Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quotes to hang a story on
RE: Quotes to hang a story on
(08-11-2020, 05:18 PM)Dartz Wrote: "Fenspace doesn't run on truth. Fenspace runs on stories. Some people want stories about heroes, and not victims. Some people want victims, and not heroes.

But when things go wrong, the only story that matters to anyone is who's to blame. Because good stories also need bad villains."

--Maybe I'm getting too cynical these days.

Yeah, maybe. There are still people who want uplifting stories.

They might even be in the majority, considering what percentage of the newer (as in "released in the last decade") anime have protagonists who triumph over adversity rather than being crushed by it.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
I don't know what I'm trying to get at - maybe a certain despair.

Why was the reactor accident at Frigga really covered up? How did they feel? What contributed to them feeling that way? What happens afterwards.

There's a lot I want to say with no idea how to. About how cliqueish fandom is - willing to cover the crimes of the 'in' while calling for the punishment of the 'out'. And Jet doesn't fit in....

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
"The last several decades have been breathtaking to live through.

Space travel in and out of our solar system. Amazing inventions both with and without handwavium. Even a war where not just right and wrong, but 'good' and 'evil' were clearly defined like few times in recent memory.

But it is that first point - space travel - that is most important. Not just for the Convention, but for humankind as a whole.

Our homeworld, our place of birth, is changing. This is nothing new, it has always been happening. This is simply the first time humans have been able to acknowledge as well as understand said changes.

And we now have an opportunity as well.

In every previous great change of our world, much has been lost. The ecosystems, the very biospheres that sustain our lives, are altered. The ancient man at the end of the last ice age anywhere on the planet would find a much different world today in the exact same place than he would have found familiar.

This is why the people of Oceania have chosen Hawaiki. The world orbiting 85 Pegasus A is a young one. It has some primitive life, but is otherwise a blank canvas, a tabula rasa.

Or put more accurately, a garden awaiting its planting.

We choose to save our beloved world by building it anew. With our own hands in the present we will grow the future by transforming our virgin world into a tribute to our past one, so that those generations to come will be able to appreciate their predecessors' legacy and thrive there.

It will take time and effort. But we are not afraid of hard work.

- Chief Representative of the nascent Commonwealth of the Pacific, 2020 UN-FC Interstellar Colonization Conference, Marduk City, Luna
“In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” – Napoleon Bonaparte
“They opened up a can’a dumbass!” – Jon Stewart regarding Fox News, The Daily Show with Jon Stewart
“Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself.” – Harvey Fierstein
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to rock the sky?
Thats' every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry!
NO QUARTER!

No Quarter by Echo's Children
*laughs* Yeah, the Polynesians are reconnecting with their roots, so to speak.

Commonwealth of the Pacific (colonists drawn from):
1. Commonwealth of Australia
2. Realm of New Zealand
3. Republic of Palau
4. Republic of Indonesia
5. Republic of Vanuatu
6. Republic of Kiribati
7. Republic of Equatorial Guinea
8. Republic of Guinea
9. Republic of Guinea-Bissau
10. Independent State of Papua New Guinea
11. Democratic Republic of Timor-Leste
12. Republic of Mali
13. Independent State of Samoa
14. Republic of the Philippines
15. Republic of Fiji
16. Republic of the Solomon Islands
17. Republic of the Marshall Islands
18. Federated States of Micronesia
“They opened up a can’a dumbass!” – Jon Stewart regarding Fox News, The Daily Show with Jon Stewart
“Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself.” – Harvey Fierstein
I couldn't resist adding it...

"There are more stars in the sky than grains of sand on earth." - Snapple "Real Fact" #1440
lines from a fic that stuck with me...

"She was tired of burning bridges to light her path."

"She wasn’t staring daggers, but maybe eyeballing baseball bats."
What was the fic? Google has apparently decided that "this exact word or phrase" means "something vaguely like this phrase" now, so trying to search for the burning bridges quote just turns up a bunch of "what does it mean to burn bridges" and "never burn bridges - except..." etc. If there was even one "we'll burn that bridge when we've crossed it" I could forgive a little, but as it is my rage simply burns with no bridge to the sought after destination in sight.
--
‎noli esse culus
my family doesn't just burn bridges, we nuke the bastards and then [expletive] on the ashes
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd

*grumble*  It was a She-Ran fanfic (2018), but going back through it, not the one I thought it was.  It was modern AU, with Catra being the one with the quote.  I'll see if I can remember exactly where it came from...

*edit* well, my memory must be going (with my hair...)  This fanfic New Foundations is the most likely origin and I conflated the quote with another fic.
"I heard some people talking about Immanentizing the Eschaton," said Shinji. "I did that once. It wasn't nice."

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

Today we answer a question that has dogged science for decades. Is it possible to water-ski behind an Ekranoplan?

You mean, The MAGI have been deliberately creating system faults, allowing breakdowns and giving us problems to solve - so everyone would feel valuable and fulfilled by solving them?

The system treated the residents as a functional part, and learned how best to optimise their efficiency and reliability.

"I'm the only mage within a hundred years and three thousand miles of this place."
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
"Being told to be 'open minded' about something is usually a code for 'you're not going to like this, but I want to subject you to it anyway'. Conversely, being told that you are 'closed-minded' is generally a means of asserting that 'I don't like the fact that you're proving me wrong, so I will pretend that your failure to agree with my argument is a philosophical deficiency'." - RationalWiki
"Consider your response wisely. This ship has the capability to launch nuclear missiles"

"Will you stop fucking telling people that..."

"It does. I never said we had any."

"You'll cause a bloody panic."

<applause>
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
"I know I lost a part of myself - I'm not the same person I was before and it's not a comfortable thought. But I gained a whole other person, someone I love and who loves me and who makes every day a little bit better. I thought, that's a fair trade."

"But here is the thing... that Filk was recorded a good 10 years before Handwavium ever appeared."
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to rock the sky?
Thats' every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry!
NO QUARTER!

No Quarter by Echo's Children
"The plane was a necessity - a tool to meet an end, to do a job worth more than it cost to run, day-in, day out without complaint like a thousand other jumbos had done until finally it got to old to work and got cut up and turned into coke cans.

And with it came the right and privilege to never, ever have to answer another bloody Stingray email again."

"NOT THE /b/!  NOT THE /b/!  AAAAGGGGHHHH!!!"
/b/ still exists?

-----

"Jet slept for the first time in months. Jet woke with a thundering headache, a vague memory of a dream involving a naked A.C. Peters getting annoyed at having to wait for her in an underwater Antarctic base, and a hundred notifications begging for her attention, some of which had already resolved themself once people realised she wouldn’t answer."

"What happened to you?"

"I just learned the hard way to never let any amount of handwavium come anywhere near any kind of Internet drama!"

"...Dear God."
TEXTS MY FATHER SENT THAT CAN ALSO BE MICROFICTION
by MERYL CATES
- No parking. Jump in. There’s cops.
- Fixed it. That gurgling is normal.
- We’re fine. There’s ice cream here.
- It’s clean. Don’t tell your mom.
- That’s what your husband is for.
- She followed my coffee splatter trail.
- Be safe out there. Love always.
- Don’t cry. She’s not worth it.
from here.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
"Being told to be 'open minded' about something is usually a code for 'you're not going to like this, but I want to subject you to it anyway'. Conversely, being told that you are 'closed-minded' is generally a means of asserting that 'I don't like the fact that you're proving me wrong, so I will pretend that your failure to agree with my argument is a philosophical deficiency'." - RationalWiki
Fragments of what I'm working on:

-----

Now tell me Jet, do you always wear a spacesuit like that?”

Her muse pegged him as a popular avgeek out of Hong Kong. Her jaw opened slightly, her mind taking a few moments to catch up.

“Don’t you know? Earth’s a dangerous place,” she said

He laughed at that old joke. Or at least, pretended to.

----

(One of course, remembers the first episode of Bubblegum Crisis.)

I'm kind of trying to do something 'happy'. I've no-one to show it to anymore.

"And now, class, let me tell you the story, and my first-hand experience, of the military operation that single-handedly, and accidentally, led both the Hague and Geneva Conventions to explicitly declare the weaponization of cringe to be both a war crime and a crime against humanity."