Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blue-sky thinking: Why not split the USA?
Blue-sky thinking: Why not split the USA?
May as well start this in Politics...

I call this sort of thing "blue-sky thinking" because it's pretty close to having my head in the clouds, except that I've actually given some thought to it.

Why not split the USA? It isn't as if you've been "United" since the Clinton Presidency.

Yes, I know - you had a war about this over a century and a half ago. But that was when the Whigs were still a viable political party. Things change.

There's this recent suggestion, and this de facto one from when Obama was elected President. It's remarkable how similar they are.

In both cases, the "left coast" goes its own way (maybe keeping Hawaii) with a left-leaning government; New England, New York, New Jersey, Virginia, and all states that border the Great Lakes (and maybe Iowa and Minnesota) become another country living under the old "Yankee" stereotype which quickly adapts to modern reality; and there's a big stretch of conservatism between them in the middle of the continent.

If this is going to happen, I can't see Texas not becoming its own country. (They already have a flag.) Maybe Utah, too. And Alaska would have reason to become its own country as well. Heck, Minnesota might decide to go it alone. If Hawaii doesn't join the "left coast", they they'd probably be independent, too.

There's an outside chance that Maine might possibly maybe decide to join Canada... but even I think that's unlikely.

I'm not sure what would happen in New Mexico and Arizona. (Or, for that matter, in Alberta; they might decide to join that mid-continent conservative country.)

Sure, there'd be pockets of people in each new country who would have preferred to live in one of the other countries. There's historical precedent for that, and a matching historical solution.

So... am I coming up with an alternate history setting here, or a reasonable political suggestion?
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown

Messages In This Thread
Blue-sky thinking: Why not split the USA? - by robkelk - 05-12-2019, 08:46 AM