Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Situation Vacant] Reactor Chief Engineer
RE: [Situation Vacant] Reactor Chief Engineer
I don't know enough of Sailor Moon to come up with a viable awards structure - people are welcome to change them. And yes, that was my intention for Anika.

------

To the Council for Chivalry, Heraldry and Commemoration, I, Jet Jaguar, Baron Frigga, do make the following recommendations for awards, pursuant to the reactor accident of May 7th, 2025

-----

A mechanical failure with a fusion reactor created the potential for a disaster unparalleled in the history of civilisation in space. Had this failure achieved its full gravity, it is likely all of those who made Frigga their home would have perished in the most grotesque and lingering manner.

The reactor exploded, caught fire, and threatened to melt through into the water tanks below the core. Had this occurred, the resulting explosive reaction would have ruptured any containment around the core, and likely resulted in the damage or destruction of the remaining reactors.

The release of radiation to the station environment would have been catastrophic.

All of those on Frigga met this challenge without panic, and with unparalleled courage and determination. Regardless of the cause of the accident, or where the official blame will lie, every single member of the station's company should be applauded for their stoicism, their courage, and their willingness to do what was necessary to prevent a new Chernobyl.

Frigga was saved - not by singular heroes, or supermen or amazons - but by people who go to work every day and who had a job to do. Frigga was saved by its Engineers, Miners and Firefighters. They met a challenge far beyond their normal workday. They met a hazard - one utterly invisible, but intensely lethal in the most grotesque of manners

Frigga was saved by those people who go to work every day in Fenspace, without anyone realising they exist. Frigga was saved by the people Fenspace takes for granted.

The reactor operators continuously tried to save the reactor, worked to contain the damage and once the true gravity of the threat became apparent, acted swiftly to secure and safe all three remaining reactors. The station’s engineers designed and built a system of pipework to safely drain the coolant tanks to a safe storage location. The station’s miners dug a tunnel under a burning reactor which they knew could have exploded at any moment. They risked digging through into water tanks filled with intensely radioactive, boiling hot coolant to create a path to drain the tanks safely. The station’s firefighters manned and operated their appliances throughout the crisis, maintaining and fuelling their pumps until the cooling tanks were safely drained.

Subsequently, it was discovered that the ruins of the reactor had melted down into the drained .coolant tanks, and subsequently into the cut tunnel.

These are the people who fought Godzilla and won.

On some level, the reactor will contribute to the deaths of us all. Therefore, the memorial wall built on the main concourse will be engraved with the name of all 527 people who were on Frigga at the time of the explosion, regardless of their participation in the subsequent mitigation.

----

The unusual size of the station, and the impossibility of a centralised fire defense system requires the maintenance of a watch of trained fire fighters. Frigga is unique amongst settlements in the Crystal Millenium in that a Fire Brigade is maintained.

Members of 6th Platoon, Sailor’s Armed Militia Frigga, form the Frigga Volunteer Fire Brigade.

These members met the fire in Reactor Four with courage, and a willingness to expose themselves to the unseen dangers of radiation in order to prevent the catastrophic release of radioactivity into the station as a whole. Members of the fire brigade continuously monitored their vehicles and equipment of the course of 24 hours, consciously exposing themselves to gamma radiation fields in excess of a thousand Roentgen per hour.

Members of the fire brigade received personal doses in excess of the 25 Rem limit, refuelling their fire engines, repairing leaks in pump lines , monitoring water level in the bubbler tanks and suppressing hotspots in the dividing wall between reactors 3 and 4.

I therefore collectively nominate 6th Platoon, Sailors Armed Miltia Frigga, for Lunar Banner, First Order.

Firefighters to be individually nominated for the Jupiter Tiara of Courage.

----

The explosion of the reactor was of such force that the internal containment wall partially collapsed, and the external containment wall was damaged. This wall separated the station main landing bay from the reactor turbine hall.

It was necessary to shore the damaged wall up to prevent a catastrophic release of radiation. Had this wall collapsed, dust and smoke from the burning reactor would have filled the main landing bay and prevented any defence against further explosion.

This task was performed by volunteers from Frigga Third-shift engineering team. These volunteers knowingly worked in conditions were severe exposure to radiation was a possibility and willingly accepted doses from radioactive smoke and dust particles exceeding the 25 REM limit

I therefore nominate Bao Chang, Maria Green, Leonid Konavalov, Lita Balinese, Anna Freecat and Awhina McKintyre for the Mercury Tiara

---

To drain the tanks beneath reactor 4, it was necessary to cut a tunnel from the sump beneath the reactor 3 turbine hall.

This crew volunteered to operate a blast-driller to cut a hundred meter tunnel. This was done in twelve hours - at great risk to the tunnellers.

This crew faced a risk from the explosive methods of tunnelling employed, and the speed of tunnelling required. There was an ever present risk of a further explosion of the reactor if the core melt reached the water tanks which would be instantly lethal to all involved. There was a risk that the accelerated tunnelling method would trigger a collapse of the water tanks above, flooding the excavation with boiling, radioactive water

I therefore nominate, Steiner Amundsen, Kira Shorttail, Nerima Tabby, Minnie-May Hopkins, Aria Stormwater, Timothy Camry, Ekua Obiakolem, Jake Applebee and Mirai Yashima for the award of the Jupiter Tiara of Courage

---

Shortly after the explosion, it became clear that damaged had occurred to a bulkhead wall separating the Reactor 4 turbine hall, from the public landing bay.

Lun personally volunteered to inspect damage to a bulkhead wall, understanding that damage to this wall may well result in potentially lethal exposure to radioactivity to anyone in its vicinity.

Lun discovered damage to the wall, and took measurements of the activity of smoke, and on reading them as ‘off-scale high’ on her dosimeter, withdrew to safety.

After reporting back on the precarious condition of this wall and the extent of the damage, Lun took it on her own initiative to organise the crew of the spacecraft bearing her name and made this spacecraft ready to sail within one hour.

This enabled the safe evacuation of all 53 children from the station.

I therefore nominate Lun Alekseeva for consideration for the Mercury Tiara

----

6 months after the accident,on November 15th, 2025, a holding tank fractured, causing a leak of water contaminated by reactor debris. This debris was highly radioactive and triggered an alarm

Marco Ricci investigated the alarm, believing it to be caused by a failed sensor. In the process, Marco Ricci suffered fatal radiation exposure.

The resulting leak threatened to contaminate the entire station.

The leak was sealed by twenty people, who worked in relays, exposing themselves to pooled water contaminated with reactor debris. Radiation fields exceeded one thousand Roentgen per hour. The leak was sealed and the flooded compartment was pumped dry.

Therefore I nominate the following;

Steinar Amundsen
Moserah Andreyevna
Yuri Arisagawa
Iridia Blackwood
Bao Chang
Leroy Fireman
Anna Freecat
Maria Green
Kim Kashira
Nanami Kiryuu
Hans Krömeier
Awhina McIntyre
Guy Montag
Lea Morningstar
Mike Reilly
Marco Ricci
Nichola Rickets
Kira Shorttail
Nermia Tabby
Mitsuru Tsuwabuki
Mirai Yashima

For consideration for the Order Of Endymion the Protector

All of those involved experienced varying symtoms of acute radiation illness. All have recovered. Long term consequences are not known. Marco Ricci has survived due to the use of full-body cybernetic conversion, but is still subject to life-limiting restrictions.

----

After destruction of the reactor, two attempts were made to survey the damaged reactor with exocomps. Both of these failed due to radiation. Frigga Volunteer Fire Brigade were instructed to breach the reactor compartment and report back on conditions in the reactor chamber.

Firefighter Kim Hyung-Jung operated the hydraulic ram which force open the reactor chamber door. The ram forced the door open, permitting intensely radioactive smoke and dust to exit the reactor compartment. This smoke carried highly radioactive hot particles, including fragments of the reactor core structure itself. The radiation field was of such intensity that it caused the personal warning devices of all those present to activate within seconds.

Kim pushed the ram off the doorway, permitting it to slam closed again, sealing the chamber. In the process, Kim received a radiation exposure in excess of 150 Rem, suffered from acute radiation syndrome, and experienced beta burns to his hand and arm. Kim's quick thinking in sealing the door saved his comrades from serious radiation injuries. By sealing the door, Kim enabled us to fight the catastrophe without also having to fight intense radiation from the resulting smoke and hot particles.

Kim's actions greatly limited the exposure to radiation of the people of Frigga and likely saved the lives of those mitigating the accident.

It is not known what long term effects Kim will suffer as a result of his exposure.

Therefore I nominate Kim Hyung-Jung for consideration for the Order Of Endymion the Protector

-----

After the incident in Reactor four, it was necessary to determine what exactly had happened to the core itself - whether the core was intact, or whether it had been destroyed.

Without this information, it would not have been possible to make an informed decision on the correct course of action to defend against the consequences of the accident.

Station computer operator Anika Daini volunteered to pilot a specially modified motoroid into a radiation field exceeding 10,000 roentgen per hour to determine the extent of damage to Frigga reactor four. Anika had been built with radiation shielding. It could not be known what the effects of such high radiation fields would be on her cybernetic nature. Radiation had already destroyed two unshielded exocomps.

At great personal risk, she surveyed the damage to the core, determined that it was the reactor itself that was burning, and revealed the hazard created by the burning reactor and the coolant water tanks. This survey of the damaged reactor allowed for a coordinated plan to be developed to save Frigga and prevent a further, disastrous explosion.

It is not known what long term damage or lasting effects Anika has suffered due to her exposure to intense radiation fields.

Therefore, I would humbly ask that Anika be nominated for consideration for the Eternal Order of the Celestial Star

-----

The delay in nominations was my own and is not something the nominated were responsible for. The decision to keep the accident secret was mine alone. My greatest fear was that those who’d faced down the nemesis of radiation, would instead be cursed as the ones who created the accident in the first place.

This has proved to be true, from several quarters.

What was faced on Frigga was unique in the history of Fenspace. It was, almost unique in the history of mankind.

Frigga was saved.

Give under my Official Signature
30th April, 2026.
Baron Frigga
Jet Jaguar.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.

Messages In This Thread
RE: [Situation Vacant] Reactor Chief Engineer - by Dartz - 01-26-2020, 02:30 PM