Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chrome to remove support for adblockers
Chrome to remove support for adblockers
I didn't seem to get much notice in the other thread, so let me start with a more explicit title.  Unless you are paying for Chrome Enterprise Edition, Google Chrome browser will be removing the ability for ad blockers to block more than 30,000 ads.  If you use uBlock Origin, it will stop working in a future update.  If you use the EasyList with any ad blocker, you will have to choose which half of the list gets blocked.  AdBlock Plus by eyeo, a trusted partner of Google, will not be affected.

One day soon, your copy of Chrome will be automatically updated, and the ad blocker will stop working.  This is not something Google is going to back off of.  Developers have asked technical questions, and gotten responses in marketing-speak.  They claim that they are not removing the extension API -- but not answering any questions about how they're removing the specific part of that API used to block advertising.  It's almost as if a massive advertising company doesn't want you to be able to block advertising and tracking.

This is enough to make me want to sever my ties with Google.  It's one thing to advertise, but it's another to use your market dominance to prevent people from opting out of advertising and tracking.  I've started a Fastmail account on a trial basis.  (If you're freaked about the Australian internet backdoor law, you can consider ProtonMail instead, but I'm honestly not that worried.)

The developer community is like, well, the top ranked story on Hacker News is this page: Switch from Chrome to Firefox -- and a good 1500 votes ahead of its nearest rival story.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto

Messages In This Thread
Chrome to remove support for adblockers - by Labster - 05-30-2019, 11:05 PM