Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[IC][Story][Arc 1] Rob and Brent's as-yet-untitled sidestory (Rob's #10, Brent's TBD)
RE: [IC][Story][Arc 1] Rob and Brent's as-yet-untitled sidestory (Rob's #10, Brent's TBD)
(Sorry about how brief this is. I've been away from my usual computer this week...)

Billings Bridge Shopping Centre, Ottawa, ON, Canada
Saturday, January 14, 2017
10:12 AM ET

Mimi walked down the middle of the mall's hallway, looking at the stores that were on either side. She began to realize that Minako was right - there was nothing in the way of decent fashion here, just utilitarian shops and stores that screamed "I'm part of a chain!"

She was about to give up and head downtown when she saw it: a coat in basic black with orange trim. Yes, it was Mimete's colour scheme, but she knew that deep down Mimete was Mimi - at least when it came to fashion. She had to have it. (Then she could give Konori-san back the coat she'd borrowed. It was a warm coat, and she appreciated that, but she thought it fit her like a tent around the chest, no matter what Mr. Donaldson said. Disliking not being the best was another thing Mimi shared with Mimete, so she didn't like the reminder.) She went into the store.

"Excuse me, is that coat available in a size... Oh, I don't know what the sizes are here in North America."

The woman behind the counter smiled. "We'll just need to take your measurements, then." And she proceeded to do that, quite thoroughly and professionally. "Whereabouts are you from?" she asked while measuring Mimi's arm.

"Tokyo."

"I've never been to Japan. What's it like?"

Mimi thought for a quick moment - she had no idea whether her homeworld's Japan was the same as this world's. Then she remembered seeing "GALS!" among the manga in the apartment's common room, and the scenes she'd glanced at in that story certainly looked like her world's version of Shibuya. She decided to take a chance on all three worlds' Japan's being similar. "For one thing, it's warmer than Ottawa!"

They both laughed.

Thirty-five minutes later, Mimi had a sheet of paper that listed all of her sizes except for her shoe size, the beginning of a wardrobe - the coat, a pair of black slacks, an orange pullover sweater, and an everyday dress in red and white - and the store clerk's recommendation of where to buy shoes and jewelry that would match the outfits.

Visiting the shoe store (and filling in that last size on her sheet), she quickly realized that the advice she'd been given was good. It took her twenty minutes to choose a pair of winter boots and a pair of low-heeled shoes, both in black leather that matched both the coat and the slacks.

The jewelry would have to wait; the cash that Mimi had borrowed from Mr. Donaldson was running low, and she couldn't find work without some ID. Also, it was getting close to noon, and that's when they expected their visitors to start arriving. Time to head back home.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown

Messages In This Thread
RE: [IC][Story][Arc 1] Rob and Brent's as-yet-untitled sidestory (Rob's #10, Brent's TBD) - by robkelk - 07-06-2019, 04:39 PM