is a bit of a disconnect, personally, given Carradine's long history of horror movies.
Two suggestions:

Richie Havens's Freedom

Everybody Rejoice (Brand New Day) from The Wiz

Oh, wow, hadn't thought of either of those. Thanks!
-- Bob

How about Born Free?
(08-07-2019, 11:46 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Actually, Doug was kicked out of Warriors' World in 1998.  But that doesn't matter because by DW8 he has music in his helmet ranging from approximately 1250 BC to the 25th century (at least).  He's got a lot of stuff that didn't yet or never would exist in WW.
He's got a recording of Ogg chanting Stories of the Hunt while he is banging two rocks together?

You're probably talking about the Original Christmas Carol from on high...
Er... 1250 BCE might or might not be a couple of centuries too early for the lyre (depending on where one was), but horns such as the shofar existed back then.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Sistrum, too.  What's more, just because he recorded it in his helmet doesn't require that it be music he can use.  He might keep as a memento something a friend of his sang.  (This could serve as a narrative flourish, when in another situation someone thinks a certain song, judging by its title, could be useful, and Doug has to explain that no, this particular music is either all instrumental or all vocal, and he only preserves it because it was his dear friend's favorite tune.)

-----
Considering that one dictionary definition of "carry on" is to "behave or speak in a foolish, excited, or improper manner," the designers of that famous poster, "Keep Calm and Carry On," need to make up their flippin' minds!
1250 BC: In a bit of nanoStep which is part of the Walk's official itinerary, Doug was adopted into a Midianite tribe by its leader, Jethro, after he saved the life of Jethro's daughter Tzipporah. A few years later he ended up best buds with Tzipporah's husband. He has recordings of music made by various members of the tribe, as well as a song (the lyrics of which he turned out to already know) written by Zippy's sister-in-law.

That should be enough to let you figure out more specifics. <grin>
-- Bob

So I guess timbrels are enough to count as instrumental accompaniment.
Doug realizes who his new brother-in-law-to-be is: "Funny, you don't look like Charlton Heston...."

-----
God made me an agnostic — who are you to question His wisdom?
Heh. In that timeline, Doug actually gives him the name "Moses" as a nickname (for "Setmose") before he realizes. Epic level facepalm, much later.

And now, thanks to DHBirr, I can see Doug annoying Tzipporah one afternoon when he's out, by doing his Edward G. Robinson impression: "Where's your Moses now? Where's your Moses now?" <grin>
-- Bob

Or the 'Moses supposes his poses are roses' sketch/song?

Not sure how that translates to ancient Hebrew/Coptic though.
I suppose it'll come as no surprise that I have a dev file for this not-really-ever-to-be-written story.

In it is the following passage:

Doug and Setmose bond and become close as
true brothers, through several wacky adventures including a day
when Moses accidentally ingests the local equivalent of jimson
weed and is convinced for nearly 24 hours that his feet are
flowering plants.

But let me note that we are now wildly off-topic for this particular board, not to mention the thread.
-- Bob

Better be careful somebody doesn't report the digression to an admin... Smile

Anyway.

I don't know whether any of these are any good - I just did a search for "songs about leaving a place", and these results came up on the first page.

Carly Jamison: 20 Essential Songs For A Packing Up And Moving Out Playlist
PopMatters: The 10 Best Songs About New Beginnings
Billboard - Dance: 15 Songs About Saying Goodbye
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
"How Can I Help You Say Goodbye" might work. It's debatable, 'cause I don't think it really fits the circumstances, but when I didn't see it on any of the playlists Rob's most recent post offered, I thought I should mention it anyway. The attempt to give comfort appealed to me despite the overall heartbreaking nature of the song. I envisioned Doug hugging Myrtle as she gently fades out of existence ... and when she's gone, he wipes tears from his face and goes to do a bit of therapeutic bad-guy-stomping. It's likely a very bad day to be a Death Eater.... 

[Annoyingly, none of the lyrics sites provided any kind of punctuation besides apostrophes.]
Through the back window of our '59 wagon
I watched my best friend Jamie slipping further away
I kept on waving till I couldn't see her
And through my tears I asked again why we couldn't stay
Mama whispered softly time will ease your pain
Life's about changing nothing ever stays the same
And she said how can I help you to say goodbye it's okay to hurt and it's okay to cry
Come let me hold you and I will try how can I help you to say goodbye

I sat on our bed he packed his suitcase I held a picture of our wedding day
His hands were trembling we both were crying
He kissed me gently and then he quickly walked away
I called up mama and she said time will ease your pain
She said how can I help you to say goodbye it's okay to hurt and it's okay to cry

Sitting with mama alone in her bedroom
She opened her eyes and then squeezed my hand
She said I have to go now my time here is over
And with her final words she tried to help me understand
Mama whispered softly time will ease your pain
And she said how can I help you to say goodbye it's okay to hurt and it's okay to cry
-----
"The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that this was some killer weed."
Thanks. I'll have to check everything out tonight after I get home from work.
-- Bob