Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[OOC] Who's still here?
[OOC] Who's still here?
I've been being a team player lately, writing only in corners where what I do isn't going to have too much impact on whatever the other writers have planned.

But that begs the question: Are there any other writers left, or is it just me and BA?

Because if I don't need to take into account other people's plans when I write, then I have a much wider canvas and can start pushing the main story forward.

So... Who's still here?
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Well, there's me of course. Still taking blows to the groin courtesy of Life's hitmen; Murphy and Misfortune. :p

I'm reading, at least. Maybe one of these days I'll be ready to submit the stuff I'd worked out with several bunches of BLEACH characters (and at least one contingent from Soul Eater).

I've been ready but not a very productive (or consistent) writer

(looks at pile of half-written fanfic)
(looks at work schedule)
(looks at wrist that was sprained/broken earlier this week)

I haven't been particularly productive or consistent lately, myself... but we can offer suggestions if you want advice.
--
Rob Kelk

What Rob said. Even if you guys are submitting WIP snippets, or even random wild ideas, it at least makes this place a bit more lively.

by 'inconsistent' I mean my muse wanders off in the middle of Story A then comes back days later with an idea for an entire different Story B.  Tongue
And then she responds to attempts to continue on the first story with "What Story A?"
It gets quite frustrating.  I've got 4 different story segments laying around, just for the Universiad project on Spacebattles, plus a couple of old Fenspace ideas that I never completed.

I've found that writing down and sharing plot ideas sometimes helps mitigate (not cure) a muse's case of ADD...
--
Rob Kelk

Yeah, like I said, just posting WIP snippets would be nice. Because if you're stuck the rest of us can kick in ideas to get you unstuck.

I have written the same scene three times over and lost the file three times over

Sexaroids. Meet Android. Data....

That is annoying, I know.

Save early, save often...
--
Rob Kelk

Oh it's saved...

It's lost in the traditional sense as in I can't remember where it's saved.....

This is one of the reasons I use Apache svn to track everything I write. It forces me to keep everything in a clearly demarcated folder structure, so I don't end up dropping files in a dozen different places. (Naming the root folder for my writing "Fiction", though, was a bad idea, given that I'm now putting non-fiction stuff in it...)
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Re: [OOC] Who's still here?
Still around working on a post that I hope to have up this weekend

RE: [OOC] Who's still here?
I have rough CD raft for about 5 pages and my second groups arrival, real life has kept me on mobile devices for the last couple months though. Still here just frustrated.
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd

Labster, tadaima sanjou!

I've got a couple more sections of story ready to go, I just have one story in-between left to write.  At least 30kB written and revised are waiting on that part.  The major sticking point for me is that my well of creativity is shared between programming and writing, and only one of those pays the bills.  But I'm looking forward to working with you all.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Good to have you, I'm still here but a new story has stolen my muse's attention.
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd

I'm sitting here having a hard time coming up with plots beyond "We're here having a good time with fictional characters in reality".

I took some time to set up a problem - something that'd be a natural consequence of naivite mixed with some messing around - a consequence of a risk that was taken. The problem was then conveniently erased, rather than dealt with as a challenge.

I'm having a hard time coming up with ideas for things that can't be conveniently swatted away by other PC individuals far more powerful than they are.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
Sorry about that. The problem you set up was one that triggered reactions amongst other groups, and the way your SI announced it gave everybody else a reason to swoop in right away. Can you blame us? I thought you were asking us to get involved.

Ideas, ideas...

If I recall correctly, I believe your group is all AIs that look human. (And all but one are young sexy females - Washuu-chan doesn't care a bit about how that makes the one male look, but your neighbours might.) What happens if they find out about that warehouse in Boston where all the dangerous AIs are locked up?

You've put together a band. On recordings, they're okay; in person, they're mesmerizing. Do the girls want to become better than okay in the studio? If they do, how do they do that? The girls would have to learn to keep their mesmeric abilities turned off if they want anything useful from a teacher. (Usually, the quest for knowledge is "how do we do this"; changing that to "how do we stop doing this" is somewhat rarer - and I've already set the precedent that Washuu-chan refuses to help with removing abilities.)

What happens when somebody thinks she's found True Love?
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
It's something that bugged me, but I never actually understood why until recently. It's not that people came to solve the problem, it's that Washuu-chan functioned almost as a deus-ex machina to the problem I created.

It wasn't until I finished the reactor thing in Fenspace that I really understood why it didn't sit right. It wasn't just about control or collaboration or anyone overstepping their bounds - it's that, for the level of trouble I can think of - of the sort of things the girls can get themselves into, there isn't much that Washuu can't undo

Anyway, I was pondering on taking the girls on the road and building a career for them instead - perhaps with Data as 'manager' because he's just about the only person not affected by them. The sort of hassle that's beneath Washuu, perhaps.

They're also unexpetedly free'd - and as Sylvie has showin in the original animé, can be surprisingly vicious when nobody's watching. (and not just the whole vampire thing).

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
Yeah they are a bit amoral, but that is because they never learned morality except as an abstract. Right now I'm having issues with a distracted muse, maybe if I can get what I have already written typed up.
Currently writing BROBd

Dartz Wrote:I'm sitting here having a hard time coming up with plots beyond "We're here having a good time with fictional characters in reality".
Ah yes, basically my entire plot idea lol.  Take one slice of life series, and combine it with another slice of life, and what do you get?  I'm waiting for other people to come up with the main plot, and maybe I'll tag along.

For the initial storylines, I'm just going to be dealing with the trials of the refugee experience.  I suppose I should do a little more research as to what that's actually like in real life, but it's a quite bit different in this case.  None of the characters will suffer hunger, violence, or the kind of economic insecurity of real-life refugees.  By transporting groups, they have the core of their emotional support networks intact.  On the other hand, it's not an ordinary immigrant experience either -- they've been forcibly removed from their homes, and there is no way to return, or to even contact friends or family left behind.  They've lost the majority of their possessions, and have to learn to live and work in a foreign land.

For the kind of soft series I'm writing, that's plenty of drama for now.  The blows aren't anything above what the characters could handle.  Chiyo-chan was going to America anyway, and all of them would be moving out for college.  (Sakaki won't be doing vet school, as Vet Med comes after a bachelor's degree in the U.S.)  Akari was actually a canon immigrant with very few Earthly possessions, so she'll be fine.

As for Dartz' problem, perhaps just have Washuu unavailable for a while?  Cell phones could completely destroy plots, especially in horror genre, so maybe the cell phone just doesn't work, or it's "out of range".   Apply the same principle to Washuu -- the attention of the greatest scientist who ever lived is as valuable as it is whimsical.  And there's plenty of ordinary trouble one can get into on the internet, like trolling all of Reddit siumultaneously, hacking the Gibson, or taking a majority share of a cryptocoin by CPU power.  Even if Washuu can undo most of the long-term effects, it can be pretty troublesome in the meantime.

(The answer is two slices of life, obviously.)
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
I really don't know, I've gotten kind of distracted by a lot of other things the last few months. If someone wants to lay claim to any of the characters I was using feel free, I never posted any actual story for them anyway.

I might try to pick this up if I can think of a good hook for a small group and the right group to bait it with....
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.