Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"You Learn Something New Every Day" Dept.
"You Learn Something New Every Day" Dept.
So... Peg and I were down at Alison and John's place in West Virginia this weekend.  (For those of you playing "Bob's Life Warriors Bingo", that's Ai Jiao Min and Skitz/Major Kanis.)  Late Saturday night, Alison was talking about her writing (Nanowrimo and a couple other projects), and it eventually led into something along the lines of "oh yeah, Bob writes, but he doesn't talk about it; but we really should talk shop".  Those weren't her words, and it didn't get expressed that succinctly, but yeah, that's what it was.

So I discussed the Walk with her (and everyone else there) over the table, and I brought up how I covered the Warriors, and mentioned how I referenced Ai Jiao Min.  Alison's face got blank for a moment, then her eyes got wide as she said, "I'd forgotten about Ai Jiao Min" (which is understandable because I think her last Warriors session was something like 20 years ago), and then she started laughing.  She finally explained why -- when she created the character she was drawing a blank on a codename for her, and in desperation called her "I Have A Name" in whichever Chinese language it was.  Which admission got the rest of us laughing as well.

If I'm lucky, any readers I might have who speak that particular language hopefully thought I mangled a transliteration, or it was something in a different Chinese language entirely...
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
RE: "You Learn Something New Every Day" Dept.
So, you have another trope for the DW page on ATT.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
OI! The pair of ye. Nostrils. Pain. Ye did it. Shame on ye!
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to rock the sky?
Thats' every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry!
NO QUARTER!

No Quarter by Echo's Children
(02-03-2020, 09:03 AM)robkelk Wrote: So, you have another trope for the DW page on ATT.

I suppose I do...

Edit: And I just came up with an Author's Saving Throw. She's a mage. Obviously she's protecting her True Name. <grin>
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....